Driving Glasses

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
I have for many years required distance corrective lenses. Great for things far away but I have never been able to read with them on.
One day driving without them I noticed how remarkably clear the gauges were in my daily driver.
Decided to try bifocals, then progressives, trifocals etc. Too narrow a field of vision side to side in the lower tiny half moon.
Decided what I needed was the entire lower half set for close range and the upper corrected for distance.
When I asked an optician about this the response was--"oh yeah, they're kind of a dinosaur, nobody wants them any more." Of course not when hardly anyone knows about them! or that they are an option.
Ordered a pair as sunglasses. They have a definite ridgeline between upper and lower.
What they do---with a little adjustment so that the transition line is at the top of the dash---everything out the windshield is clear and corrected for distance, everything inside the car is corrected for near range. All gauges clear all the way over to the speedo without having to turn my head or "hunt" for half moon bifocal.
Other owners may have similar problems, especially if using bifocals and I thought I should mention a solution I am really liking. Clear lenses/frames now ordered as well. Unfortunately not available in polarized (if anyone knows any different please let me know). And they may be becoming obsolete. Ask for EXECUTIVE BIFOCALS

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I don't know how anybody does any driving in progressive lenses; I can't see anything in my peripheral vision without turning my head. I have bifocals with a large bottom also, and have found them to be the best combination for me.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Plastic reading glasses, $3.00 a pair at any gunshow.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I have safety glasses that have a section at the bottom for reading. Very cool when your working on something that you also need to see up close on.

John

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
My Optomitrist had me measure the distance from my eyes to the instrument panel of my plane and made lenses with the transition at glairshield height with distance above. These glases work well for driving and flying but not as well for reading and fine detailed work at desk top. So different glasses for driving and flying vs work. P.S. Poleroid glasses are hard to read GPS screens.:cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Aaaaaaaaaaaah, the joys of growing older...:frown

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Aaaaaaaaaaaah, the joys of growing older...:frown

An odd comment ---considering your age Gramps.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My prescription glasses are usually filled with:

1) Scotch
2) Rum & Coca Cola
3) Vodka/Cranberry or Vodka/Ruby Red Grapefruit
4) Maker's Mark Manhattan
5) Beer

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
An odd comment ---considering your age Gramps.

I am THEE fountain of "odd comments"...or haven't you noticed? :tongue

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
My prescription glasses are usually filled with:

1) Scotch
2) Rum & Coca Cola
3) Vodka/Cranberry or Vodka/Ruby Red Grapefruit
4) Maker's Mark Manhattan
5) Beer

Ralphie

I think I would like you as my optomitrist. Next time I see you I'll buy you a MMM so we can toast Bony.:cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good one Ralphie. Soon, you'll need my services.