Driving Comparo: Ford GT vs. Gallardo

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
DISCLAIMER: I have no agenda here. I love both cars and will not try to justify my move from a GT to a Gallardo. I have never driven either car on the track. I drove the GT for about 1300 miles in many different conditons, including my favorite canyon drive. I have driven the Gallardo about 350 miles on the same roads, including the canyon drive. I also posted this at the Lamborghini web site, so I've tried to be as objective as I can. Okay, for what its worth, here it is:

Power:

The GT has immense thrust, and it just gushes out like a fire hose all the way up the tach. The gearing is very tall; it's amazing that the monster motor still pulls those tall gears without a whimper. 60 mph comes in first gear, allowing for those incredible 0-60 times you see in the mags. Immense fun to drive, especially when you add in the whine of the supercharger. Torque is stupendous, from way down low. There is the slightest delay in throttle response due to the supercharger.

The Gallardo is a different animal altogether. The throttle response in much more sharp than the GT; there is no lag between touching the loud peddle and blast off. Reminds me of my sport bike. Amazingly, this makes the Gallardo "feel" faster than the GT sometimes, especially in normal street driving. The torque is not equivalent to the GT and you can't feel it like you can in the GT, down low. However, I was very impressed with the flexibility of Gallardo engine compared to a 360 (which I found to be zingy and pipey).

Seat of the pants power analysis: Gallardo wins for throttle response and sharpness, GT wins for torque at ANY rpm. Sheer velocity under wide open throttle: GT :thumbsup

Engine sound:

The GT has that cool supercharger whine, and the engine note is very unique from other American iron because of the short route from engine to exhaust. It sounds great.

I had the dealer put a Tubi on the Gallardo before delivery, so this isn't a fair comparison. However, I must say that it makes the hair on my neck stand up when I fire it up. I mean, that baby BARKS! The small bore V-10 makes a high pitched wail that no big bore V-8 can match. Also, the GT redlines way lower than the Gallardo.

Unfair advantage: Gallardo

Handling:

The GT is super user friendly. The controls are surprisingly light and easy to master on the first drive. Clutch work is like driving a Honda, turn in is razor sharp, the breaks are superb, and the steering feel is very reassuring and communicative. Makes you feel like a hero driver, even if you're not. Outward visibility, however, is scary. The car is wide, and your passenger is always cringing away from the shoulder, wondering when you are going to hang a tire off.

The Gallardo's controls feel heavier and more deliberate than the GT, although still not bad. The steering ratio feels a tad slower and the wheel effort is higher in the twisties. Turn-in is not as sharp, although this may be an alignment decision made at the factory. The Gallardo is head and shoulders above other sports cars I have driven, but not as keen and responsive as the GT. Keep in mind that I drive the car 7/10ths, and I have yet to explore the limits of the Gallardo. Your experience may vary. Outward visibility in the Gallardo is superior in every way to the GT.

Advantage: GT :thumbsup

Ride Quality.

The Ford guys worked magic. The GT is stiff without being harsh. The Gallardo is stiff. Period.

Advantage: GT :thumbsup

Build Quality

The GT was fast tracked from inception to final product, and frankly, it shows. Kudos to Ford for the brass to build the GT, but another year of product development would have helped. The car kind of has a kit car quality to it. In fairness to Ford, I think they invisioned the car as a limited production race car first, and a consumer product second. They succeeded. It's pure heaven as far as vehicle dynamics go, but for the guy who likes tight body gaps and fully developed product design, the little things that aren't right on the GT will drive you bonkers. Lucky are the guys that don't sweat that stuff, but I'm not one of them.

The Gallardo is a jewel. Much better than I had anticipated. It may be the first flawless new car I have ever owned, and that is saying something with my compulsive pickiness. Reminds me of my NSX, or a Lexus that I owned, except better. In terms of fit and finish, the comparison between the GT and the Gallardo is not even close.

Advantage: Gallardo

Gawk factor (faces plastered against windows, people hanging out of car windows, crowds at gas stations, thumbs up, etc.)

Believe it or not, it seems that the Gallardo is even more of an attraction than the GT, and that is saying something! The whole "pimp factor" thing bugs me, and I personally find it the least attractive facet of exotic car ownership, but then I again, I've been happily married for twenty two years and have two kids. However, for those who like to be seen and noticed, the Gallardo outdoes the GT.

Looks/Design

Yea, right. Like I'm going to open that can of worms. :biggrin Both look great parked and on the road. Both make you happy to be a car guy when you see them coming your way.

Overall experience:

I guess the best way I can sum it up is with an analogy to food; the GT is like a perfectly prepared T-Bone steak with baked potato and corn on the cob -- hearty and satisfying. The Gallardo is like the best italian meal you can dream of, zest, passion, flair. In both cases, you leave the table happy for what you experienced. For me, the biggest difference between the two is exactly what you might expect -- the GT is all about American racing heritage and big bore, stump pulling grunt, combined with VERY athletic vehicle dynamics. The Gallardo is a celebration of a passion for the mechanical art of the automobile, from the wail of the the V-10 to the cache of the Lamborghini name, to the absolutely inspiring attention to product quality. It is a true exotic, at least as I have defined that term since drooling over the Countach in Motor Trend in junior high.

Hope the reader finds this to be of some interest.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
thanks for a great post! appreciate your views very much!! enjoy your new ride to the fullest! :biggrin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Great review Walter. I've heard that post-audi, the quality of Lambos has gone sky high. Slightly more teutonic in nature, but a wailing Italian beast nonetheless. Both cars have their pros and cons, but each is a car little boys dream about...so you can't go wrong with either :cheers

Toss up some pics of that thing!

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
Very good thread. My buddy owns the Lambo and the quality is very high and the GT is "kit like". My only comment is based on personal preference, the best looking exotic (to me) is the GT. I love the fluid lines and low wide profile.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Thanks for the Cool Post.
I think this is a great comparison!
The GT still my choice.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Something i posted somewhere else re Gallardo weakness vs GT strength, commenting the lack of punch for mid revv acceleration encountered of the Gallardo on the highway vs a simple F360Spyder..

While the Gallardo is defintely seeing advantages around the track due to extra traction out of the bends,
the situation described is THE standard driving game on the highway... so no tight turns to take, and as Idescribed, a lot of mid revv acceleration once traffic cleares.. I did not expect the Gallardo to be so weak then, a real surprise to us ! I've drive it myself, but you only notice car to car..

THAT must be THE Achilles heel of the four wheel drivetrain concept, by all logic, unfortunately you'll see yourself in this situation very often during regular street car use
Just thought this to be relevant here to highlight, as THIS is often not noticed or even recognized when commenting the car and its drivetrain concept, and it is most likely THE ABSOLUTE area of Superiority of our GT, with it's massive torque across a wide range of revvs and powerfull backhand drive..

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
It's interesting that the "kit car" aspect of the GT is brought up as a major disadvantage.

My folks are in town for Thanksgiving, and as a result I watched the Discovery Channel program on the GT with them (I'd ordered it a few months ago, and already seen it on Discovery, but never sat down and watched the DVD until yesterday).

While I agree that body panel gaps and some interior materials are not up to "exotic" standards (especially with Audi now in the exotic car field...), I am continually amazed at what Ford did in making the GT, and I feel the Discovery program captures it quite well. Between the time constraints and the limited resources (remember, Ford continues to try and pull off a much needed recovery effort for the entire company), the fact that a world-class exotic car could be produced under those circumstances is rather astonishing. :eek

Everytime I think the car's looks -- or power delivery -- or heritage -- is my favorite aspect, I remember that this is a FORD product produced under incredibly challenging circumstances, and thus it represents a remarkable victory on a level most people probably don't even think about. If you're ultimately an American car fan (which I unabashedly am), the GT is simply a dream come true.

In the light of that, I find myself totally oblivious to any and all production/development issues on the car that are less than 100% perfect.

But that's just me...

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
I posted this over on svt. My first try at capturing an exotic on the road with my camera phone. GT's will be out in March, and I'll be ready. Wish I dropped the window.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
thankgiving to Henry III Ford !

ENZO BTR said:
Between the time constraints and the limited resources (remember, Ford continues to try and pull off a much needed recovery effort for the entire company), the fact that a world-class exotic car could be produced under those circumstances is rather astonishing. :eek

Everytime I think the car's looks -- or power delivery -- or heritage -- is my favorite aspect, I remember that this is a FORD product produced under incredibly challenging circumstances, and thus it represents a remarkable victory on a level most people probably don't even think about. If you're ultimately an American car fan (which I unabashedly am), the GT is simply a dream come true.

In the light of that, I find myself totally oblivious to any and all production/development issues on the car that are less than 100% perfect.

But that's just me...

You are not alone ! All hail, to men who live to fill a real passionate history and make it happen. Ford has never been so high in my regards, since the T model vison coming to life. I think all three of the Ford's deserve the ultimate against all odds respect. ! I am with you, Karl in your thanksgiving praise here. Applause to Ford, look at the big picture and what came out of vision and passion... -REAL American SOUL !