Driving a gravle road

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
Just trying to get something started.
Any one live on a gravle road besides myself.My car is clean for 30 feet and then I off the drive way for a mile or so.

Attachments

• pic03588.jpg
    pic03588.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 253

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
711 said:
Any one live on a gravle road besides myself.My car is clean for 30 feet and then I off the drive way for a mile or so.

no... sorry, but let us know what mommy has to say :biggrin

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
711, I have the same problem out here on the farm. Looking at putting on a set of mud flaps and some Wranglers on all fours for the winter. Maybe a lift kit too. Dirt is hell on these cars. :eek

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
That's exactly why I move from Catawissa, MO before buying my GT.

futuregtowner

Sep 16, 2006
SE Arizona
Back to you, 711...............

FINALLY!!!! I too live off the beaten path, in southeastern AZ. Been wondering myself about this same subject, as it weighs heavily on my decision (I WILL BUY THE CAR, though), how to "carry" it over the dirt, rocks, and ditches to get it to the nearest asphalt. The new house is under construction and we live out in an "open range" area.......cattle roam and cow pies abound everywhere, the real wet ones, kinda green in color. The nearest asphalt is at least 6 miles away! I might have to park it in a mini storage unit somewhere, which makes me REAL uneasy, so I'm thinking to buy a bigger trailer, keep it in my new garage at home, and then haul it with the F150, unload it, and take off. Anybody got any better ideas?????

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
How about a lift kit with big :banana nubby tires? :banana

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
OK Guys I have all that stuff to but Iam i Minnesota. All that wimpering from AZ, CA, and Atlanta where is that. I though they only had gators and sketers that lived thier. Do you think I will have clearance to drive out on the lake this winter to go fishing and where do you put your ice augers?

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
The GT works great on ice...as long as there's Dewar's (scotch) with it.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Kirby Vieira said:
How about a lift kit with big :banana nubby tires? :banana

be sure and add some 4 inch wheel spacers too, for looks

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Interesting

711 said:
I don't think I live "besides" you and I know I don't live on a "gravle" road.....is that anything like a "gravel" road? Oh, btw, what do you mean after 30 feet you "off" the driveway? Sorry, I just couldn't resist. LOL

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
Thats ok Prowler my "speeling" has to do with brian to keyboard,not foot to peadls. I have a 30 foot slab then its dirt road for 1.5 back to the real road

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I live half a mile up an unmade dirt road - sand and mud. Unfortunately there's not too much I can do. The cars stay pretty clean in the summer as I drive up and down it very slowly - in wet weather it's hopeless.

6 miles off the road would be enough to make me think of trailering the car to the proper road - or (if it's your own land) putting water down there and hosing it off when you reach the road.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aha - The Off Road Syndrome

I too live “Off Road”; my ½ mile of private road is caliche [pronounced CA – LICH - E] crushed limestone.
Life is good in the country, but does present it’s own set of issues; one of which is keeping the GT clean.
When I did the 1st oil change, I took the belly pans off and waxed both sides to help to keep the dust from sticking.
Also upon returning home I fire up the compressor & blow dust off the car and wheels.
Have thought about paving the road, but is very expensive.
Have lived with it for almost 20 years and have accepted the “Off Road” challenges along with enjoying the advantages.
Guess it’s a matter of choice.

futuregtowner

Sep 16, 2006
SE Arizona
There's dirt and then there's DIRT..............

I mentioned that I live in a rural area and that the new house (under construction) is approx. 6 miles from asphalt. I wish, as SPIRIT mentioned, I had the luxury of caliche or even crushed granite. What we got is like talcum powder. (Did I mention the cow pies or the ruts or the washes or long stretches of wash-board?) It's just that when it rains everything turns to mud and when it's sunny, EVERYTHING has that fine blanket of dirt.

I'm not complaining.......me and the mrs. picked this area because we think it's "heaven-on-earth", really! And yes the car will be a reality within a few months; other priorities right now.

But to NOT have a GT someday..............

There are just too many perfect roads with twists and turns and ungodly long stretches that scream at me, "We'll be waiting"!!!

PS. When I had my airplanes, I always used a good coating of Mequiars #7 Car Glaze on the leading edges. This way, after returning from a flight, the bugs came off VERY easily. On the other hand, I will be keenly interested, in the coming months, to learn the pros and cons about the 3M company "clear bra" which I've read about on the GT Forum.

Last edited: