DO YOU TRICKLE ?

DALLAS

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2006
I hav a question...DOES ANYONE TRICKLE?.....Afteral the GT doesnt get driven that often and I would like an opinion/advice. Thanks for the help.

DALLAS

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yes, but a couple of good shakes eliminate any embarassing stains on my trousers :biggrin

:banana :banana

Yes, I leave a battery tender trickle charger that came from Griots Garage (translation, I paid 20% to much) attached to the car as it sits more than being driven.

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I use a Battery Tender that was made for my Harley. I used it on the Viper, and I use it on the GT.

I attached a pigtail (accessory from Battery Tender for about $7) to the battery and it exits at the front of the car.

My GT is on trickle charge as soon as it enters the garage. If you do not drive the car often, it is especially a good idea.

- doc

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
No trickling.

Just driving.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I use a Battery Tender.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
DALLAS said:
I hav a question...DOES ANYONE TRICKLE?.....Afteral the GT doesnt get driven that often and I would like an opinion/advice. Thanks for the help.

DALLAS
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
All my cars are on battery tenders - and, as doc suggests, I use a pigtail device to simply hook up to. The alarm systems are a drain on the battery (particularly Tracker style systems) so it's vital if you're going to leave the car for more than a week.

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Thats a good question. Is the factory charger a "trickle charger" or a "battery tender" ? Big diff. If its a trickle charger I would not leave it hooked up for days and days and days. Battery tenders are a much better technology

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
With our last car, we would drive it, let it sit for 10 days, drive it, let it sit for a week.

One day, the battery was dead. The doors automatically locked.

After the second occurrence, and even though people told us this was not necessary, we simply moved the Battery Tender from the Harley to the car.

My understanding is that devices such as Battery Tender will extend the life of a battery.

In either case, it was great to know that the car would always start.

(However, try to remember that to unplug the unit from the car...er...it is rumored that someone forgot one time...just a rumor).

- doc

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I just park on top of a hill. I removed the battery and tied the leads together. Plus that's 30 lbs off the front end.

escman

GT Owner
Nov 16, 2005
Long Island, NY
Search "battery super charger" on ebay, you will find a 3amp battery tender type device. They are made for and approved by Optima for the type of battery that we have. I extended the permanent type cable to come up at the right rear of the boot liner.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I always trickle .... pd

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Need to get Jay to look at finishing the solar powered Wireless Charger for Nuclear lights! :biggrin

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Late night engineering!

MAD IN NC said:
Need to get Jay to look at finishing the solar powered Wireless Charger for Nuclear lights! :biggrin
Come on guys! I actually was working on this thing real late last night. I had better be ready to start cutting metal by this weekend! Jay

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
I travel a lot and the car sits for a month or more every time. What happens if you disconnect the battery every time you go away and connect it when you come back ?