Differences between is Mk I, II, III & IV ?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Is there a definitive site or book that describes the differences between the 60s GT40s? I'm not very knowledgeable and am wondering about things like how to tell which is which, how a Mk IV won in 67 but a Mk I won in 68 & 69 (assuming wikipedia's right 😯), etc ...

Thanks 🍻

Reactions: GT@50

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I have a bunch of books on this subject... see this thread

This recent book will get you up to speed on the different GT40's- despite the title, it's not just about the 1966 cars and race.

Reactions: extrap

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What HE said!

In addition:

Q #1 Short answer: 'Biggest diff was the MKI & MKIII were small block powered. The MKIII was the 'street version' of the GT40 MKI and had a longer rear deck for 'trunk' purposes. The MKII and MKIV were designed to accept the 427 FE.

Q #2 Short answer: That's just the way things worked out. ('Not being a wise guy.)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
"68 and "69 were won by Privateers. John Wyer. These were the Gulf Liveried cars.

IMO, They are the most beautiful and desirable of all the GT40's.

Thankfully, our cars were an homage to the MK !.

A great read;

Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans: Baime, A. J.: 9780547336053: Amazon.com: Books

Reactions: Roadtrip and extrap

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Here’s a cool pic I have from the winner of Sebring ‘69.AFEF281A-F0E7-4DB5-9F22-FA84CA2AFBF1.jpeg

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
...Thankfully, our cars were an homage to the MK !.

True, but I would love to see a modern interpretation of the MKIV by the same design team, I had incorrectly guessed the NFGT would be based on the MKIV when the rumors were just rumors.

I love the final result but, I had always been curious to know if the Ford team had even considered using the MKIV as the basis of either the '05-'06 or '17-'22 cars during initial design pitch and development stages.