Deep Sleep Mode??

jnirenstein

GT Owner
May 3, 2014
Norcal
Hi all! For the second time in several months I have received an alert on the Fordpass App on my phone saying that my car (2019 K235) has gone into "deep sleep" mode. I have always put my car on the supplied trickle charger immediately after every time I use it as it sits in my shop which is 1/2 hour from my house and I never know when I'm going to drive it next. No one at Ford so far has been able to answer the question: "Will my car go into deep sleep after some period of time of non use REGARDLESS of it being on the trickle charger?" If it does, does this imply that perhaps the connection is not good? Or too much resistance between the attachment points for the charger and the battery? For the record I have the charger hooked up in the front of the car. When I went to visit my car yesterday to see if somehow the alligator clamps had come loose or other issue there was no problem and the lights on the charger were both green... The car started fine with no issues.. Any thoughts??

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
My car is garaged about a half hour away from my house too… and I am keeping it on the trickle charger as per the recommendations as well. I am plugging it in the back charging port, and have not had any problems yet. With the uncertainty of the shelter in place these days, I have been keeping the drivers window cracked down about a half of an inch just in case it goes into a deep sleep mode, but have not had a problem yet. How long are you letting it sit between drives? Do you have the 7 amp charger?

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The newer cars (since I would say April 2019) came with stronger 7 amp chargers to wake up a sleeping battery. Earlier cars have a 2 amp that could not. The newer charger can be purchased, which some of us have done (directly from dealer, no concierge involvement). Frank the tank had a problem about a month ago with a dead battery, but his was not charged. No other problems have been reported here. Leaving a window open is great advice. Why are you not using the charging port in the trunk? I bought a nice pigtail attachment from the manufacturer so I no longer need the alligator clips.

jnirenstein

GT Owner
May 3, 2014
Norcal
The newer cars (since I would say April 2019) came with stronger 7 amp chargers to wake up a sleeping battery. Earlier cars have a 2 amp that could not. The newer charger can be purchased, which some of us have done (directly from dealer, no concierge involvement). Frank the tank had a problem about a month ago with a dead battery, but his was not charged. No other problems have been reported here. Leaving a window open is great advice. Why are you not using the charging port in the trunk? I bought a nice pigtail attachment from the manufacturer so I no longer need the alligator clips.
Good question about the trunk!!
Thanks for the thoughts. Good question about the trunk.. I was told (and it made sense to me) that the battery is up under the Passenger side front wheel. Thereby having he trickle charger attached to the front trunk jump start attachment points would result in MUCH less resistance built up in the wiring between the battery and the charger and therefore it would charge more efficiently. I took delivery of the car in late October of 2019 so I am not sure if this is a 7amp or 2 amp charger. All my other "Battery Tender" chargers are 2 amp chargers. I will check. What I am trying to determine is if the car goes into "deep sleep" does that mean the battery has lost enough charge to trigger that mode or What exactly triggers the "deep Sleep" mode? Time between starts? Battery health? The Fordpass app? Other? Thanks for the thoughts!! I ALWYAS leave the cars Driver side window open enough to get my hand in just in case of complete failure. Clearly the right thing to do.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Kaiser Darrin......nice.

ScottK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Hi all! For the second time in several months I have received an alert on the Fordpass App on my phone saying that my car (2019 K235) has gone into "deep sleep" mode. I have always put my car on the supplied trickle charger immediately after every time I use it as it sits in my shop which is 1/2 hour from my house and I never know when I'm going to drive it next. No one at Ford so far has been able to answer the question: "Will my car go into deep sleep after some period of time of non use REGARDLESS of it being on the trickle charger?" If it does, does this imply that perhaps the connection is not good? Or too much resistance between the attachment points for the charger and the battery? For the record I have the charger hooked up in the front of the car. When I went to visit my car yesterday to see if somehow the alligator clamps had come loose or other issue there was no problem and the lights on the charger were both green... The car started fine with no issues.. Any thoughts??

It’s a time based event and is not driven by battery voltage. If there isn’t any electrical activity (door open, key on, lock/unlock (FOB or FordPass), etc) for 15 days then systems that have the slightest draw are shut down to preserve the battery from being completely drained. Not sure which electrical architecture version it was introduced but it in but spans all current Ford and Lincoln vehicles. FordPass alerted you because the modem had power removed. Although it’s not clearly spelled out in the message, without the modem, FordPass can’t do things like lock/unlock, start, check fuel level, and anything else that requires a communication channel. Hope that helps.

jnirenstein

GT Owner
May 3, 2014
Norcal
It’s a time based event and is not driven by battery voltage. If there isn’t any electrical activity (door open, key on, lock/unlock (FOB or FordPass), etc) for 15 days then systems that have the slightest draw are shut down to preserve the battery from being completely drained. Not sure which electrical architecture version it was introduced but it in but spans all current Ford and Lincoln vehicles. FordPass alerted you because the modem had power removed. Although it’s not clearly spelled out in the message, without the modem, FordPass can’t do things like lock/unlock, start, check fuel level, and anything else that requires a communication channel. Hope that helps.
Awesome!! Thanks for the answer. That clears up the mystery for me!!

jnirenstein

GT Owner
May 3, 2014
Norcal
Kaiser Darrin......nice.
Thanks!! Most people don't even know what it is!!IMG_4172 2.jpeg

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Thanks!! Most people don't even know what it is!!View attachment 59955
Love the "pocket doors" on the Kaiser!!!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Doors are cool!
The roof, not so much.
Mark

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I was told leave window down just enough so it wont catch the weather stripping?

jnirenstein

GT Owner
May 3, 2014
Norcal
Doors are cool!
The roof, not so much.
Mark
Actually the roof is one of the cool features. It can be used in 3 positions. Closed all the way (snaps to the windshield); in the "landau" position (as Shown), and completely folded down into the rear storage compartment. No roll-up windows though so you gotta use side curtains if it rains!!

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
I received the same "Deep Sleep Mode" alert on the FordPass app on my smartphone about two months ago. At the time, my GT had been sitting on the local Ford dealer's showroom floor for a couple of weeks. I knew that my battery tender was connected to the jumper posts under the bonnet, so the alert was somewhat of a surprise to me.

I reached out to Jessica Taylor, my Concierge, and asked about the alert. Jessica bounced my inquiry to Ford GT Concierge Client Services Manager, TJ Shaw. TJ reached out to the Ford Subject Matter Expert and received the attached response back from the Ford SME... in case you are interested.

Basically, the alert is not usually a big deal; but it could be....

Attachments

• Deep Sleep Mode.pdf
    113.2 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: 93extxdps

jnirenstein

GT Owner
May 3, 2014
Norcal
I received the same "Deep Sleep Mode" alert on the FordPass app on my smartphone about two months ago. At the time, my GT had been sitting on the local Ford dealer's showroom floor for a couple of weeks. I knew that my battery tender was connected to the jumper posts under the bonnet, so the alert was somewhat of a surprise to me.

I reached out to Jessica Taylor, my Concierge, and asked about the alert. Jessica bounced my inquiry to Ford GT Concierge Client Services Manager, TJ Shaw. TJ reached out to the Ford Subject Matter Expert and received the attached response back from the Ford SME... in case you are interested.

Basically, the alert is not usually a big deal; but it could be....
Awesome! Thanks..

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That is great. Thank you very much.

Mods - you should make this a sticky