Dead battery-- easy fix 2020 NFGT

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I just recently had to deal with this.

10 second delay after repeated tries failed to work.
Battery was down to only 1.1 Volts!

Dead as a door nail.

Here is what worked for me.
Kept the electronic charger plugged into the wall and the port in the trunk, hooked a fully charged battery to the jumper posts in the front.

System came to life immediately and woke the in car battery which flashed the charger to detect the battery.

Took 13 hours to revive the battery fully. The charger got very warm to the touch from 2 to 4 during charging program which was about 10 hours.
This had me more then a little concerned so I placed a fan to circulate air on the charger.

Seems to be okay now but I wonder how much wear and tear this causes to the battery and shorten its life when becoming severely discharged like this.
Hey Stef,
Thanks for the info on reviving a battery. I have a 21, and was told that, the batteries had been changed/updated. This battery would go into a sleep mode at approx 11v's and there was a button on the charger to wake the battery and car to try and start it to get it to the dealer/ or charge. I have to two charger locations, and was told the one closest to the battery (front hood) was the shorter run and better location to charge from. Not sure when this change happened or if there was a recall to update the system.
Amazing you could revive a battery from 1.1v . Fan on the charger was a good call especially in the southwest during this summer! The CTEK charger is a very good system. Use one on my 05, and it's saved a "dead" battery more than once.
Bruce

Reactions: Stef

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think it was April '19 when the new chargers came out. Several of us bought the new charger. The + and - terminal access up front is standard on all cars. I have pigtail attached to each one. ByeEnzo has a picture posted in this thread.

Reactions: Nafod

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Since I don't have a NFGT, I haven't paid too close attention to the battery issue. But since I might own one at some point, let me ask: Do the NFGTs have AGM or lithium batteries?

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Since I don't have a NFGT, I haven't paid too close attention to the battery issue. But since I might own one at some point, let me ask: Do the NFGTs have AGM or lithium batteries?
Lithium. Comes with a LI spec'd CTEK/Ford performance charger

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
That explains the very low resting voltage and that you can revive it. If this is like other LiFePO batteries, it has a built in battery management system (BMS). The BMS not only prevents overcharging, but also limits how far it can discharge to protect it. To "wake up" the BMS you need to provide 12+ volts to the battery terminals, then you can charge it. I've done this with motorcycle batteries several times.

Reactions: Stef

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Hey Stef,
Thanks for the info on reviving a battery. I have a 21, and was told that, the batteries had been changed/updated. This battery would go into a sleep mode at approx 11v's and there was a button on the charger to wake the battery and car to try and start it to get it to the dealer/ or charge. I have to two charger locations, and was told the one closest to the battery (front hood) was the shorter run and better location to charge from. Not sure when this change happened or if there was a recall to update the system.
Amazing you could revive a battery from 1.1v . Fan on the charger was a good call especially in the southwest during this summer! The CTEK charger is a very good system. Use one on my 05, and it's saved a "dead" battery more than once.
Bruce

I agree, the front location (terminals)
would be best. Shorter distance equals less resistance, could be why the charger got hot with the battery so low.
What I will use if I have to do this again.
Like you I'm surprised I was able to revive the battery with almost nothing left. I thought for sure the battery would have to replaced, never hurts to try and it worked, so far?
Even though the CTEK is supposed to diagnose if the battery will hold a charge I have my doubts. I am going to test it without charging and driving and using accessories for a couple days.
Good to hear from you!

Reactions: Nafod

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
That explains the very low resting voltage and that you can revive it. If this is like other LiFePO batteries, it has a built in battery management system (BMS). The BMS not only prevents overcharging, but also limits how far it can discharge to protect it. To "wake up" the BMS you need to provide 12+ volts to the battery terminals, then you can charge it. I've done this with motorcycle batteries several times.

That explains why when I hooked up a 12V the wake up was immediate.
Still I wonder if dropping so low has damaged the battery in any way.
Took the car for short drive today, got back in and plugged in the charger.
Noticed the LED charger lights only went to #2 after a half hour and the charger was getting very warm.
Where before after use and charging several days the charger LED would return to #6 (topped off) within minutes.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Update:
All good, battery holds a charge.
Looks like I saved it.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Was the charged battery that was used to “ wake” the discharged battery in the car a lithium battery as well?
If not, can simply using an installed lead battery from another car using jumper cables be used?

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
No. The remote battery was just a regular lead acid with the jumper cables.
It does not need to be a Lithium battery for this purpose.
Only needs to be a 12V.
You can also use a 'Jump Starter'.
I keep a NOCO GB70 in the trunk wherever I go.
Just in case and if someone needs a little help with a jump.

DLM

Mar 28, 2019
Question, my battery is dead, I think I’ve tried everything listed here and in the links. Has anyone changed one? It appears that the service battery is different, smaller than the 2020 and up to build of 9-22-21, so, the tray and the Lin connector have to be changed also. From the bulletin: “A new design service battery has been released and requires a different battery tray and a different local interconnect network (LIN) connector. This is due to the new battery being smaller and will not properly secure in the original battery tray. The LIN connector socket in the new battery is keyed differently and the original LIN connector will not plug in. The LIN connector will need to be de-pinned, so the new connector shell can be installed.”

just wondering if anyone has tried it since I live in the boonies so it’s 200 miles to the nearest qualified dealer. Thanks.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Flagstaff GT had to change a battery on his 2017. I would guess he went through this.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Question, my battery is dead, I think I’ve tried everything listed here and in the links. Has anyone changed one? It appears that the service battery is different, smaller than the 2020 and up to build of 9-22-21, so, the tray and the Lin connector have to be changed also. From the bulletin: “A new design service battery has been released and requires a different battery tray and a different local interconnect network (LIN) connector. This is due to the new battery being smaller and will not properly secure in the original battery tray. The LIN connector socket in the new battery is keyed differently and the original LIN connector will not plug in. The LIN connector will need to be de-pinned, so the new connector shell can be installed.”

just wondering if anyone has tried it since I live in the boonies so it’s 200 miles to the nearest qualified dealer. Thanks.
Hello DLM, yes you will need to replace the tray and lin connector. It can be a bit challenging to do but can be done at home....the front top tray bolt can be a bit of a challenge I would recommend removing the horns much easier to get to that bolt....also lower the brake cooling duct in the front to gain access to lower tray bolts. Good part about the lithium ion battery is that it is very light and not heavy like a normal battery.
Hope this helps.

Joe

Reactions: JWZ

DLM

Mar 28, 2019
Thanks Joe for the information and tips.
David

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
2021 here and there’s a problem if you don’t have a cigarette lighter charger. Did everyones Ford Performance charger come with one?? All I have is alligator clamps. So the car has been off the front normal charge area with Ford Performance charger for 2 weeks. No access to any Front or rear hatch. Car is dead. I followed the steps but no 12v lighter plug. I get one but it won’t connect to the smart Ford charger Because of Fords special click quick connect. Here is what worked for me. I got a 12v cigarette charger… plugged it in… nothing. So it does have the standard quick connect plug like most normal chargers. I hooked it to some quick connect alligator clamps. This did make the polarity opposite. Now my clamps were now red is black and black is red.…. then I hooked that to the alligator clamps of my regular Walmart battery charger and voila!! And actually I can’t take credit for the reverse polarity. My battery charger beeped and informed me that I had reversed polarity, but then it only made sense as I hooked up alligator clamps to the 12 V charging cord. What are reversed the positive and negative I heard a click. Doors open and car fires right up!!

Attachments

• BDD960B1-7334-46AC-B68E-7B9EA41D9CD3.jpeg
    BDD960B1-7334-46AC-B68E-7B9EA41D9CD3.jpeg
    727.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 8D400C7D-F7C9-4027-8940-2463C8BAC3D0.jpeg
    8D400C7D-F7C9-4027-8940-2463C8BAC3D0.jpeg
    883.5 KB · Views: 11
  • C5E66793-D75A-41D4-8A27-88F51A1CC38C.jpeg
    C5E66793-D75A-41D4-8A27-88F51A1CC38C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11