Dead battery-- easy fix 2020 NFGT

Mar 28, 2019
2020 Ford GT dead battery / charging battery when doors wont open.

I was travelling for several weeks, battery was dead, and I couldnt unlock car or open doors. I search threads on this forum and found all sorts complicated suggestions (take FR wheel off ). Leave windows down 1/2" so you can open doors, etc.. The solution was actually very easy.

1. Take valet key (real metal key that's inside the FOB) and use key hole under right side rear bumper. This opens the rear truck lid.
2. Use FORD GT battery tender by connecting it to the charging port (cigarette lighter port) in the trunk. (The battery tender will not work until you hold down the reset button on the tender for 10 seconds).
3. 10 min of charging later, the car opened and started.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Awesome! Almost sounds too easy ;)

Mar 28, 2019
It was. At first I read threads about get a special jack to lift car, remove front wheel, remove wheel lining to access battery. Others said they broke door window because window wouldnt go down...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yes. Sometimes that process has failed to wake the car.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Dave

Is this why they upgraded the charger to higher amperage?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
....And also the early cars (2017 and maybe even 2018 - I don’t recall) DO NOT HAVE A CHARGE PORT IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.
You must open the hood to the battery.

SO , ON MY 2017 H0098, Joe Sicoli at Milliken installed a charging port in the engine compartment for me! Just like newer models.
Ajb (andy)

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
....And also the early cars (2017 and maybe even 2018 - I don’t recall) DO NOT HAVE A CHARGE PORT IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.
You must open the hood to the battery.

SO , ON MY 2017 H0098, Joe Sicoli at Milliken installed a charging port in the engine compartment for me! Just like newer models.
Ajb (andy)

Can you post a picture?

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Can you post a picture?
Hello Simon,
If you would like I can text you a picture?

Joe

Reactions: Simon

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Joe, thanks, please post picture...
It is ok to use my vehicle if you have a pic of it.
Andy(ajb)

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Can you post a picture?

13AF00D5-3CF5-41C3-AFC7-94491600C8DE.jpeg
You can see the pigtail red/black wire connected to the terminals on the smart junction box top left. Makes it easy to connect the trickle charger on the early cars. If voltage drops enough, the cars battery goes to “sleep”. It has to be “bumped up” directly, bypassing the box. A newer, higher amp charger is used now vs the earlier cars.
I upgraded to one.
On my Mk II, there is a direct port that bypasses the box. I keep a charger directly connected to it.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Are you running your charging cord from under the front hood over the front passenger tire? I'm currently doing that (Steve showed me how) so I can close the hood and still have it connected easily.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Syco, you have a charger port in your back trunk with 12V plug. If you want to continue using the front trunk points, ctek makes a pigtail with ring ends to directly bolt on and you no longer need the alligator clips. Bye Enzo has a pic here. It comes fused or infused and costs $8-10.

Reactions: SYCO GT

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks Doc!

I decided to use the front hood since I can fully close it will I wait for the paint to cure and take some photos. I wasn't aware of the Ctek pigtail with ring ends, and I actually use Ctek chargers, so I will take a look, as I might already have one somewhere, thanks for mentioning that.

I did not hook up to the back trunk port, but when you do, you have to leave the engine cover cracked open a bit, right?

I'll likely transition in any event to that method after I get the wrap completed.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My '18 does not have a rear charger port.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't forget the windshield skin.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Don't forget the windshield skin.

Yes, planning on windshield protective skin and possibly a double layer of expel on the lower doors, did you single or double that area?

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Under doors 2 layers. Also 2 layers where aero tunnel exits onto the lower part of doors.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Whole front 2 layers. Bottoms of doors two layers. Fenders behind wheel wells 2 layers. Fender/door tunnels 2 layers. I did not have side mirrors pulled. Windshield skin done by window tint guy, not clear bra guys. There is no tint in the Windows so I had a relatively clear tint done on side windows. I think it cut out 20% of uv . It helps with heat in the summer, but I may go darker.

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
Yes, planning on windshield protective skin and possibly a double layer of expel on the lower doors, did you single or double that area?

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
I did double on both lower doors. Have not found anyone here to do windshield. They are afraid of cracking issues.