De Tomaso Pantera Pictures & Conversation

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Detomaso Pantera

Many of you have expressed an interest in a thread for posting pictures of Panteras and for sharing information about them. This is a place for GT owners who share a passion for Panteras as well.

Gtinmyblood: You Pantera is a standout. Looks great. Obviously a great deal of time and effort spent building it. :cheers

Posted a picture of my GT5S in the Clean Garage Thread under General Discussion Section. Will have to take some more pictures and post under this thread.

Below are pictures of my 72 Pre-L which went though many reincarnations and finally became a multi award winning show car. In the largest gathering of Panteras in SE (28 Panteras in Orlando FL) it was selected as best Pantera in Show at Auto Italia at the Portofino Hotel in in 1999, 2001 and 2002. Also at Silver Springs FL at a gathering of Fords from all over the SE it was selected as Best of Show in 2001. We got tired of trailering. Found we preferred to cruise with our Pantera friends in our GT5S. Sold in late 2006 The new owner who owns a body shop in PA added it to his collection of Panteras. He continues to show it and has tracked it. The engine is a polished all aluminum Clevor, dynoed at 600 hp at flywheel. In early 1990's engine was in another Pantera clocked at 194 mph at the Silver State Classic.

Attachments

• 98Dside2.JPG
    98Dside2.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 587
  • Engine.JPG
    Engine.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 582
  • 98Pside.JPG
    98Pside.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 579
  • 98Front Hood.JPG
    98Front Hood.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 579
  • 98Interior2.JPG
    98Interior2.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 588

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
well done, do you still have her?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

"Sold in late 2006 The new owner who owns a body shop in PA added it to his collection of Panteras." :wink :cheers

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Panteras

Bony: Sold her in late 2006. She just occupied space on the lift, except for local car shows. Never put rear trunk in because of paint work, could not take luggage except when she was trailered. Wife preferred to cruise in GT5S which in comparison is spacious, comfortable and has sufficient room for womens supplies for a weekend. By the way what do you do when you take the wife for a weekend in the Ford GT? My wife looked at the GT when it arrived and asked why I purchased another car she cannot go out of town in!

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
UFO,

What a beautiful car! I love the paint and the finish. Thanks for posting. Hopefully we will get some more up here too.

Nathan

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Well, mine's not quite up to snuff with the ones posted so far, but it was pretty cool to be a single guy, cruising around DFW in this thing some twenty+ years ago now.

Top & bottom pics were taken at Texas Stadium parking lot circa 1985.

DAB-Pantera-1.jpg

Middle photo was taken in my parents driveway in '86 or '87.
Engine was a mostly stock 351C with a small shot of N20, ran 13.20s out at the Motorplex with an extra easy launch to protect the T/A & halfshafts.

Oh yeah, it was a rust bucket too when I got it, fixed as much of it as we could, painted it, drove it for several years and the rust started to reappear in new areas...

sold the car in 1988 to fund the start up cost of my business. I think it went up to the Missouri area, maybe Springfield, possibly St Louis... can't remember for sure.

mardyn

Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
UFO, just noticed, were the headlights relocated on your red car? Very spiffy.

mardyn

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...By the way what do you do when you take the wife for a weekend in the Ford GT?....

I think he flies her there, or leaves her home!

:lol :lol :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
By the way what do you do when you take the wife for a weekend in the Ford GT? My wife looked at the GT when it arrived and asked why I purchased another car she cannot go out of town in!

FedX and UPS are your friends.:wink

So are chase cars.:lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
UFO, put the wifey and luggage on the plane. Pricelss driving time.

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Panteras

UFO, just noticed, were the headlights relocated on your red car? Very spiffy.

mardyn

mardyn:

yes the headlights & turnsignals where frenched to smooth the flow of top fender lines. The headlights are rectangle to match the turn signals. The entire front air entry was reshaped and the spoiler was constructed out of metal and made part of body. Removed wire mesh grill so could expose the custom mounted radiator fans.

I am sure you had a blast in you pantera, it was certainly aggressive looking. As you pointed out rust is a substantial part of the Pantera heritage. Finding a rust free car or one that is rebuilt rust free is tricky. Over the years I have examined many Panteras for prospective buyers. It is amazing the lengths certain sellers will take to hide the rust problems!::frown

Anyone comtemplating purchasing a Pantera, should have someone very familiar with the breed examine it both on the ground and more importantly on a lift.

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
UFO, put the wifey and luggage on the plane. Pricelss driving time.

fjpikul, Ralphie and Empty Pockets:

After digesting your comments came to conclusion that maybe Ford believed they had a better idea and designed it that way on purpose! Of course, I for one, always love to have my wife along.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
PPI's should only be done by a marque expert. Everyone who does a PPI realizes that they incur liability. Ask a pro like Shadowman what he considers a PPI and how long it takes. Of course when there are tens of thousands of dollars involved one would be stupid not to do a PPI. When I don't know a car, or ot has not been judged recently I ask a contact who knows the marque to check out the machine witj the intentiom based on a good report to proceed with a PPI done by a real expert. I always demand a leak down test and electrical system check.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, Bony uses a shot glass like jewelers use an eye loop or I use an eyepiece.

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Test fitment of GT motor in Pantera. The transaxle is a empty shell used for fitment measurements.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 543

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Oh hell yes!

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Double hell yes.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I saw more than one 427 side oiler in a Pantera back in my Pantera days, the transplant usually performed by Pantera International. If memory serves, I believe they also shoehorned a Boss 429 in one as well. If a Boss 9 fit, then I have to believe a GT motor would work as well.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I think the modular Ford V8, and particularly the aluminum GT version with the S/C would be right at home in the Pantera's engine bay... much more so than an FE or B9.

great thread... bringing back some good memories for me.

mardyn

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Another Pantera

Originally posted 1 picture in the clean garage thread. Once this Pantera section was established will post here. Since there appears to be interest in the Pantera among our crowd will describe in some detail. Purchased this 1989 GT5S in Dec 2001. There are only 50 GT5S Panteras worldwide. They are hand made. Production stopped with the 1990 model and Detomaso no longer actively in business. The car below is believed to be the highest serial numbered Pantera in the US. There were only three 1989 cars made with the 1990 bumper style. Two are in Florida and one is in Canada. Since purchasing the car, I have gone completely through it. Changes include but not limited to: 392 Windsor crate engine which is rated at 430 HP. ZF was rebuilt with a higher 5th gear. The radiator is aluminum, the water pipes are stainless steel. Completely new rotary compressor using R-12. New adjustable shocks and springs. Billet aluminum A arms. Vents, gauges faces and dash inserts are made of carbon fiber. Sewed up completely new interior. New Wilton wool carpet. Plastic door handles replaced with billet aluminum. Machined many of billet aluminum parts seen in picture, including shift lever, front hood support, etc.

Attachments

• Award  Celebration 2005.jpg
    Award Celebration 2005.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 487
  • Front Bonett.jpg
    Front Bonett.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 493
  • Rear A arms.jpg
    Rear A arms.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 491
  • Carbon Fiber fnt vents.jpg
    Carbon Fiber fnt vents.jpg