D-day -- in remembrance of 70 years ago today

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
D-DAY -- IN REMEMBRANCE OF 70 YEARS AGO TODAY

My wife’s father [now deceased] was a B-17 pilot based at Polebrook AAF Base, England during WWII.
He was Commander of the 511[SUP]th[/SUP] Bomb Squadron, also known as the “Ball Boys”.
All of the B-17 “Flying Fortress” planes in his Squadron had the word “Ball” in their name; hence the moniker “Ball Boys”.

books_zps285c2a54.png

His plane, the “Linda Ball” [named after my wife’s older sister] was present on both June 6[SUP]th[/SUP] and June 7[SUP]th[/SUP] of 1944 flying bombing missions over France as part of the D-Day operations.
Of the original 12 planes in his Squadron, the “Linda Ball” was one of only two planes [“Screw Ball” being the other] that was NOT shot down during the course of the war; and were always able to return to base after their missions were completed.

On this day, both my wife and I are very thankful, proud, and in absolute awe of the heroics and accomplishments that all of those brave men who fought so valiantly to give everyone of us the freedoms and opportunities we are now able to enjoy today.
These men accomplished things and endured hardships and that we cannot begin to comprehend.

GOD BLESS THEM ALL

TheLindaBall_zpsfe162375.jpg

Thank You Sir.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Salute, Sir!

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Well said, Spirit.
On the way to my office, a radio station played a portion of Ike's D-Day speech. I pulled over and listened. I'm not afraid to admit I had tears in my eyes.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
A big thank you to all that ensured that my country is not facist but democratic instead. I think in todays relations between the germans and the so called Siegermächte (winners of war) it is often not expressed deep enough how happy we german's are about that and that we remember those that took their lives at risk and those that lost it or suffered.

Thank you very much

Matthias

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
“Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.”
Winston Churchill
God Bless them all.

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Great post Spirit.. thank you.

Great post as well.
A big thank you to all that ensured that my country is not facist but democratic instead. I think in todays relations between the germans and the so called Siegermächte (winners of war) it is often not expressed deep enough how happy we german's are about that and that we remember those that took their lives at risk and those that lost it or suffered.

Thank you very much

Matthias

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
The artificial harbor #5 was interesting, didn't know they did that....

http://www.crackedhistory.com/10-weapons-made-d-day-possible/

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
“Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.”
Winston Churchill
God Bless them all.

Amen! My dad made invasions at Casablanca, Sicily, Salerno, Naples and France. He was on his way to Japan for the invasion when the A bombs dropped to end the war.

We owe that generation a debt that can never be repaid.