Curious Shifting Issue

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Hey Guys,

Looking for a little advice on a shifting issue that started to develop over the last few times I've driven my '06 that seems to be getting progressively worse. As I mentioned, I own a 2006 red/white GT with 6,700 miles on it and I took the car out a couple of times over the past month and I noticed that I'm having more difficulty shifting it, especially in the lower gears (1-3). Now before anyone says this is the normal cold shifting difficulty that GTs are famous for, I'm certain this isn't the same problem because, although it does that too, this does not go away as it warms up.

The higher gears are less of an issue. When I shift, especially from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, the shifter feels like it is stuck in gear and doesn't want to come out. Then, when I try to get the shifter into the next taller gear, I'm met with some resistance that feels abnormal. I even once heard and felt a slight grind when shifting up--definitely abnormal.

Fortunately I'm mechanically "aware" so I have been very gentle and patient with it and haven't forced the shifter out and into the next gear. I have even taken the time to double-clutch and give it a slight rev to try to rev match before shifting and that does seem to help a little. By way of background, I have changed the transaxle fluid within the last 2 years and I also bled the clutch a couple of times (the first after our track day in Utah and the second when I thought the clutch felt like it had too much play at the beginning of it's travel). Since then, I feel like the clutch play may be increasing again despite bleeding the clutch fluid adequately the second time.

To me, it feels like the clutch isn't fully disengaging despite my pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. Could that be the case? Has anyone experienced this before and perhaps identified residual air in the clutch's hydraulic lines? Could there be another issue like an adjustment of the pedal or the slave cylinder that needs to be completed? I feel like there should be an adjustment somewhere because I thought I did a great job bleeding the clutch last time but the squishy feeling at the top of the clutch pedal travel has returned which now makes me think that there might be air in the system. But why would that come back and slowly develop?

Thanks in advance for any advice you all could give me on next steps to diagnose and rectify the issue!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Where does the clutch release at?

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Hi B.M.F. Good question. Seems like the clutch engages/releases 70% up the travel from the floor. That hasn't seemed to change over the 12 years I've own the car. What I've noticed is the first 1-1.5" of travel from the top is squishy. That seems to have grown.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
What oil did you put in?

Last edited:

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
Change your clutch fluid. It will be black and disgusting probably. Simple to do with a vacuum bleeder.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
What oil did you put in?

Nothing but the best...

Transaxle fluid: XT-75W90-QGT
Clutch fluid: Motorcraft High Performance DOT 3 Brake Fluid

IMG_6427.jpg

Last edited:

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Change your clutch fluid. It will be black and disgusting probably. Simple to do with a vacuum bleeder.

Did that 18 months ago. Also, not sure it would cause the symptoms unless somehow there are somehow still bubbles in the fluid or they are accumulating again thus preventing the clutch from fully disengaging. Could air be leaking into the system?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Hi B.M.F. Good question. Seems like the clutch engages/releases 70% up the travel from the floor. That hasn't seemed to change over the 12 years I've own the car. What I've noticed is the first 1-1.5" of travel from the top is squishy. That seems to have grown.

Might need a throw out bearing. how long ago was clutched replaced and how many miles on clutch? Hard shifting is clutch or throw out bearing unless syncros have gotten really bad.

Reactions: GTMD

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Might need a throw out bearing. how long ago was clutched replaced and how many miles on clutch? Hard shifting is clutch or throw out bearing unless syncros have gotten really bad.

I bought the car with ~ 3,500 miles (I'm the second owner) and it now has 6,700 miles. To my knowledge, the clutch was never replaced. My miles have been relatively gentle aside from the one track day in Utah but I'm a very aware driver and try to prevent excess clutch/throwout bearing wear (no burnouts and I don't ride the clutch or keep it depressed at traffic lights).

Last edited:

mach1pannu

GT Owner
Nov 17, 2019
My shifter wasn't as crisp as I wanted, and I had weird noises occasionally. Decided to change the shifter cables and it is much better now. I'm still thinking about doing the clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing too, just because.

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Check that the slave hasn't gone bad or is leaking or weeping.That will let air in the system and not allow full travel.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You don't say if it is the short throw shifter.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Check that the slave hasn't gone bad or is leaking or weeping.That will let air in the system and not allow full travel.

Good idea. I'll definitely check that out. Seems to me that for some reason the clutch isn't fully disengaging when depressed.

You don't say if it is the short throw shifter.

Standard shifter.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Clutch starting to grab with pedal 70% up sounds like a good release.
No adjustments to be made
Did you bleed both bleeders? One at slave, one at firewall(do first)
Surface tension can cause a bubble to "stick" to the wall of the master/slave. Open bleeder(s) far enough to get fluid to flow out fast and move the bubble. Refill reservoir on each bleed.
Make sure reservoir cap is vented.
If reservoir is full, probably not leaking. As clutch wears out, fluid level will rise. It's opposite of the brakes.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
It sure sounds like the clutch isn’t completely disengaging. You say you’re an aware and gentle driver. I’d say go drive it hard, do some launches where you have to slip the clutch considerably. See if it loosens up. If not, then I’m leaning towards a stiff throw out bearing.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Clutch starting to grab with pedal 70% up sounds like a good release.
No adjustments to be made
Did you bleed both bleeders? One at slave, one at firewall(do first)
Surface tension can cause a bubble to "stick" to the wall of the master/slave. Open bleeder(s) far enough to get fluid to flow out fast and move the bubble. Refill reservoir on each bleed.
Make sure reservoir cap is vented.
If reservoir is full, probably not leaking. As clutch wears out, fluid level will rise. It's opposite of the brakes.

All good advice guys, thank you! Yes, I did bleed both from both valves. But I think I'm going to start with the simplest approach and do a through inspection, check for leaks and re-bleed everything with a pressure/vacuum bleeder. I did it manually both times with my wife at the controls and I may not have gotten all of the air out. Not sure why it would get worse lately but this is where I need to start. Then take it out for a couple of good drives and see what it's like. Replacing the throwout bearing and/or clutch is beyond my capabilities so I'd have to have a trusted tech do that.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
All good advice guys, thank you! Yes, I did bleed both from both valves. But I think I'm going to start with the simplest approach and do a through inspection, check for leaks and re-bleed everything with a pressure/vacuum bleeder. I did it manually both times with my wife at the controls and I may not have gotten all of the air out. Not sure why it would get worse lately but this is where I need to start. Then take it out for a couple of good drives and see what it's like. Replacing the throwout bearing and/or clutch is beyond my capabilities so I'd have to have a trusted tech do that.

I would get ahold of Kendall on here if you need someone in cali to look at it.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I would get ahold of Kendall on here if you need someone in cali to look at it.

Yes, good idea. I first sent Kendall a PM before I posted but I haven't heard back--I'm guessing he's pretty busy. @nota4re if you happen to see this thread, I sent you a PM, I'd certainly be open to your suggestions as well.

Again, thank you all so much! This is seriously the best car forum out there because of all of you. I'll post back with updates once I do an inspection and try a thorough flush.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Yes, good idea. I first sent Kendall a PM before I posted but I haven't heard back--I'm guessing he's pretty busy. @nota4re if you happen to see this thread, I sent you a PM, I'd certainly be open to your suggestions as well.

Again, thank you all so much! This is seriously the best car forum out there because of all of you. I'll post back with updates once I do an inspection and try a thorough flush.

I would email cooltech. or call.. i don't know if he check's pm's that much

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Will do! Thanks!