Crazy Question for Genaddi Design Group

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
While having a discussion with some carguys, looking at the GTX1, we pondered the following possibility...maybe its nuts but...Is it possible to make 2 new doors and have them customized as T-top doors? In other words have 2 sets of doors. Nothing would change about the structural integrity of the car, but you will have a set of regular doors (instead of the head cutters) and on nice days you can leave the lids at home. Where is the downside? Other than cost and possibly my IQ! Ha. Are the regular doors very difficult to remove?:biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Obviously too much formaldehyde for you. You're getting pickled.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
While having a discussion with some carguys, looking at the GTX1, we pondered the following possibility...maybe its nuts but...Is it possible to make 2 new doors and have them customized as T-top doors? In other words have 2 sets of doors. Nothing would change about the structural integrity of the car, but you will have a set of regular doors (instead of the head cutters) and on nice days you can leave the lids at home. Where is the downside? Other than cost and possibly my IQ! Ha. Are the regular doors very difficult to remove?:biggrin

Sorry for the Chevy reference, but, wouldn't that be like putting the doors from a '62 Biscayne 2 dr sedan on an '62 Impala convertable??? :shrug

Mr. Genaddi

Permanent Vacation
May 9, 2007
I appreciate your question, the doors on the GT are not the type of body components that can be easily removed and put back without a lot of work and wiring issues. The hinging of the doors does not allow easy access to the adjustment, now with that said could it be made so that the wiring plugged together and the hinges remade with quick disconnection? I am sure it can but you are getting this very thing with the GTX1 hard top. When the top is on it’s a coupe that you can still get in and out of like a regular car because the top of the door stays with the roof and you can remove the T-top panels when you want to enjoy the sun or just take the whole thing off and run it topless, that’s the cool thing about the GTX1 Roadster. Hope that helps, believe me it would be a lot less expensive because it is developed and you accomplishing the same thing except now you have a car that has a good upgrade history and a value that is covered.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I appreciate your question, the doors on the GT are not the type of body components that can be easily removed and put back without a lot of work and wiring issues. The hinging of the doors does not allow easy access to the adjustment, now with that said could it be made so that the wiring plugged together and the hinges remade with quick disconnection? I am sure it can but you are getting this very thing with the GTX1 hard top. When the top is on it’s a coupe that you can still get in and out of like a regular car because the top of the door stays with the roof and you can remove the T-top panels when you want to enjoy the sun or just take the whole thing off and run it topless, that’s the cool thing about the GTX1 Roadster. Hope that helps, believe me it would be a lot less expensive because it is developed and you accomplishing the same thing except now you have a car that has a good upgrade history and a value that is covered.

Thanks for your response. I guess I was kinda of wondering if one could have their cake and eat it to...in other words, have a car that could be put back to OEM but with the benefits of another set of doors with T-tops or convertible options. Sounds like this would be expensive....