Crash of the Carrera GT

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
This is currently on F-chat and represents a potentially disturbing trend in American society.
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/jun2006/bw20060608_466074.htm
I thought I would repost my thoughts here...as the results of this lawsuit could affect our ability to enjoy our cars.

On October 17, 2000, my first wife was driving a 1999 Subaru Outback on I-40 between Greensboro and Winston-Salem, NC, when she lost control of her car...according to the state patrol, the driver's side tires went off the side of the road, she likely overcorrected bringing the car into a spin and was struck on the driver side by another car at full Xpressway speed. The other driver was driving with a revoked license. I never saw my wife alive again. She was 35 years old at the time; I was 36. We had been happily married for 6.5 years. It took me a long time and a lot of soul-searching to put my life back together....but suing someone or everyone is NOT the answer. Bad things happen...yes, people need to be held responsible, but suing Porsche is just plain stupid. Yes, my wife was hit by an unlicensed driver. No, the Subaru did not have side-impact airbags, and they were being introduced into new vehicles. But she was the one who lost control of her car initially. Is suing going to bring her back? Will it make me feel better to make others suffer?

I have recently become interested in tracking sportscars. I even recently participated in a High Performance Driving school to improve my skills or lack thereof. Yes, there are risks associated with this. But I am not convinced that they are greater than what all of us do every day. Some people are convinced that my adventure travel to places like Vietnam or Mongolia is very risky...I say that the people who were killed on 9/11 simply went to work that day. My first wife was on the way to a beauty salon. The truth is that most people die at or near their home doing for the most part their routine activities. Sometimes, disaster strikes...and it will strike all of us sooner or later. And nothing we do can bring back the lives of the deceased.

Anyway, I am sympathetic to the widow, and I know what it is like to experience tremendous sadness and loss...but I am NOT sympathetic over this attempt to blame everyone for a terrible tragedy. My 2 cents! :frown

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The death of those two men is a tragedy, but holding manufacturers liable for the results of those driving in such situations is futile. Death is an implied risk anytime you take a car near the 150mph level.

Based on reading the posts of those men on the internet, I doubt they would have wanted it this way.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The US tort system is a disaster. Until we get “loser pay” tort reform (like just about every other country in the world) we will continue to see these kinds of absurd ridiculous lawsuits.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
cycle... sad to hear of your loss, I can't comprehend going through such a horrible event

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Sadly, I have seen video of the accident. The flag men waived one car onto the track into the path of the speeding Porsche. The passenger in the Porsche was not wearing a helmet. Poor judgement, yes by many... Did anyone force the passenger in the Porsche, whose wife is suing everyone to go for a ride without a helmet? Did the lack a helmet make a difference? I don't know? A read sad
incident.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Anyway we can find that video?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Last edited:

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
bony said:
cycle... sad to hear of your loss, I can't comprehend going through such a horrible event

Thanks. It's all sad...but it never helps to blame others for what is ultimately part of life. Perhaps because I could relate to the loss, I felt the need to say something.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Cycle,
My thougts go your way - and I just want to let you know that I admire the way you look at the fact that suing does not bring back what really mattered... your loving wife...

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
one of 101 said:
Cycle,
My thougts go your way - and I just want to let you know that I admire the way you look at the fact that suing does not bring back what really mattered... your loving wife...

Thanks!