Cracked Windshield

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Although I have no experience and would tend to agree, is there any possibility that applying too much focused heat to one area of the windshield during installation may cause enough unequal expansion and stress to crack the glass? I know it's a stretch but just wanted to ask.
I would think it is possible but highly unlikely........most of the people who do the clearPlex have done a few and have learned the does and don't by now...... they have also learned to look for delamination in the class before installing film.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Great, thanks Joe!

Reactions: italianjoe

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Is there a thread on the delamination issue or can someone explain it?

Also, doesnt the wind at high speeds apply pressure to the windshield. I'm a bit surprised to hear that pressure during a Clearplex installation could break the glass.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Is there a thread on the delamination issue or can someone explain it?

Also, doesnt the wind at high speeds apply pressure to the windshield. I'm a bit surprised to hear that pressure during a Clearplex installation could break the glass.
Delamination is when you can see the separation of material between the layers in the windshield......I have seen windshield that when looking through it objects look destroyed or you can see air bubbles in between I have even seen a fingerprint.........as far as pressure on a windshield as you drive your car it is more evenly dispursed through out the windshield as apposed to in one specific area when a new windshield or film is applied......

Reactions: BtwoG