Coatings

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Looking for opinions on coating for the combustion chamber? I'm getting different suggestions from knowledgable sources.

H

HHGT

Okay, you peaked my curiosity!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Looking for opinions on coating for the combustion chamber? I'm getting different suggestions from knowledgable sources.

suggest using Gold over paper cash is my suggestion.........................:biggrin

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Okay, you peaked my curiosity!
One school of thought says that you are reflecting heat back into the combustion area and away from metallic surfaces win/win

Other school says benefits are minimal and not worth cost + if coasting looses adhesion you are basically pouring sand into you engine oil.

I was just wondering it the benefits are noticeable and what the odds of adhesion failure are? And anything else you guys have to add?

H

HHGT

Wasnt there a PTFE craze back in the 80s about this theory

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I let myself get snookered into that on a '98 Viper I used to own - did it within months of purchasing the car new. Did the combustion chambers, exhaust ports and headers. Absolutely no difference in running temperatures. Did not have a before / after dyno but "post" dyno numbers were very average for 98 GTS. 438 RWHP (mods were coating, headers, cat-back, smooth tubes) sticks in my mind, but there's a lot of crap kicking around in there these days!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
In anything with big power, I have never seen anyone coat a combustion chamber. We coat the pistons, both top and sides of them.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I have no idea but this reminds me of cryo treatment, seemed a lot of folks did it for a while but not so much anymore.

Do McLaren/Lambo/Ferrari/Bugatti, etc. do anything like that?

Inquiring minds want to know.... how much HP this time?

rdjmp

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2011
DFW Texas
Automotive Machine Supply near you in Fort Worth does head port and chamber coating. You might ask Steve or Mitch what data they have.

http://www.automotivemachine.com/