Clutch chatter/shudder normal?

trackmeister

GT Owner
Jan 19, 2007
Is it normal to feel some clutch shudder/chatter on a brand new GT? Everytime I go from a dead stop I get clutch chatter, whether hot or cold.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Is it normal to feel some clutch shudder/chatter on a brand new GT? Everytime I go from a dead stop I get clutch chatter, whether hot or cold.

In a word: no.

I'd suggest you get it to a dealer/shop you TRUST and get it looked at, Sir.

(If you don't have one, you might inquire here on the Forum for suggestions in your area.)

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
With all due respect to EP, it could be normal. Mine car did it and i'm not sure if the clutch wore in or if I became accostomed to the feel but after ~ 500 miles it just went away. I wouldn't rush off to the dealer just yet.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
With all due respect to EP, it could be normal. Mine car did it and i'm not sure if the clutch wore in or if I became accostomed to the feel but after ~ 500 miles it just went away. I wouldn't rush off to the dealer just yet.

'Depends on how much warranty he has left, Joe!:lol

Yup. It could be normal ...but the vast majority of us haven't had that circumstance. If it were "normal" (which was his question) we'd all have experienced it.

That's all I was getting at. :cheers

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Well mine has it too. 142 miles, it was worse 70 miles ago. I think it is just touchy, kinda on/off. I can slip the clutch with no chatter in my Zo6 for a smooth take off, but this one does not like that.

I hope it is just me getting used to it, but I am much better now than the first couple drives. I plan to take it out for a drive this coming weekend, we will see if I or IT gets any better.

I am not ready to take it to the dealer yet either, but my warranty just started this month.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Neither my '05 or '06 had any chatter until I burned up the clutch in the '05. My '06 has less than 100 miles and is smooth as silk.

That being said, every one of these seems to be different and has it's own idiosyncrasies. I'd let the dealer know there's a potential problem so he can document the mileage and then drive it a while to see if it smooths out on it's own. If not, the dealer will be more inclined to help you since he knows it was low mileage when the problem actually started. Either way he'll probably think it was abuse on your part but he should warranty it for you if he can't prove it.

djslicer

GT Owner
Jul 6, 2006
I bought my 06 Heritage new in June of 06 and the clutch shudder was bad enough you could see the front of the engine jump up and down about 3/4 inch when starting out on a slight uphill grade.

I was ready to have a new clutch installed, but I went to the GT Rally in Dearborn in August before doing so. LUCKY ME!!

At the rally I was able to talk to Glenn Miller who was the drive train engineer on the car. He knew instantly what was causing it. All cars are supposed to go thru what is called the "Clutch bedding procedure" while on the dyno at the final assembly plant. Perhaps the guy who normally does this process was sick that day or was on vacation and the procedure was not done correctly.

Glenn told me how to do the procedure and said it would solve the problem.

I came home, did the procedure, and it solved the problem imediately.

PROCEDURE:

1. On a level road with the car stopped and in first gear, (Be sure it is first gear not third) increase the RPM to 3000.

2. Slowly release the clutch so it will slip for 3-4 seconds, be sure to hold the RPM at 3000 while it is slipping. Do not let the RPM go below 1700.

3. Press clutch pedal to the floor and hold the RPM at 3000 for at least 10 seconds, this is the cool down period. I actually drove the car for about 1 minute in first gear after each cool down period, then repeated the procedure.

4. Repeat the above for 3 complete cycles.

Yes, you may smell or see a little smoke from the clutch.

DJ

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
That sort of explains why I think mine is getting better. I live on a hilly road and a few times I have had to do this so I don't roll back and hit the guy behind me at the one stop sign. May not have been 3000 rpm though. I will try it. Thanks for the tip.

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
Which vindicates the theory that the harder you drive the car, the better it performs.
Don't treat it like an uptight frigid victorian lady, but instead give this bitch all she wants, and she'll love it.

Karl from edmunds.com told me that the Ford engineers found out that the test GT with the most horsepower after 20k+ miles was the one that was driven the hardest (and the worst) by every single (real or pseudo) journalist out there :)

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I love this site :banana
This thread is a perfect example of why there is so much value in posing questions we all have from time to time. I continually marvel in how all the experience from owners and technicians of this incredible car provide rookies (and we are all rookies to begin with) as well as long term owners, with thoughtful insights on how to approach all kinds of concerns and issues.