Clear engine access panel with bezel

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Here is an image of a prototype bezel with clear engine access panel. Here is an older posting on this topic: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5346&postcount=1

This bezel in this image was machined from a piece of foam board just to make sure that everything was designed properly. The final product will consist of a slightly thicker piece of scratch resistant (double laminated) Lexan. This is to provide increased protection inside the cockpit in case of an engine mishap. Also, there is a slight acoustic resonance around 2,000 RPM (I have an Ida exhaust system) that this should attenuate. The production version will have a bezel machined from a solid plate of aluminum. This will then be power-coated to a textured, flat-black finish. The fasteners will be a black decorative type, which will add a nice finishing touch (note that this is NOT shown here). There will be a precision molded silicone gasket to provide a seal between the engine compartment and cockpit. It will be designed so that water will not remain trapped when power washing your engine compartment. Right now, water can get trapped depending on the quality of the urethane seal done by the factory.

Options features can include:

1. Custom color scheme, even polished and/or clear powder-coated.

2. Custom engraving. Mine will have a "GT" style logo engraved after the black finish has been applied. Right now I am trying to decide on the size of the font.

3. Hidden illumination so that the front of the engine is visible at night. This could work in conjunction with the engine bay light (still in labor).

There are some advantages of this system over the stock metal panel which is beneath the subwoofer/amplifer module. One is that the removal takes only a couple of minutes. Have you tried to remove that stock metal panel which has all of that black, sticky urethane? It is the messiest stuff I have ever seen. It also gets into your clothing, the seats of your car and will not wash out easily. This new setup can be removed and reinstalled without using any adhesives or replacing any gaskets. Your mechanic will also like this "quick and clean" feature!

Clear%20engine%20access%20cover1small.jpg

The relocation kit for the McIntosh power amplifer will come at a later time.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks all,

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

One other note; get your Power Rings on order now! The air inlet coupler does collaspe on ALL GT's! Prevents loss of 5 to 10 HP!http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18330&postcount=1

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
No more goo...

White Petunia said:
I'd make the gaskets available separately to help folks when they r&r the access panel mutilple times. Come to think of it, will the gaskets work on the stock panels with or without the Mac?

I know all about windshield sealer. Yes, it is extremely messy, but my body shop buddy has chemicals that get it off the skin very easily. Not so for clothes.
White Petunia,

Now that's a great idea! I am sure that I can design this gasket to be compatible with all configurations. I will start designing tonight!

Jay