Clamshell Spring Stops/Openers

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Where are you at on this?
I should have them ready soon. Need to figure out shipping packages and shipping costs. Will keep everyone posted, but I'm thinking soon.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I should have them ready soon. Need to figure out shipping packages and shipping costs. Will keep everyone posted, but I'm thinking soon.
When they are ready curious to see what they look like….I will get a set for sure.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

I am about to have my machinist make replacement top inserts out of ABS so the sooner the better.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I am about to have my machinist make replacement top inserts out of ABS so the sooner the better.
I'm thinking days not weeks. I have some out on GTs and they are working great

Reactions: 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Excellent.

Anxiously waiting

Reactions: KennethClay

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Any issue with the Hillman parts requiring a different solution? They seem to holding up well for me.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Any issue with the Hillman parts requiring a different solution? They seem to holding up well for me.

If that’s directed toward me, I don’t like the way the grommet bunches up on the end of the spring coil. Requires cutting to totally eliminate, and I don’t like that look either.

IMO, My engine bay is a work of art. My OCD won’t allow little issues like this to slide.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Sometimes it is all about the details.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Excellent.

Anxiously waiting
+1

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Where are you at?

I am going to make my own if it is a ways off.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Where are you at?

I am going to make my own if it is a ways off.
I'm waiting on the supplier. He assures me they will be here this week.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I'm waiting on the supplier. He assures me they will be here this week.

Well, I obviously want several ASAP.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Any updates? I would rather support your efforts than go out on my own.

Installed a brand new set of springs yesterday and the rubber tops didn’t even last through a 80 mile drive.

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
REF: Art138 photo , my 06 has the crap ones , must be an upgrade ... vin 1117. I rumaged thru our body shop and found some rubber inserts that work . Unknown source and free

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
If that’s directed toward me, I don’t like the way the grommet bunches up on the end of the spring coil. Requires cutting to totally eliminate, and I don’t like that look either.

IMO, My engine bay is a work of art. My OCD won’t allow little issues like this to slide.
2112, I don't know if I used the same Lowe's grommets as you tried, but I did not have to modify mine to fit. They just slipped perfectly inside the springs and the top overlapped the spring so as not to scratch the paint. They look like nice OEM rubber. Maybe look at Lowe's selection and pick a different grommet that fits perfectly.

I just looked at post #37 and those are not the grommets I used. Those look like donuts, mine looked more like a phallus pointed downward with nuts on top. Sorry, I couldn't think of another visual example.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2112

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
Wait a minute Art those in your pic are same used at front Bonnet / hood stops ! You see front bump stops keep the hood in check , tight when latched and also adjustable to the fenders for line up heights. The rear fitment is to aid in release , thus a spring , to pop the rear bonnet to the safety catches . They do not set the height as the fronts do , the latches do that at the rear. Once a body man always a body man. If Ford sent them that way that's what they did ...