Check your photo archives...

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
(With the number of equally boring photos I have in my archives, I could become a multi-billionaire.)

logo_mol.gif

Beauty is in the eye of the bidder: Bleak river view becomes most expensive photograph ever sold at auction after fetching $4.3m
  • Andreas Gursky's 'Rhine II' was digitally altered to make it more desolate
By CHARLES WALFORD

Last updated at 6:22 PM on 12th November 2011

It is photo in which German artist Andreas Gursky wanted to capture a desolate but ‘accurate image of a modern river’.
He even turned to computer trickery to remove any intrusive features – dog walkers, cyclists, a factory building – until it was bleak enough to satisfy him.
And while it is hard to argue that he has achieved his aim - it is even harder to see why someone would pay a substantial sum of money to own the piece.
But the digitally altered - and some might say visually uninteresting - 'Rhine II' has become the most expensive photograph ever sold at auction.

And the 1999 photograph has sold for $4.3million (£2.7m) at Christie’s in New York City.

It is not known who bought the glass-mounted 80in by 140in print.

article-2060667-0EC0CC5500000578-892_966x511.jpg

Andreas Gursky's image, title Rhine II, was digitally altered to achieve the level of bleakness desired by the artist

article-2060667-0EC5214000000578-845_306x272.jpg

Andreas Gursky's photo sold for $4.3m at auction

The auction house described it as ‘a dramatic and profound reflection on human existence and our relationship to nature on the cusp of the 21st century’.

The previous record for any photography sold at auction was Cindy Sherman's 1981 print ‘Untitled’, which fetched $3.8million at Christie's in May.

Gursky's panoramic image of the Rhine is one of an edition of six photographs.

Four are in major museums, including the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Tate Modern in London.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ht-place-right-time-apply-spot-wizardry.html#