Center console

omgjon

Apr 16, 2021
That CF console is awesome!! How do I find Kip Ewing?

omgjon

Apr 16, 2021
LOL, I was going to ask if you were the Dino guy. What actions was BAT willing to take against a flimsy excuse?

There was a previous run of CF consoles by Kip Ewing (I have one sitting in a box doing nothing…..so typical of me).
I could put it to good use!!

omgjon

Apr 16, 2021
the reason he backed out was because he got cold feet and could not afford it, a true WD
I could tell when he came over that he never intended to buy it and was was searching for something he could use as an excuse. BAT didn't buy his excuse! He had made an appointment before the auction was over to come see it. Sat on my butt for 3 hours as he never showed. I took the advice here and got a window sticker, original charger, original car cover and original literature for starters. I also put new tires on it.

Reactions: steved57

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I took the advice here and got a window sticker, original charger, original car cover and original literature for starters. I also put new tires on it.

Great place to start the enjoyment of ownership.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kip has not made any parts in many years. You have to find someone who has one and will part with it.

Reactions: twobjshelbys

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
It’s also becoming a thing where the original parts are being wrapped With CF.

No weight savings on large Alloy parts tho.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Kip has not made any parts in many years. You have to find someone who has one and will part with it.

Too bad the tooling can’t get to someone wanting to do parts.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I could tell when he came over that he never intended to buy it and was was searching for something he could use as an excuse. BAT didn't buy his excuse!
IMO, BAT DID buy his excuse…..they got their money and left you high and dry. Scum weasel got off easy…..if you win an auction it should be a requirement to buy the car.

Reactions: steved57

EthanFf

Feb 25, 2022
Minnesota
Too bad the tooling can’t get to someone wanting to do parts.
B.M.F (Dan Schoneck -Schoneck Composites) has tooling for center consoles, and has made some made!

omgjon

Apr 16, 2021
I removed the center console. Is there anyone who can refinish complete?

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
We get ours vapour blasted before having them repainted by our local paint shop.
It helps to remove as much of the corrosion in the casting as you can - I believe the magnesium alloy can be a bit unstable so there's no guarantee that the problem won't recur unfortunately.
This is one we've just had blasted - you can see the corrosion in many areas. It's not particularly deep but was causing bubbling of the paint around shifter.

IMG_3194.jpegIMG_3195.jpeg

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Thin magnesium castings tend to be porous. Heat and solvent wash to get any oils out. Then epoxy primer to seal it. Then finish coat.

Vmax

Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Kip Ewing made an absolutely gorgeous center console out of Carbon FIber that he donated to the forum as an amazing prize. After my wife's hand in marriage, it's the best thing I have ever won in my life!

Not the best photo, as I was doing some work on my short shift kit, you should get in touch with him.

View attachment 67930
Sorry to hear about OP's BAT experience, but sounds like it ultimately worked out.

That said, that's a beautiful center console. Does anyone know if Kip still makes any parts for the 05/06 GT? Some googling led me to his website and I now understand who he is. Legend!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thin magnesium castings tend to be porous. Heat and solvent wash to get any oils out. Then epoxy primer to seal it. Then finish coat.
Should it be sealed on the back/inside?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kip is not making any parts anymore for the GT. He has not for many years.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Should it be sealed on the back/inside?
I'd spray it with the epoxy primer just to be safe. It's no additional trouble once the painter is set up to paint.

GSix

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 27, 2021
Chicagoland
Kip Ewing made an absolutely gorgeous center console out of Carbon FIber that he donated to the forum as an amazing prize. After my wife's hand in marriage, it's the best thing I have ever won in my life!

Not the best photo, as I was doing some work on my short shift kit, you should get in touch with him.

View attachment 67930
@SYCO GT where did you get the red&blue Ford GT Sticker/button for the steering wheel?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Hi Dan,

If you look closely, it is two small stickers, a red half circle and a blue half circle. Another member was kind to supply them a long time ago, I'll check and see if he still has any, if not, should be easy to make.