Car Tunes

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
We shouldn't really start posting lyrics to songs - however I couldn't resist an (chorus taken out) excerpt from Radar Love by Golden Earing, it seems incredibly apt for GT owners....

I've been drivin' all night, my hand's wet on the wheel
There's a voice in my head that drives my heel
It's my baby callin', says I need you here
And it's half past four and I'm shifting gear

The radio's playing some forgotten song
Brenda Lee's "Coming on Strong"
The road's got me hypnotized
And I'm speeding into a new sunrise

No more speed, I'm almost there
Gotta keep cool now, gotta take care
Last car to pass, here I go
And the line of cars drove down real slow

And the radio played that forgotten song
Brenda Lee's "Coming on Strong"
And the newsman sang his same song
One more radar lover's gone

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
1 of 101 - Nicola Hitchcock from Mandalay has a beautiful voice. They only made two full albums before the group disbanded (interesting pun that word).

I would recommend you listen to (all by Mandalay): -

Another
Not Seventeen
Like Her
Deep Love
This Life
Too Much Room

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
A gutsy song that Cheech and Chong called "The Most Often Played Song in American Music"

Ina Gadda Da Vida - Iron Butterfly

Everything about the song is sloppily done with so many overdubs as to be completely without redeeming musical value.

However, I doubt that the state of most listeners in 1967 really cared about such things. They simply put it on the turntable, lifted and pulled back the record changer arm and let it continuously play from dust until dawn. They then made such profound statements as "like wow, man, that song is like totally cool." Likely forgetting that they just heard it 20 minutes ago and that the record is skipping and the drum part has now repeated for 14 minutes.

- doc

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
We're going to see CSN&Y next week in Concord, Ca. Hope they do "Almost Cut My Hair" which is a great driving song. Do any of them have hair left to cut?

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Ooops. CSN&Y, another group that I silently protest and add to the House on UnAmerican Activities.

Their Deja Vu album was incredible, but if you want a great late night cruise in the moonlight GT album, try this:

If I Could Only Remember My Name - David Crosby

If you are still dating (women), it is a great late night album; timeless.

- doc

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
If you are considering (we are) adding a second GT to your collection, let me chain onto the concept of song lyrics.

This one from The Wall is poignant:

Every day is getting shorter
Never seem to find the time
Plans I've made have come to naught
Or half a page of scribbled rhyme

- doc

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
This could go on forever but one last suggestion--guaranteed GT music:

Chris Rea--Road to Hell, especially track 4 "Texas" ("They've got big long roads out there."):cool

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" ?

- doc

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
ByeEnzo said:
Anyone into power trios? Check out Wolfmother. Flashbacks of Black Sabbath, Zepplin, and ELP. They are touring Europe and Australia currently, but if they hit DFW, I'm definitely gonna check em out.

I have the Wolfmother Cd in my jumbo McIntosh car jukebox that holds up to 1 CD. I could repeat track 3 all day. This is the first band in decades to properly continue rock music. Otherwise I have Pink Floyd Pulse on laser. Waiting daily for my mail order dvd to come in.

What about Sammy H? I can't drive 55? His latest cabo DVD kicks Van Halens a$$.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Most of the songs on this thread were new to me, but I was able to find & listen to quite a few of them recently & really enjoyed some of them! Thanks! Here are some of my favorites to listen to on the road. I tend to belt out the tunes instead of just listening & have to be careful my foot doesn't get heavy on the gas...it tends to do this on its own & cops just don't understand! :biggrin

Steve Miller "Dance, Dance, Dance"
Kenny Loggins "Footloose"
Tom Petty "Free Falling"
Cascada "Everytime we Touch"
Bonnie Tyler "Total Eclipse of the Heart"
Montgomery Gentry "Speed"
George Jones "The Race is On"
Sara Evans "Born to Fly" & "Suds in the Bucket"
Rascal Flatts "Bless the Broken Road"
Keith Urban "I Wanna Love Somebody Like You"
Jo Dee Messina "Heads Carolina, Tails California"
Collin Raye "Little Red Rodeo"
LeAnn Rimes "One Way Ticket"
Rodney Adkins "You're Going Through Hell"
Mercy Me "I can only Imagine"
R Kelly "Amazing Love"
Casting Crowns "Who Am I"
Avalon "Testify to Love"
Tim Hughes "Here I am to Worship"

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
For the baby boomers, music from early 50s until the present (and likely the future) is highly valued. For people growing up in the 80s and later, musical tastes tend to be more tempocentric (tied to specific years).

Air play today is not based upon popular demand nor creative ability; it is based upon what music executives wish to bring to market. Proft. Bands today do not evolve; they are created solely for financial gain rather than creative artistry.

It has been less art and more manufacturing, first noticed with the "hair bands and spandex" of the 80s (although the first recorded strong evidence of Corporate Rock was Frampton's "Come Alive" (and Pink Floyd's "Wecome to the Machine" from "Wish You Were Here" wrote about it in `75).

So it goes. Sad commentary on art.

I am in need of two songs for my iPOD cruising. Would like them in CDA or WAV form (not MP3) if anyone has them:

"Lola" - The Kinks (not the Live version)

"Hot Rod Lincoln" - Charlie Ryan (the true original)

If you have them, please PM me and thanks.

- doc

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Here's another:

The End - The Doors (heard last night for the first time in many years).

Was used in Apacolypse Now soundtrack.

- doc

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
e-shrink,

I noticed that “Psychobabble” from Alan Parsons Project wasn’t on your hit list... :biggrin

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Another find: "I'm Losing You" (the album version) by Rare Earth.*

- doc

(For you musicians, also hear the Temptations version to hear what Rare Earth did to the song)

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Paul:

(You may be interested in a utility called Tunebite Platinum).

Yes, I forgot about the parenthetical ("I know") and certainly forgot about the Rod Stewart's version.

Some of you may also enjoy "I'm A Man" (not only the Stevie Winwood version but also the) version by Chicago Transit Authority.

- doc

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Paul:

Received. Very cool. Creative mind put that together. Better than either song individually. Great ear that could hear that combined; the thing of which record producers are made.

Thank you for hooking me up.

- doc