Can manufacturers limit additional dealer rape?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
This is an interesting approach to car allocation. Even if it works for the Hellcat, a relatively high volume (limited only by demand?) car, it's hard to see how this would work with a very low production car.

If allocation is based on overall sales volume, would Galpin get a bunch of GTs?

Does Ford have any interest in trying to limit outrageous ADM?

http://www.torquenews.com/106/dodge...ion-rules-help-buyers-save-money-burn-dealers

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO

I like the way this guy thinks:
"I want this car out in the marketplace so that somebody is sharing it with 50 of their friends and elevating the brand. That’s what I want; not sitting in your showroom with a rope around it. I want people driving these cars, talking about them, revving the engine and having everybody go ‘I want one of those.’ That’s why you build a halo car.”

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It won't work with this car. Let's say they hold production to 300 units in the first model year. Heck even 400. Some percentage of those will go to overseas markets, say of the original 300, 50 go overseas. It might even be more but it's irrelevant.

That leaves 250 cars remaining fur US dealers (I think I'm going to bundle Canada in with US and call it North America). There are way more than 250 dealers clamoring for the car. So if the few lucky ones that get it treat it as a dealer order (not pre-allocated to a customer) then they have every motivation to hold it for as long as the bidding goes up. I see a few classy dealers might sell one at MSRP (I hope my guy here will, but sincerely doubt it - he did sell his Porsche 918 at sticker though) and I would be amazed that any more than a handful of dealers get more than one car (2) and 3 or more would be unheard of.

How the second year allocations go might be determined by "days on lot" though... That would mean they held out for 500K on a 400K car instead of 1M.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
I am second or third on the list.
Dealer principal is keeping the first one. Best customer has the second. Nice thing he got a ford gt and wasn't him.
I may be second. Dealer figures 1 for sure. Possibly 1-2 more.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Now that you mention it, of the few dealers that get a car, I'll predict days on lot will be 1: It'll be sold to the dealer owner for MSRP and then salted away in their collection. That means 100 cars for the rest of "us".

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Now that you mention it, of the few dealers that get a car, I'll predict days on lot will be 1: It'll be sold to the dealer owner for MSRP and then salted away in their collection. That means 100 cars for the rest of "us".

And this car is not going to be driven unless enough are made to "trickle down".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
question... How many of the Ford GT owners would still want one if the price was $500,000 to $600,000. My guess is that would cut the number of GT owners down to 50 to 100? What do the rest of you think?

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
I am willing to pay 10% over sticker no matter what MSRP is. Anything over that and I will simply wait. There are a lot of other cars that are on my bucket list.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
This is an interesting approach to car allocation. Even if it works for the Hellcat, a relatively high volume (limited only by demand?) car, it's hard to see how this would work with a very low production car.

If allocation is based on overall sales volume, would Galpin get a bunch of GTs?

Does Ford have any interest in trying to limit outrageous ADM?

http://www.torquenews.com/106/dodge...ion-rules-help-buyers-save-money-burn-dealers

I like the concept and applaud Chrysler for doing it, but I can't see it being effective on a car with the Volume were are hearing about.

I am all for seeing this happen on the New GT350s tho. There we are are able to see the results of getting the car out on the streets.

I would guess 40-50% of the dealers will just keep the car (FGT) for themselves.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
I've bit my tongue a very long time about the dealer mark-up issue. One of my local friends probably paid one of the highest mark ups paid to get his early. Fine. He can afford it and its his prerogative. Still owns the car, by the way. But you won't see it on the road much. I waited until 06, because we knew the time of production run, and if I was going to overpay sticker, it would be on the back end. You all know what happened to pricing in 06, so I called a local dealer with a tungsten, when ebay had heritage cars under sticker, to buy his car. Was willing to buy his for sticker less a set of rear tires, and at the dealership, the price magically became 200 K again. Pisses me off to this day. I have a 68 Shelby, 94 top sportsman T- bird,95 Cobra R, 2003 explorer, and a 2001 F350 diesel dually. Haven't bought a new anything except the wife's Honda minivan since then. I get crap every rime I take the Shelby to the strip to run, because someone thinks I shouldn't do the to the car. My 95 R gets to the road course whenever I can, and most comments there are along the lines of, wow its really great that you are using it for what ford intended, or, I've never seen a real one in person.
Sorry for the rant,

Steve

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
If the same dealer kept the heritage and it was still new should he sell it for sticker today?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
If the same dealer kept the heritage and it was still new should he sell it for sticker today?

It's not new. It's almost 10 years old.