B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
It's alot quieter with air box on and clamb on. This was stock engine

Ghost

Jun 15, 2018
The stock exhaust with cams sound amazing.
Dan, I’m curious, what do you think the limits are of the stock exhaust system? curious how a whipple/cams/stock exhaust combo would make. Not sure how much of a bottle neck the exhaust would become

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Dan the Mad Man!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
The stock exhaust with cams sound amazing.
Dan, I’m curious, what do you think the limits are of the stock exhaust system? curious how a whipple/cams/stock exhaust combo would make. Not sure how much of a bottle neck the exhaust would become

Idk but I know that Gt500's made 870whp with stock mani's and Kenne bell blowers. So unless that factory muffler is super restrictive which I doubt I bet it could be done on this platform aswell. The Ford GT manifolds are a great oem manifold. The stock cats are huge so i can't see them being a big restriction. A person can always install a backpressure gauge on the inlet side of muffler and see if its an issue.

Soroush's old car made 919 on my dyno and it made 920 in texas too. It had cams only with whipple 4.0 and stock air box but with headers. Even if it lost 75whp which I doubt, it would still be over 800whp.. But on pump gas the most you are gonna make anyways is around 800whp on 93.. Soroushes car was on race fuel.. So I don't see the stock exhaust being a bottle neck at 800whp... It made right at 19lbs of boost.

Last edited:

TORQJNKY

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2013
Chesapeake VA
Cam that bad boy!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
@TORQJNKY are those with a Supercharger & custom headers or Turbos?

What else did Accufab do when they had that long block? Did you redo all that?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I disagree about the cams and being I have played with supercharged engines from 500hp to 2000hp for the last 19 years and I have found that the more na power you can make the more HP you can efficiently make supercharged.

For instance a 04 cobra would make about 800whp with a stock engine and boost (25-27 lbs)

A 2020 gt500 will make 1100whp with 21lbs.

The 04 cobra at best makes 250whp Na

2020 gt500 is 225 more whp than that Na if you were to take the blower off and then makes 300 more whp with 4-6 less lbs of boost when boosted because the motor is more efficient.

I made 875 whp with my ford gt and stock cams. I put a set of cams and ported heads on the motor and it made 1211whp. We’re the ported heads worth some power yes but only on the intake side as ford gt exhaust side is awesome stock. The cam valve spring package played a much larger roll in the gains.

IMO Stock cams with with no cats/ muffler will only make a loud car. It doesn’t make it sound good.

I’ll try and get some vids to post
If you’re going for max horsepower then forget my previous advice about cams. Maybe BMF will share his setup with your hubby? At any rate, the video/audio he provided will give you an idea of what it sounds like.
However, knowing how these projects tend to take (a lot) longer than initially planned, I still say to build a replacement engine first (NA or boosted), then swap them.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

whipple 4.0, headers, cams. custom exhaust from headers to out the lisc plate area. I don't know if it had ported heads.

Reactions: sandman

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
If you’re going for max horsepower then forget my previous advice about cams. Maybe BMF will share his setup with your hubby? At any rate, the video/audio he provided will give you an idea of what it sounds like.
However, knowing how these projects tend to take (a lot) longer than initially planned, I still say to build a replacement engine first (NA or boosted), then swap them.

I have drop in cam that will not require valve springs or any internal work. For a great sound and 25-40hp over stock these will be a great addition. While it may be expensive to do, you will have something that stands out from every other bolt on exhaust GT...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Reactions: dshears

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I almost posted a video of my LO23 Hemi Dart, but that one is almost as good. 😁. I did a built shortblock on my 2007 GT500 with similar 5.4L, and since I had it all apart anyway, I did L&M Racing NSR (no springs required) cams, and it does sound noticeably meaner, choppier, etc. Not the easiest or cheapest way to add 30-40 hp, but hey, it’s only money!

Reactions: Empty Pockets

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I think you guys all have great ideas on making mo-power but you have to put the driveability and dependability factor into the whole equation and how you drive your GT. short car cruise trips with a lot of power is great but longer trips or high speed expressway excursions can become uncomfortable with loud exhaust and lumpy cams in any vehicle. I also didn't see anyone mention of engine compression with boosted blowers and high lift cams (maybe I missed it). the whole package has to be engineered to get the most power and yet have driveability at the same time. I've never got crazy with power upgrades on a GT like the experienced guys here on the forum. The most I've ever done is a larger Whipple, exhaust work, bigger throttle body and custom tune and the driveabilty and power for me were perfect for the street without getting into modified fuel systems, electronics and more. I can't even imagine driving a 1,000+ HP GT on the street but I'll let you younger guys do that and have fun!!

Reactions: dshears

TORQJNKY

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2013
Chesapeake VA

2112, this is Ed's old car I bought from him back in 2018. It has a fully built Accufab motor (custom cams, ported heads, billet crank, forged pistons/rods). In this video, I had just gotten it back after having a MoTec M150 and fuel system installed. It had 3.4L Whipple, LT headers and top exit exhaust with a couple of small Burns mufflers. Waiting on a throttle body and custom painted intake to finish up the twin turbo install.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Cam that bad boy!

Perffect1

Reactions: TORQJNKY

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
2112, this is Ed's old car I bought from him back in 2018. It has a fully built Accufab motor (custom cams, ported heads, billet crank, forged pistons/rods). In this video, I had just gotten it back after having a MoTec M150 and fuel system installed. It had 3.4L Whipple, LT headers and top exit exhaust with a couple of small Burns mufflers. Waiting on a throttle body and custom painted intake to finish up the twin turbo install.

Yup, I was able to see it in process at Bill Knoblochs approximately 10 years ago.

I just wasn't aware of all Accufab did for that engine. What a great starting point for a TT.

You are required to share progress photos BTW.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Are you keep the high exit exhaust set up with TT?

TORQJNKY

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2013
Chesapeake VA
Are you keep the high exit exhaust set up with TT?
I am, but I'm having it custom done in polished titanium this time.

Reactions: Simon

CampoLady

GT Owner
May 25, 2018
X Pipe, Long Tube Headers sounds great on start up. These have all been installed. We are looking for a more aggressive cam, Kinda like the old
FGT's. you could really hear those cams.