California GT owner question

FEGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Lake Havasu City ,AZ
Our GT just arrived in California, bought it out of state. DMV wants it
smogged even though the Cert of Origin says certified for sale in California.
Anyone have the same problem?
UPDATE: Did any of you in our state get a California Certificate of Emissions
Results from the dealer when you purchased your GT's? Found it on Ford's
website - and also called Ford. They are sending us a certified copy.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Well, I got lucky, just went to DMV with the receipt for the car, it was purchased in Ohio and never registered anywhere. I did not have to go through smog.

Last edited:

FEGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Lake Havasu City ,AZ
Thousand Oaks - it was at So Calif Auto Club DMV desk

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
FEGT said:
You will have to smog it, even with California Emmissions.

FEGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Lake Havasu City ,AZ
bony said:
no way, go to another DMV office. Where are you located?
Did you buy out of state?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I bought mine in Ohio, brand new, registered it without problems, nobody asked me for anything, the car is 50 states legal.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
FEGT said:
Agreed- You will definitely have to get it smogged. Any new car brought into the state of CA must have a smog check (been through this many times). You will also have to have a DMV clerk come outside to the parking lot to inspect your VIN and verify the CA emissions sticker.

Do yourself a huge favor and call around first to all the smog places in town and ask for one that has an in-ground dyno (which seems to be fairly rare, at least in my area)- otherwise the shop won't be able to complete the smog check without damaging the car.

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
FEGT, I had a very similar situation, bought my GT in Texas and live in Simi Valley, I also was required to have it Calif. smog tested. Sucks, but needs to be done!
I know of a shop in east Simi that has an in-ground that does my cars, let me know if you need their info. Lets do a cruise !!!!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
For Oskie...

...where did you get it smoged? how much? and WHY and in-ground check stop for the car?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
LAMANSZ said:
...where did you get it smoged? how much? and WHY and in-ground check stop for the car?

I never got mine smogged, but you want to make sure that the dyno that the car gets strapped down is in the ground and doesn't rip off or damage the defuser. Be careful how the car is strapped on the dyno. Can't you start over at AAA?

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
BTW, we need to organize a so cal GT meet

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I'm in.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
ok, since no one has volunterred, I will. Everyone from the CA area, pm me with your stats and I will pull together a list and then try to organize a meet in early summer prior to the Wixom meeting.

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
LEMANSZ, sorry it took so long to reply, was just too busy to dig out paperwork. Anyway I get my cars smoged at SIMI TEST ONLY SMOG CENTER, 1806 E. Los Angeles Ave. Simi Valley (805) 584-2929. He has an in ground system, so there is no issues getting your car up on a rack! Hope This is helpful. Let's do a hot lap when the weather gets a little nicer!!!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Every out of state car I have purhased in the past including the GT were required to have a smog before registering... even though they are 50 state legal. It's no big deal and it only takes about 15 minutes.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Just got back from Santa Monica Ford where, quite by chance, I noticed they had smog capability. They did it for me on the spot. Totally painless - would highly recommend them. They also have a tech that's been trained up on the GT.

They were also doing an oil change on silver with a black stripe. Does it belong to anyone from here?

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
NOT MINE, but my colors...Beverly Hills Ford will have a GT tech within days FYI