Buying a FGT on MSO, does factory warranty start now?

Chempowr

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2014
Houston, TX
Hey FGT Community,

Can you chime in on the subject line question? Bought a FGT on MSO, will the Ford warranty start now?

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Not sure on warranty - but am interested in details of you car!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
PM sent. Most likely not, but take it to a dealer and have them pull an OASIS report.

Chempowr

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2014
Houston, TX
Not sure on warranty - but am interested in details of you car!

It's a 3 option car. 175 miles when delivered. PM me if you need any more details.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Hey FGT Community,

Can you chime in on the subject line question? Bought a FGT on MSO, will the Ford warranty start now?
Yes. The car has never been registered so the warranty starts the day you purchase it for registration. You will likely have to get your selling dealership involved to activate it in the system (ford).

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Welcome Aboard!! :thumbsup

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Welcome! This is a great car community.

Chempowr

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2014
Houston, TX
Fantastic. Thanks everyone.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The warranty would only start now if you are purchasing from a dealer and the unit has never been sold. IE you are the first retail purchaser and buying from a Ford dealer from NEW stock. Just because its never been titled does not mean it was not sold.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
The warranty would only start now if you are purchasing from a dealer and the unit has never been sold. IE you are the first retail purchaser and buying from a Ford dealer from NEW stock. Just because its never been titled does not mean it was not sold.

Ditto..

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Simpler to just ask your dealer or Ford.

fordgtforsale.com

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jun 8, 2007
To answer your question, probably not. There are alot of Gt's out there still on MSO with warranties long gone. That said, as was mentioned before me, if you bought from the original Ford dealer, and it's never been put in service, then MAYBE. Best to call your local Ford and see what they say.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Bought mine on MSO. But the dealer, who was the original dealer, had activated warranty to do the Axle Bolt recall a couple months before I recieved it. They said that I had 3 years from the activation date. To be honest, I am not sure they even understood it. BUT, they did fix the guages within 3 months when they went out.

Larry

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yes. The car has never been registered so the warranty starts the day you purchase it for registration. You will likely have to get your selling dealership involved to activate it in the system (ford).

Not really. The warranty starts ticking when the dealer relieves it off his inventory. The fact that the vehicle was purchased by someone and not registered (turned the MSO in for a title and plates) doesn't stop the warranty. There is a complication that this particular vehicle was purchased from the owner of a dealership. The only way to tell is to check the OASIS entry.

Note that in every state I've ever lived (Iowa, South Dakota, Arizona, Massachusetts, Colorado) that you will NOT receive the MSO paper. Those states all collected the state portion of the sales tax and titled the car on my behalf. When I received the title I had to then get it registered to get plates and had to pay the local (county, city) portion of the sales tax to get plates.

When in Colorado I bought two cars (at the same time) from a dealer in Arizona. They titled the cars in Arizona and sent me Arizona titles that I had to convert to Colorado titles. Those titles showed no sales tax collected so when I titled them here I had to pay sales tax (if I had paid AZ sales tax I would have gotten a Colorado credit, but the AZ rate was higher so Arizona didn't collect any since it was an out of state sale). I titled both cars in Colorado but only registered one of them since I didn't plan on driving it as it was to be donated. But that car went to BJ with a Colorado title.

The only time I ever received an MSO was when I bought my truck in Las Vegas (I'm a Colorado resident). I paid cash for it and bought it through the fleet department. The dealer gave a temp tag and a week or so later I got the Fedex envelope with the MSO paper. I called and asked them if they were going to title it in NV but they said since they didn't collect any sales tax they didn't need to. When I took the MSO to the Colorado DMV the Colorado DMV person was so flabbergasted that I had the MSO sheet she called the state office and told them that I had an out of state MSO. They let me register it but said it was the first one they had ever seen like that. Dealer runners do the MSO and first title.

So anyone who has a car with a dealer MSO is very unique or the state didn't care about realizing sales tax on the purchase...

It is also asserted that Ford started the warranty ticking on all remaining inventory at one point. That has been claimed and unclaimed several times so I don't think anyone knows what the real story is.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Rare to get the MSO but as it was purchased from a dealer owner....

I did get the MSO sheet once. On my 2007 Shelby GT500 ordered and purchased in OK. I brought a cashiers check, did the paper work and the dealer owner handed me the MSO and a copy of the bill of sale. I took those to the Texas tax assessors office, paid the sales tax and was issued a Texas title. I did keep a color copy of the MSO.

The original owner of my GT was also smart enough to get a good color copy of the MSO for the car and I have that now along with the two intermediate titles. Just interesting documentation, likely not worth anything.

Chempowr

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2014
Houston, TX
I purchased the car from the owner of the dealer and the MSO was transferred from his ford dealership to his personal corp. I saw the original MSO when buying it from the dealervtonthe personal corp. but I will get an oasis to see what is the real story in fords eyes and provide feedback. Thanks for everyone's input.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Pm me the VIN. I can pull an OASIS for you.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Its a huge misconception that MSO=FULL WARRANTY. MSO has nothing to do with warranty. Here is how the warranty thing works. When a Ford Dealer warranty registers the car in their system, the warranty starts the click from that day. Any Ford Dealer that owns a ford GT that was delivered to them BRAND NEW from the factory would likely have the car on their "floor plan" with ford. There are many Ford Dealers that basically purchased their Ford GT from themselves (the dealership) as they planned to keep the car. Even though they never registered the car and kept the car on "MSO", the warranty start date started the day the car was removed from the dealerships floor plan and warranty registered. If your car was sold from the owner of the dealerships, "dealership", and sold to another company or LLC of his, I would be willing to bet the warranty started clicking on the date he did that.

Any INDIVIDUAL (not a dealer) that owns a car but is keeping it on MSO, that car will have started its warranty count down on the day the dealership sold them the car and removed it from their floor plan.

As others have said, a simple "OASIS REPORT" will tell you the answer to your question.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Don't worry too much, nothing will go wrong in 3 years. As bulletproof as a Lexus.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Interesting stuff following this thread.

I'm not familiar with an OASIS report.

Help?