Buy from dealer or individual?

IwannaGT

Apr 27, 2006
I'm looking at two slightly used GTs, both have under 1000 miles, one is at a Ford dealer, one is being sold by an individual. Both are totally documented, never damaged, etc.

Do you think there's an advantage to buying the car from the Ford dealer instead of from the individual?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
IwannaGT said:
I'm looking at two slightly used GTs, both have under 1000 miles, one is at a Ford dealer, one is being sold by an individual. Both are totally documented, never damaged, etc.

Do you think there's an advantage to buying the car from the Ford dealer instead of from the individual?

Good question.

Is the dealer one still on MSO? They would both still have warranty, but the dealers one may not have started and would begin (even with the 1000 miles) when it is "sold". The private one would already have some of the warranty gone.

Of course there is a question of taxes and fees. Dealer will do that stuff, and depending on where you are the private may or may not. That may bring the decision to $$$$$$$$$$.

You could check with a dealer and find out what service or recalls has been done on the private.

Probably biggest question would be how hard have they been run - who was more gentle with it.

IwannaGT

Apr 27, 2006
Both have been titled, both are 2006's, both have the exact (and not very common) color/option choices that I want.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
IwannaGT said:
Both have been titled, both are 2006's, both have the exact (and not very common) color/option choices that I want.

Price difference or tax difference?

IwannaGT

Apr 27, 2006
The dealer car is maybe $1000 more, insignificant really at these numbers.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Since they are both titled, I guess you mean that one was not ALWAYS owned by the dealer, they just have it for sale like a trade in?

If the dealer one was always with them, I would do tha one. If not, I would go private.

The private guy can tell you more about the specific car and any problems he has had. Who knows what has happened to get a car traded in so fast.

If the dealer was always the owner, then I would go that way. I would think that, while both owners would "see what the car does", the dealer would not be as aggressive as a private owner since they don't want to mess up a saleable car.

IMHO. Let's see what others say.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Just curious, but why is the private individual selling such a new car so soon?

Eric

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
MY 2 cents

If I were buying a GT with miles on it and knowing how some of the cars have been driven. I would have a quick oil sample pulled and sent out for analysis. They could pull it with a pump right from the dipstick and you can get a quick turn around from some of the places. It will show you how hard the car has been driven and how much metal is in the oil.
Just my opinion....
Don

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
The big question is how much are you saving vs. brand new? Let's say you buy a new one at list (which is easy to do), in my book you'd have to be saving at least 10 grand to "consider" the used car. The only way I personally could see the margin being closer is if I knew the previous owner. This car is a major expense, considering I don't know what the $ difference is I can only say it would have to be substantial to go with the used.