Borla Muffler Installed

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I installed my Ford Racing Borla muffler today. It took me about 3 ½ hours. I am sure someone that knows what they are doing could do it faster. Nothing was particularly difficult and no one should be afraid of doing this yourself if you are reasonably mechanical and have access to a lift.

I am pleased with the exhaust note. Maybe I am a wimp, but I really wouldn’t want it much louder. To me the car now sounds like it should… nice V8 rumble without being obnoxious. I really like the “burble” on deceleration. Not as much burble as a Viper, but still better than stock.

I’d recommend this muffler to anyone that wants a noticeable yet measured increase in exhaust volume.

Attachments

• Borla1.jpg
    Borla1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Borla2.JPG
    Borla2.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Borla3.jpg
    Borla3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Cool.

Now get a walk around idle clip and a pull to 6K or so for the rest of us :ack

Zilla57

GT Owner
Jan 6, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Do you have to remove the rear clamshell for the installation? That is my main fear with swapping the exhaust, because I fear that once I remove the clamshell, the fit might not be factory smooth again because the tolerances are so tight.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
No you don't remove the rear clam/engine cover.

You only remove the rear diffuser, lower rear grill (below the exhaust) and the rear bumper.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Chris, your invited to come on over and install mine :biggrin Got the tools, nice vintages to enhance the big steak that I will be cooking for you :wink Pick a date, I am ready. Nice job, I am impressed, between you and Dave I got my tech department handled. Now I need a detail guy....hello :party :banana

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
My first thought when I drove the car was that it sounded good, but needed to be louder and deeper. That sounds like what you have. I like the idea.

My question though is that since it is not a high compression engine or have a radical cam, how does it sound at idle or reving? Good like a performance car / GT should or just louder? As it is now I just don't get a feel of "radical" sound with the GT - something I would like.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
look good......did you lose much in the weight dept.?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
AZGT said:
My first thought when I drove the car was that it sounded good, but needed to be louder and deeper. That sounds like what you have. I like the idea.

My question though is that since it is not a high compression engine or have a radical cam, how does it sound at idle or reving? Good like a performance car / GT should or just louder? As it is now I just don't get a feel of "radical" sound with the GT - something I would like.

AZGT-

I would have to say that the sound is not significantly different than stock, a little deeper and just a bit louder. It definitely does not change the exhaust note into that "high compression lope" or race car V8 sound.

Stax-

I didn't weigh the new muffler, but it is substantially lighter than stock. I'd guess a 20 lb weight savings.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
if isn't louder or sounding badder, why do it? I'm confused

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
It is louder.

Louder=badder

Louder+badder=do it

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
ok

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Florida Chris said:
It is louder.

Louder=badder

Louder+badder=do it

Once you go bad, you never go back... or so they say

I couldn't imagine to go back to stock either. Well done, in 3,5 hrs ! congrats Chris :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Got to get over and see Jerry's install... I feel myself getting weak at the knees already :biggrin

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Borla...

The GTX1 (roadster) at Barrett Jackson had the Borla headers and mufflers. Some think it's too loud, but if your point of reference is a Shelby 427 Cobra, it's not loud at all. After hearing it, headers/mufflers is the route for me. I would drive it (conservately) next to a motorcycle cop without concern of receiving a ticket for noise.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Are there reported (in the literature, etc) to be any horsepower gains from the Borla, or is it just better sounding?

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
After following various Borla threads I was considering the Borla a "must have" option.

My rationale being that installing a "race" exhaust muffler on the BMW Z8 really transformed the driving experience.

Having now driven the GT, it is admittedly quiet with the windows up, but it's at least as loud as the Z8 with the windows open.

This has been a pleasant surprise as I was really expecting it to be fairly quiet.

I guess I need to hear one with a Borla fitted...

Zilla57

GT Owner
Jan 6, 2006
St. Louis, MO
With the Borla headers and exhaust, will it pass the necessary inspections in upcoming years? On the Ford website, it says the exhaust and headers are for track use only. Is all I'm looking at a simple noise violation from some cop on a power trip, or could i have to replace the whole system come time for inspection?

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Borla...

Mark Gerisch who is doing the GTX1 roadster conversions, and who has the Borla headers and Mufflers on the prototype, believes the cats can be retained and is going to do it on his next exhaust conversion.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
No way

Forget about pasing inspections - the headers deletes the cats, and this is also what makes it so loud...

Zilla57 said:
With the Borla headers and exhaust, will it pass the necessary inspections in upcoming years? On the Ford website, it says the exhaust and headers are for track use only. Is all I'm looking at a simple noise violation from some cop on a power trip, or could i have to replace the whole system come time for inspection?

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Florida Chris said:
I installed my Ford Racing Borla muffler today. It took me about 3 ½ hours. I am sure someone that knows what they are doing could do it faster. Nothing was particularly difficult and no one should be afraid of doing this yourself if you are reasonably mechanical and have access to a lift.

I am pleased with the exhaust note. Maybe I am a wimp, but I really wouldn’t want it much louder. To me the car sounds like it should… nice V8 rumble without being obnoxious. I really like the “burble” on deceleration. Not as much burble as a Viper, but still better than stock.

I’d recommend this muffler to anyone that wants a noticeable yet measured increase in exhaust volume.

Chris,

I PM'd you my fax number if you still have the instructions. I just installed the transaxle cooler and after reading your thread, considering the muffler.

Thanks in advance,