Borla Installed today

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Looking forward to picking up GT tomorrow to hear the new exhaust note. Power from the pulley change was very evident.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Where did you get the pulley and did they install it?

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Whipple Superchargers did all the work and supplied the new pulley. They also reprogrammed the computer.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Did you just install the Borla muffler, or the headers as well?

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
I'm also thinking about installing the muffler. Love to know how much louder it is. Could you estimate it in %s.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I only installed the muffler. I'll post again after I have picked it up and had a chance to hear the difference.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Muffler Sound

AMER SPD said:
I'm also thinking about installing the muffler. Love to know how much louder it is. Could you estimate it in %s.

I would say only 10-15 percent louder. And really only obvious when rpm's start building.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
PILOTJPW1 said:
I would say only 10-15 percent louder. And really only obvious when rpm's start building.
I'd say thats about right. But it sounds nicely fat, full and deep when you accelerate, I like that.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Who can suply the headers???
Every place I call says backordered...

2005gt

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
I have the headers and muffler...entire Borla exhaust kit, no cats. About $6k after installation. I'm told only 12 full kits have been sold. A very big job to install...they racked up 21 hours of labor (only charged me for 6 hours...very cool local Ford dealer.) Sound is amazing, and outrageously loud when you hit the throttle. It gives the idle more of a rumble, but the acceleration sound is insane. Too loud to drive around town unless you really baby it. Get on it and you will be pulled over quickly. My left ear was ringing for about 10 minutes after a run yesterday (I did a short short tunnel). I can't recommend it at all if you plan to drive on the street...it makes you baby the car. But on the freeway it is awesome.

I can't stress enough how loud it is past 4k rpm. I might have to go retreat a bit and just do the muffler kit.

I have 12,000 miles on the car now. No problems, runs perfect. Driven extremely hard. About 50% wear on my second set up rear tires...fronts still fine. By far the best car I've driven.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
2005GT-
Thanks for the review. I wish there was a way to split the difference on volume between just the Borla muffler and the headers with muffler.

2005gt

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Florida Chris said:
2005GT-
Thanks for the review. I wish there was a way to split the difference on volume between just the Borla muffler and the headers with muffler.

I am still glad I did the whole kit (headers and all), even though I have to baby the car practically everywhere except the freeway. Man, I bet I'm getting 30 mpg!!! (joke)

Too bad the muffler kit alone is not very loud...I am glad that info was posted because I doubt I would be completely happy without the full kit. Now I feel better!

I showed a friend the exhaust; he said that under hard acceleration my GT is just as loud as his NASCAR. Pretty wild (and fun!)

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
I am in the process of installing the Headers and leaving the stock muffler. I too want a better exhaust (louder) note. I am having the system Jet Hot coated so it may be a while before I can report the results.
And yes this is a time consuming pain in the %^$.
The only uncommon required tools are a specially GT modified automotive lift and an over-head travelling crane ( to remove the engine cover, if three helpers are not handy). :bored

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Bill Briley said:
I am in the process of installing the Headers and leaving the stock muffler. I too want a better exhaust (louder) note. I am having the system Jet Hot coated so it may be a while before I can report the results.
And yes this is a time consuming pain in the %^$.
The only uncommon required tools are a specially GT modified automotive lift and an over-head travelling crane ( to remove the engine cover, if three helpers are not handy). :bored

Sounds interesting. Please keep us posted!

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Happy New Year ,again.
I finished the Header W/Stock Muffler installation. I am very satisfied with the sound. Very nice deep idle, apx 10 decibles louder at cruise. At WOT it sounds like Lemans.
My local Dyno shop is down for the winter, so no dyno results. I did not do this as a power increase but more for the sound. I would advise this mod. :banana

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Headers

one of 101 said:
Who can suply the headers???
Every place I call says backordered...

101 ,
after just reading the post of 2005 GT I think you can buy mine (at the dealer, arrived last week).. The Borla muffler might be just right...Soo many times they came after me in the Stradale (has always opened valves), that I think the GT with Borla muffler will be fine... let me know, 101 !

slf (back in europe as of today)