belt chirping at idle

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I am getting a chirping from the SC belt at idle only. Seems unusual and I do not feel any slip under power. Can it be something else? Thanks.
Derry

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Are you running a Whipple?

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Yes I do have a Whipple, have had it for maybe 2500 miles but no noise till now.

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
I am getting a chirping from the SC belt at idle only. Seems unusual and I do not feel any slip under power.
I'm getting the same thing with my Whipple till it warms up..

H

HHGT

Pretty common with the whipple and not a cause for worry. Kendall loosened up my pulley just a tad and the noise is completely gone, that was 2000 miles ago. On a cautionary note, all whipple users should check the lubricant level through the front glass viewer of the SC to make sure it is the belt and not the internals. If you want to make sure the chirp is from the belt, pour a a few drops of water on the belt and the noise will go away. Incidently, whipple trims the belt to the proper width.

Last edited:

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Thank you guys, I will double check oil level and test the belt with water. Assuming it is only the belt I will probably order a new one and the pulley mentioned above. I appreciate the help!!
Derry