Battery, gauges and the manual

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
always remove the neg first, I do not think that a ford gt has much memory so a stick in the cigar lighter is not necessary

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
always remove the neg first, I do not think that a ford gt has much memory so a stick in the cigar lighter is not necessary

Not true. v
I want to avoid any trauma (to instruments, etc...) when doing a battery switch. Are you guys using any "OBD memory saver", or some specific technique (negative off first, on last)?

It is not true that you shouldn't do a "OBD memory saver" when changing the battery unless you want to run the entire drive cycle to reset the emissions readiness indicators. The Ford tender in the cigar lighter will do the trick. When changing the battery be sure to black tape or otherwise protect the positive terminal from shorting to the chassis.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Agree, leave Ford battery tender plugged in. No issues, just did it ; no problem

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Negative terminal off first and on last. Rob, I know you know this, but for others: The reason for doing it in this order is to prevent shorts to the frame through your wrench when removing and installing the terminals!

As for the OBD saver, some years ago, I made up a cigar lighter adaptor with a 9volt battery plug on the other end. Sometimes I've used it and sometimes I haven't. I can tell that it makes a significant difference in how the car runs, but it does save the radio station memory. I drive my car often enough that I'm always running the drive cycle anyway.

CORRECTON: I "can't" tell that it makes a difference in how the car runs...

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I can tell that it makes a significant difference in how the car runs, but it does save the radio station memory. I drive my car often enough that I'm always running the drive cycle anyway.

Did you mean you can't tell. I have never been able to detect a change on any vehicle. The only thing it does is prevent having to do the full drive cycle if you have to change the battery before an emissions test for places that use obdii readiness as pass/fail criteria. CA,NV,CO and others are doing it that way now. That's why tunes that disable o2 sensors or egr are problems in those places

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Took the car out last Sunday to a car meet. When I left…most gauges were not working. Stopped and started the car a few times with no luck. Drove home and hooked up a different charger direct to the battery terminals. Waited 2 days and started the car. All the gauges are 👍. End result was that the ctech charger I was using was toast. Changed to a new one and all is good. I can stop sweating now. Battery is approximately 4 years old.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Negative terminal off first and on last. Rob, I know you know this, but for others: The reason for doing it in this order is to prevent shorts to the frame through your wrench when removing and installing the terminals!
True! Done it! (not on GT)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think you better make sure your ground strap is clean and tight.

Reactions: Tomcat

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Did you mean you can't tell. I have never been able to detect a change on any vehicle. The only thing it does is prevent having to do the full drive cycle if you have to change the battery before an emissions test for places that use obdii readiness as pass/fail criteria. CA,NV,CO and others are doing it that way now. That's why tunes that disable o2 sensors or egr are problems in those places
Tony, yes. I "can't" tell. I'll blame autocorrect...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony, yes. I "can't" tell. I'll blame autocorrect...
I call it the spill chicken.

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
From West Coast batteries
Does this fit without any issues (Odyssey agm25)?

Reactions: HNS

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Yes.

Reactions: Anderson

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
How about this?

Joe

Attachments

• OCT.21.JPG
    OCT.21.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 33

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
Unless I’m doing something wrong it appears the Odyssey AGM25 does not fit. It fits in the tray, bolts down, but the frunk liner no longer fits as it rests on top of the battery and is not seating properly. The odyssey is taller - the top of the odyssey battery plastic housing is as tall as the top of the terminals of the Optima. Anyone else with this issue?

EDIT: it fits, with zero room to spare. I rotated the leads on the terminals sideways to be out of the way from the bottom of the frunk liner which now rests on top of the battery evenly. I might put a 1mm thick rubber liner on top of battery as cushion. The windows sure work better now lol.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
So the terminals face the front of the car?

any trouble with cables reaching?

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
Yes, terminal side forward. Plenty of reach on the cables and room to swing them sideways.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
How do you rotate the terminals on a AGM 25 to face foward? They don't look adjustable on the battery photos. I have one and ran into the same issue you did (too tall). I saw no option to move the terminals.

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
How do you rotate the terminals on a AGM 25 to face foward? They don't look adjustable on the battery photos. I have one and ran into the same issue you did (too tall). I saw no option to move the terminals.
I didn’t move the terminals themselves as they are in a fixed position. I just rotated the wires out sideways and then clamped them down so they do not rest on top of the battery. That gives the frunk liner just enough room to settle into position on top of the battery and not the wires.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
if one does not want the hassle of using the OEM charger,this memory saver might be useful during battery change:

Attachments

• IMG_1442.jpeg
    IMG_1442.jpeg
    962.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Anderson and 2112

OptimaJim

Dec 15, 2009
dr914, I’m sorry to hear about the issues you’ve been having with your batteries. Do you recall the voltage level of your batteries when you were having issues with them and the circumstances surrounding those issues? What type of maintainer and settings are you using? As long as I’ve been working for OPTIMA, I’ve been asking for a special run of BLACKTOP batteries for GT owners. Does anyone think there be any interest in these batteries, if I were able to get them produced? Thanks!

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries

Reactions: 69b302 and Simon