Battery Charger issue

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The OEM charger is a CTEK :)
Never opened the OEM charger, so never seen it. Had the charger I'm using now, ready to go before the car arrived. It does not click or do anything but keep the car charged.

Key has also always been in the car in its tray in front of the start button (some other comments in this thread)

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Hello Enzo Btr. Do you have the 4 or 7 amp maintainer? The early cars 2017 to about the beginning of 2019 I think had the smaller 4 amp battery maintainer the later cars had the larger 7 amp battery maintainer. When the cars battery goes into hibernation (falling below 10.5 volts) the smaller 4 amp battery maintainer was not able to wake up the Battery from hibernation only a 7 amp battery maintainer could. I have about 6 battery maintainers ( two 7 amps and four 4 amps) at work. I also have two 4 amp ctek battery maintainers at home. All of them light up full charged when the batteries are fully charged. If its clicking fast when only reaching half way full even after unplugging and pluging them back in there maybe a problem with it.

Joe
Sorry for the delay (COVID really is a PITA...). I finally got out to the garage and looked, and I've got the 7.0-amp charger. Just like this one. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-10665-A

BTW, when I looked (and listened) just now, it was making a softer, low-volume clicking sound that I swear is quieter than the clicking I'm used to hearing (and not liking), and the battery was showing fully charged with no issues. And I hadn't looked at it since at least Friday (once again, thank you COVID...).

So today's experience suggests the clicking isn't (always) a problem.

Reactions: italianjoe

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
2021 car.. Ford(CTek) charger from day one. Always fully charged when I go out. Always use the front charge point instead of the rear.
Shorter pathway to battery and recommended by iJoe and PMF. Charger never clicks. after Driving and hooking the charger back up, it steps through the first two battery state levels quickly, then sometime later makes it to the fully charged indication. This is after a fully charge battery before the drive and then 30-45 minutes of spirited driving. You would think the charger would indicate fully charged right away, but the CTek does battery health checks in the later two steps, thus taking a while to indicate fully charged and OK.
If my charger didnt get to fully charged and was cycling/clicking, I'd have the battery or charger or both checked. Especially while under warrenty

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Thank you to all that replied. I talked to my closest GT mechanic, and he informed me that he has replaced several faulty batteries but not many chargers. It's a bit of a haul roundtrip to take the car for this diagnosis. I would like to try another Ctek charger to try to determine if its the charger or battery. There are so many models, can someone tell me which one they are using? Thank you!

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Thank you to all that replied. I talked to my closest GT mechanic, and he informed me that he has replaced several faulty batteries but not many chargers. It's a bit of a haul roundtrip to take the car for this diagnosis. I would like to try another Ctek charger to try to determine if its the charger or battery. There are so many models, can someone tell me which one they are using? Thank you!
The lithium ion battery in the NFGT has an Integrated module.

Joe

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Follow up: I ordered a new ctek charger and it shows a fully charged battery after about 10 hours of charging. I have a defective OEM charger. I still have 8 months of warranty, so I have some time. Thanks for the replies

Reactions: TACHY