Bahamas Speed Week

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Anyone thinking of doing this?

http://www.bahamasspeedweekrevival.com/Bahamas_Speed_Week/Home.html

Hoping it's going to be a nice break from the gloomy UK winter!

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Just me then :)

I'll fly the GT flag proudly! Car goes into a container this week.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
"Entry is open to Sports and GT cars of the period capable of running in a Tour Auto type road event plus classic road cars from 1954 to the present day and modern-day supercars. All will participate in the competitive sections of the event with timing being optional for the latter two categories. One of the unique elements of this week-long event is that it provides owners the opportunity to drive their race cars on public roads without fear of prosecution, as the local government is arranging for them to be temporarily road-registered whilst on the island and is getting the prisoners to make the number plates – just as they did in the 50s and 60s!"

Sounds like a great event, a bit out of my budget right now, but hopefully you can post some awesum photo's!!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Sounds like a great event, a bit out of my budget right now, but hopefully you can post some awesum photo's!!

+1 !

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Will do. Got one of those GoPro video cams to stick on the car and might get another for more complete coverage.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Should be a neat time. Hope they find some decent Roads for you to run on. I know there are some great beach's.

Going to Lyford for Halloween, maybe I can find out some more.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Should be a neat time. Hope they find some decent Roads for you to run on. I know there are some great beach's.

Going to Lyford for Halloween, maybe I can find out some more.
The two courses they're setting out are shown below. I've no idea on the scale so can't tell how long the straights are. Not massively long I'm guess, so they can keep the speeds down a bit. Sorry about the image rotation. No idea why they're like that!

Mount%20Charlotte%20Hillclimb%20.jpeg

Arawack%20Cay%20Circuit.jpeg

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Thanks for the info. I was not aware of this event. Have you attended before? Any info you can share would be great. I'd love to try and make it. I have a D-type replica that would be fun to run around the island in. I'm getting ready to sell the D-type and this sounds like a great venue to attend before selling.
P1030110.jpg

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Thanks for the info. I was not aware of this event. Have you attended before? Any info you can share would be great. I'd love to try and make it. I have a D-type replica that would be fun to run around the island in. I'm getting ready to sell the D-type and this sounds like a great venue to attend before selling.
View attachment 22560
It's the first year (in this format) so can't really help much, Sorry! Most of the info is on the main site in my first post.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
First in the Hill Climc, second in the sprint!

http://youtu.be/rA3FAogfQLw?hd=1

http://youtu.be/FZ5BU02CLBw

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Great stuff especially the flagger girl freaking out at the beginning

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona

Beautiful D-Type replica! :thumbsup Who built it? Would love to see more photos.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Beautiful D-Type replica! :thumbsup Who built it? Would love to see more photos.[/QUOTE]

I love this D Type, it is a blast to drive and sounds wicked. The following are a couple of pics I like. The one with the front bonnet open is at Coronado Historic Speed Festival.

It was recreated by Erol Tempero (New Zealand) back in early 90s. Correct wooden bucks were created, for a fitted hand-made alloy panels. It’s an aluminum alloy central monocoques and steel spaceframe. Construction pictures of the process can be seen on Erol’s son’s website, http://rodtempero.com/contact.html.

Attachments

• -25.jpg
    -25.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMAG1410.jpg
    IMAG1410.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 336
  • -24.jpg
    -24.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 249

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
It was recreated by Erol Tempero (New Zealand) back in early 90s. Correct wooden bucks were created, for a fitted hand-made alloy panels. It’s an aluminum alloy central monocoques and steel spaceframe. Construction pictures of the process can be seen on Erol’s son’s website, http://rodtempero.com/contact.html.

Then you've got one of the most beautifully built D-Type replica's in existence! I'm very familiar with the Tempero family's work, as I have the last of their seven XJ13 replicas. Here's a video Rod sent me a while back - not of my car, but of an earlier one under construction.

[video=youtube;iQqwOJu0I3g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQqwOJu0I3g[/video]

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Looks like you were the talk of the town after that hill climb blast.:rofl Hope my island pals put out the red carpet for you guys.

Thanks for the post and feed back, Now thats a hell of a rally, load the GT's on ships we can go anywhere in the world.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Then you've got one of the most beautifully built D-Type replica's in existence! I'm very familiar with the Tempero family's work, as I have the last of their seven XJ13 replicas. Here's a video Rod sent me a while back - not of my car, but of an earlier one under construction.

That is really cool. If you ever need any advice or help on the XJ13, my father in-law was involved in the development and sales. The XJ 13 is an amazing car and the Tempero version is the closest to the real one. I have a great story about the development of the XJ 13 recreation.

As another teaser, here is a pic of us in New Zealand at Erol's shop.

AUT_0203.JPG

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
If you ever need any advice or help on the XJ13, my father in-law was involved in the development and sales. The XJ 13 is an amazing car and the Tempero version is the closest to the real one. I have a great story about the development of the XJ 13 recreation.

Do you mean development and sales of the Tempero replica? I'm all ears for whatever stories, and re: the teaser photo!!

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Looks like a fun event.. Great job !! Thanks for posting the videos.. It was sad to see a vette go into the wall,,, blame on old tires and no ABS

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Looks like a fun event.. Great job !! Thanks for posting the videos.. It was sad to see a vette go into the wall,,, blame on old tires and no ABS
Actually, his steering wheel fell off! Shows how badly setup it was though as when he hit the brakes the wheels go full lock. I'll post some pictures later. It was a great event. If you were a full on racer it wouldn't have been a great test, but everyone was so much fun it more than made up for it.