back boards

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
After an automotive accident recently, i had the pleasure of a ride to the hospital on a backboard. Absolutely misirable experience. I was out of the car and felt as well as could be expected, but it was required that I be attached to the backboard before we got to the hospital. I didn't have any back pain at all after the accident, but two hours on that board killed me. I can't find a better mouse trap. but I was hoping someone might have some input as to where I might look.

Thanks,

Steve

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Its a necessary evil to keep your spine as still as possible.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
After an automotive accident recently, i had the pleasure of a ride to the hospital on a backboard. Absolutely misirable experience. I was out of the car and felt as well as could be expected, but it was required that I be attached to the backboard before we got to the hospital. I didn't have any back pain at all after the accident, but two hours on that board killed me. I can't find a better mouse trap. but I was hoping someone might have some input as to where I might look.

Thanks,

Steve

I assume you're referring to THE RIDE itself more than being on the 'board? If so, the answer lies with THE PEOPLE WHO DESIGN THE SUSPENSIONS on those darn ambulances! I SWEAR they were designed to CREATE injuries by the time one arrived at the horsepistol if one didn't have any before hand. BUCKBOARDS are Rolls Royces compared to those darn things and there's really no excuse for it.

(I've had the backboard experience too, and 'know just what you mean!)

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
No, I spent most of my time on the board in the hospital. There was a wreck involving an elderly lady that bumped me back in the waiting room. I understand the reasoning behind the board, but the actual design of the board is not the way your back is designed. I was hoping to find a more ergonomically correct version to donate to the fire department.

Thanks,

Steve

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Aaaaaaah. Well, the problem with designing ergonomically correct 'boards is "one size" obviously wouldn't provide a proper fit for all. As a result, EMTs would have to have 30 dozen different boards on hand...or ONE 'board that was infinately adjustable and would therefore likely weigh a ton.

Life 'ain't' never simple...'are' it?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Stryker makes a "scoop"...a metal skeleton gurney that ratches in center and ribs/blades scoop/lock under you.

For when movement is excruciating; then your own weight rests on a flat surface. Stretch your lower backs & stay in shape folks, not fun when pain strikes.