Back at it...

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Well, I walked out to the shop this morning and the back of our GT is completely stripped.

We have received some of the 3.9 differentials and since we also have the clutches ready we are going to begin installing everything. The master tech from Ricardo will be out on Tuesday to train our guys on assembly of the differential. For those that have already pre-ordered their differentialss you should be getting a phone call from me within the next couple of weeks. We still have some of the first batch of differentials available. Let me know if you would like to get one reserved for you.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Here are the pictures of the actual parts included in the 3.9 kit.

The really impressive part is that the actual pinion is machined out of one solid piece of steel. The factory part was a forged unit.

(Post edited for picture.)

Attachments

• 3.9_Kit_B.jpg
    3.9_Kit_B.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Here are some more pictures. The man on the left is one of the lead engineers from Ricardo. The man on the right is Steve Millen, and the man in the middle is our companies General Manager, Chuck Howlett.

In the second picture you will see the very beginning of the disassembly process. When we do the 3.9 swap we literally end up with a bare gearbox sitting on the stand. We then have to rebuild it from the ground up again. It is very labor intensive. In order to get these made we had to sign a contract with Ricardo to be the exclusive worldwide installation center on these. Cullen (the Ricardo engineer on the left) has been with us for the past few days training our techs on the installation process.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 335
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Thanks for the update.. We'll be waiting for the test results !!!

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
And do they put in some new half shaft bolts too? :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Here are the pictures of the actual parts included in the 3.9 kit.

The really impressive part is that the actual pinion is machined out of one solid piece of steel. The factory part was a forged unit.

(Post edited for picture.)

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, nuts! NOW I gotta mop up all this drool off my keyboard...

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
A very cool look at the guts! Thanks for sharing!

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
So...........I guess we are not supposed to try this at home? :rofl

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
So...........I guess we are not supposed to try this at home? :rofl

I for one would not try it haha. If you want to take apart your own gearbox be my guest haha.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Just wondering if the Ricardo engineers had any oil recommendations other than Fords?

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Just wondering if the Ricardo engineers had any oil recommendations other than Fords?

There is actually a slight issue with that. When we started this project we purchased a 55 gallon drum of the Ricardo recommended gear oil. Only to find out later that it was the last drum that Ricardo had and will have of that particular oil. We have done some cross-referencing and found a very similar oil that Ricardo confirms will work just as well as their oil. I don't have the exact part number right now but it is a BP oil.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
...man, there must be some special stuff in that oil. Why so particular, let alone un-obtainium?

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
...man, there must be some special stuff in that oil. Why so particular, let alone un-obtainium?

That's pretty much what we said. I don't really know why Ricardo discontinued this particular line. They just said that they didn't make it anymore. I will get the information about the comparable BP oil and post it for everyone.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Why did the $10,000 a quart oil for the Enzo immediately come to mind when I read this... :biggrin