Audio Trim Piece(s) Removal

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I have the audio trim piece removal and audio puller kit (be glad to loan it to anyone; just PM me).

However, the removal of the trim pieces so that the slide slots can be accessed by the puller pair, is not intuitive.

I have the pdf, but it does not show how to use the tool.

Anyone who has used the trim piece removal part, please let me know how you moved them aside so that the radio could be pulled.

Thanks,

- doc

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I couldn't get the trim removal tool to work and used a tool that I had that looks like an ice pick with the last 1/4" of the tip bent at a 90 degree angle. I rotated the tip under the trim pieces a pryed them up (towards that back of the car). The trim doesn't come off by moving towards the sides as the instrutions shows!

BlackICE

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Well, that certainly explains why the darned thing did not move the pieces to the side. Thanks, BlackICE; that will save me quite a bit of time...and cursing.

- doc

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I'm officially ready to take the plunge on changing the GT's head unit. I spent last weekend changing the speakers and head unit in my 1973 Saab Sonett, and it involved cutting the dash to get everything to fit (thank you Dremel!).

After that, swapping the head unit in the GT seems like a cakewalk, but I'm still nervous about pulling the trim pieces and getting the factory unit out without damaging anything. Please let us know how it goes.

I have those metal "removal" tabs that came with the Alpine unit I put in my Sonett, and they work great at sliding down each side of the head unit and releasing it from the sleeve. I'd like to think these would work for the GT's head unit as well, but don't know. If I get the trim pieces off I suppose I can try them out.

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide as you go through this process.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Enzo:

You are a brave man. I just tried another tool, using tape along the dash edges to avoid scratching, and I cannot get behind the side trim to move it out.

Good luck and let us know. In fact, set your digital camera on macro and take some shots of it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You are welcome. Note the tabs holding the trim pieces in are located about 1/4 of the way in from the ends on both sides. So if you slide a removal too in the middle and move them towards one of the ends you should hit a tabs. Then you have to pull pretty hard up to remove the trim pieces. Remove each tab separately.

Note also that you must slide the removal tools for the radio between the DIN holder and the chrome bracket that is next to the head unit. They should click into place. Be careful they are flimsy and tend to bend when pushing them in.

The really thanks should go to SteveA who help me with how to remove these.

BlackICE

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
It looks like aluminum to me; polished aluminum. Then again...

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
BlackICE is very skilled. Myself? Not so much. I am going to let Ford handle the pulling of the unit while it is in Detroit.

- doc

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
92NSX:

Yes, I believe the car leaves for Detroit tomorrow some time.

I looked at the side pieces and tried various tools to see how tenacious these pieces are installed. It was a battle of wills, and the trim pieces won.

I have a Monster Cable RCA to mini plug cable, and I'll use it and exit it from the radio onto passengers side.

- doc

Townshend

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Just for reference this is the cable I'm planning on using RSN.

Its pretty sweet....Charges the iPod at the same time!

http://www.autosound2000.com/ipodadapters.htm

Erick

Swazi

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Northern California
i have noticed something funny recently with my ipod hookup.

when i have the ipod charging from the cig lighter, it picks up a high frequency noise that is amplified by the mcintosh thru the rca jack.

it is slight, but i have sensitive hearing.

when its not charging, no noise.

i've tried a couple versions of cig lighter chargers already (monster, belkin).

not a big deal, but wondering if anyone else has seen this.