Audi R8 - anybody own or drive one?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I've had an Audi R8 on order for some time, and will likely get my allotment in the next couple months. I'm trying to decide if I actually still want it, as my garage space is quite limited.

I've sat in three R8s, but never driven one. I'm happy to share my thoughts on the interior comfort, space, etc... if anyone is interested.

Has anybody drive one, and have any thoughts on it, perhaps in comparison to the GT, which I'm quite familiar with (and no - I'm not thinking of selling mine).

Thanks.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Wait for R8 cabriolet or R10

I have not driven one, but have sat in many, and read 6-8 reviews ( Automobile mag has one this month); I compared it to my GT, which may not be fair.

Most say its a bit sterile in delivery...also looks get nod for being aggressive/massive but panned for beauty....engine looks miniscule in bay.

Unless you are a Audi cult guru I would pass, as I see prices falling on a mass produced econo-exotic.

The R6 (Boxter fighter) is also on way... will dilute R8 as SLK did to look of SLR McClaren.

http://www.germancarblog.com/2007/06/audi-r4-audi-r6-audi-r10-all-coming.html

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Tungsten (Don) test drove one on a track, and can provide some feedback which is probably summed up by saying wait for the future 10 or 12 cylinder version...because it's presently under powered.

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
R8

I got to crawl around on an early one in the US.
Craftsmanship is stunning and they sound amaaaaaazing.
Having driven the Gallardo, with which it shares much, I am sure it is on par with it. While not as blood-stirring as a GT, they are really cool.

Given the price parity with 911's I know which way I'd go.

Lew

GT Owner
Nov 9, 2006
South Florida
I just received this link with info on the Audi R8 V12 TDI CONCEPT. Let's hope concept becomes reality. This would be a good use of precious garage space...

http://germancarscene.com/2008/01/14/in-detail-audi-r8-v12-tdi-concept/

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I saw one on the street here and it really looked nice. I thought it would be a nice daily driver. Not in the class of the GT though.

Sounds like it is not easy to buy yet.

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
All the reports that I have read on the R8 reckon that it is the supercar of the moment.With great build quality and handling quality, with 4 wheel drive stability. I think if you want a car for everyday driveability and performance this is the car to go for. They are in such short supply if you are lucky enough to get one and you do not decide you like it, you will have no trouble in selling it. There is a convertible due within 18 months to two years, and as for the R10, I don't think this will happen as they are scared of taking sales away from Lambo. However, what is coming is a V12 disesel with493 brakehorse power and more torque than a train.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I'm happy to share my thoughts on the interior comfort, space, etc... if anyone is interested.

I just saw my first one in the flesh. Would be interested in hearing your impressions. The interior sure looks fantastic, typical high end Audi. I loved that motor in the RS4 I drove, but not sure if it will pass muster in a car with a solid six figure price tag.

Sanjay

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
I drove one.

Get the electormag suspension. The standard suspension rides rougher than the GT.
The tt with its shorter wheel base and the electro mag suspension rides nicer.Handling is incredible. Interior fit and finish is great. The automatic clutch sucks big time. Revs up then releases for a lurching start. Downshifting also lurches too much. Would be unsettling under any circumstance. Get the standard. That is what the car magazines are given and it so not by chance.

It will make for an excellent daily driver.

Enjoy

Last edited:

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I drove one.

Get the electormag suspension. The standard suspension rides rougher than the GT.

Maybe options are different in Canada, but I believe magnetic ride is standard on the R8 in the US.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal

It's unfair to blame the SLK designers for the the heinousness of the McClaren Mercedes. The SLR is a unique abomination.

Audi/Lambo are going to be THE manufacturer to contend with regarding "performance" within ten years. Wait and see. The question in my mind is how they will differentiate the two marquees.

I've seen a couple of the R8's recently here is SoCal. They keep looking better to me..