Atmosphere Change since 2017 model?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Twin turbos are amazing. Just do not expect them to make much of a difference when you are up against a Plaid.

But the plaid is an ugly 4-door.

Reactions: Sinovac

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
A FAST-in-a-straight-line ugly 4-door

Reactions: Fast Freddy

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Well you know what they say about opinions on design. The performance though is undeniable.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Saw this and thought it was funny.

For the record, now that Musk has become a rebel/disrupter, I have grown to like him.

Still don’t want one of his 4-door cars though. Not even if they are brutally fast.

Attachments

• AC878336-30FB-4647-BF0C-CFE085236154.jpeg
    AC878336-30FB-4647-BF0C-CFE085236154.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 32

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I drove my 2006 this weekend and was SOOO happy the A/C kicks butt. My 1988 911 and 1986 Ferrari 328 GTS not so much (aka not at all). Only challenging thing is that I like to drive the FGT with the windows open. It makes it easier to wave back at people or give back a "thumbs up."

And I did take it out earlier in the week to show it to a guy that came to deliver a new refrigerator. He saw it under the car cover in the garage and said "is that a Ford GT under there?". I said yes. He said he had never seen one in person, so of course I remedied that. My wife comes out and I have the clamshell open and she just shakes her head and walks away.
Yeah my 87 911 AC sucks and my 65 912 doesn't have one!

Reactions: dreimer

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
So many members who "thought about going" wanted an itinerary and there was none. No plan. Every day will be played on the fly. People called to ask questions and I had no answers. "I have no idea how this is going to work, where we're going to stay, or what we're going to do, but it's going to be great! Don't miss it." Most people didn't buy that pitch and they missed it.

Real adventure usually happens on the far side of nuts. What we trusted was your ability to research travel options, hotels, & routes on your phone while driving at over 150 MPH and then sending out a group text without missing a beat while navigating flawlessly. Your performance there was most impressive Dave.

Chip
It was a fantastic time, wasn’t it? And as Chip notes, we winged it every step of the way. Once back in the UK, Fred, Sherry, Roz and I spent extra time visiting the Morgan and McLaren factories before finally loading our cars (or at least the remains of one of them!) for shipping back to the US. I have a great memory of running about 140 along the M40 with all its speed cameras thinking “ no front plate, Texas rear plate - what they gonna do ?”. Dumb luck let me get away with it too.

john gourley

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 27, 2006
That was a lifetime highlight that cannot be repeated. It was absolutely everything you could ask for in a ludicrous high-speed adventure with the right crew of people to do such a thing. Sometimes I think "I can't believe we did that." I also think you people are nuts for believing me when I said "Trust me, I know what I'm doing." :ROFLMAO:
That LeMans trip was unforgettable start to finish Hell they all have been. Thanks for the hard work and the memories!

Reactions: KennethClay

john gourley

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 27, 2006
Gentlemen,

Amen to this. Want to experience real GT enthusiasm? Come to Rally 14 where ever the hell (and whenever) that might be. An orgy of GT owners destroying the investment value of their cars by driving them 500 miles in three days acquiring stone chips, perhaps a windshield star, and in my case, a flat tire on a 2017 GT a long way from home with no spare!

I often think back to our 6 GT caravan drive around Europe and to Le Mans in 2016. Well over 1000 miles, half of it in the rain, one GT totaled, the other 5 damaged in some way getting them there and back, AND IT WAS FRIGGING AWESOME!!! Literally a lifetime highlight for all of us.

Despite diminished resale values we all leave the Rallies richer in those things that truly matter.

So what's it all about? Possession, or experience?

One more analogy. Most of the people I know who have been on a holiday in Africa stayed in a nice hotel, and ventured out during the day riding in a passenger van to view the wildlife from the road in the comfort of their padded seats. For additional adventure some of them would roll their windows down or peer out of the open top. The animals were use to the vehicles and not that wild anymore. Afterwards they'd all retire to the Lodge for cocktails and a fine meal. They were there, but they didn't see or experience truly wild Africa. They paid for a seat and got to look at it. The cost for such an experience was modest.

But for 20 times that amount of money you can be flown hundreds of miles out into the middle of truly wild Africa where there have never been any roads, any fences, or any buildings. You can live for three weeks in a tented camp and walk 12 hours a day trying to catch up to a herd of fast-moving elephant without even knowing if any bulls had ivory long enough to make it worth the effort. You can feel the sting of 50 painful tsetse fly bites every day and make it back to camp soaked with sweat. You can hear the tin can stone rattling breathing of a big leopard as it passes within 10 feet of your blind, the deafening roar of a lion charging out of the tall grass straight at you, and watch the blinding speed of a Cheetah swiping the back legs out from underneath an Impala at nearly 70 miles an hour. Then return to your tented camp with no hot and cold running water at the end of each day. The sites, the sounds, and the smell of those last truly wild places was magic. Option two was certainly a shitty financial investment but in what really matters those trips made me a wealthy man.

I know what it's like to spin a Ford GT on the track at triple digit speeds, to chase my friends at insane velocities on some amazing roads all over the US and Europe, I know what the cars feel like, how they respond, how they sound, and even how they smell when they're seriously being used. With nearly 8000 miles on it my 2017 Ford GT would not garner any amazing bids on Bring a Trailer. Nor would my 2006 with 28,000 miles. But they've made me far wealthier than any individual who deposited a check for $1.3 million after they relinquished a new GT they never really experienced. They paid for that seat, got to look at it, scored a financial gain, and will go to the next world never knowing what that incredible car was really like. Is that honestly the better deal?

That's my take on it. All the best.

Chip
Well said as always my Friend

Reactions: Stef