Atlanta GT Dealer or Tech- Third gear GONE

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
Does anyone have experience with an Atlanta Ford dealer you trust with your GT? I have serious transaxle or shifter issue (hopefully). Third gear kicked out at 125MPH++ and now freewheels in third position. All other gears great. Car was never power shifted. Have a referral to Rich Brooks from recent kind reply. Any help appreciated as I gain information. Thanks to all.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
You are likely going to have to replace the Trans. We have experienced this before. Transmissions are not serviceable. Probably not the reply you wanted to hear, but likely the end result. I hope for your sake I am wrong....

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I can have it fixed if you don't wanna spend the money on a new one!

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
Are the syncros and/or gears not available? How many gazillions for a new trans!! I may have found a tech. Just got a call from a local owner.

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
Thanks BMF. Where are you located?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
You can only get parts if you know someone or have spare transmissions. Minnesota, shoot me a pm with a email address.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You are likely going to have to replace the Trans. We have experienced this before. Transmissions are not serviceable. Probably not the reply you wanted to hear, but likely the end result. I hope for your sake I am wrong....

Yikes! :frown

I can have it fixed if you don't wanna spend the money on a new one!

Wow, to the rescue. :thumbsup

Keep us posted on your results.

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
THIRD GEAR FAILURE RESOLVED:

Gentlemen, we have been successful at repairing my 3rd gear! After many suggestions, posts and fingers crossed by so many of you here on the Forum, Aaron Scott @ South Georgia Corvette along with some serious advice, guidance and assistance from Kyle Millen @ STILLEN we have successfully repaired my Ricardo. The multi-thousand dollar savings has been transferred into some more worthwhile additions into a new STILLEN clutch and exhaust, Whipple pulley and multiple other upgrades coupled with a final dyno tune by Aaron.

I was extremely dissapointed after the 3rd gear failure at 4,000 miles. To find that Ricardo was aware of the issue during production and to hear from Forum members that a new transaxle was the only way out was disheartening to say the least. Fortunately, I found the right guys that were not afraid to tackle the Ricardo. She was test driven less than an hour ago and is performing flawlessly again.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What was it that was broken exactly?

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
Ricardo (Adrian Turner) announced (via another forum member) that Ricardo had discovered a weak weld in the two gears that form 3rd gear. They claimed that they "had caught it before any made their way into production cars". Obviously this was not true as mine split apart and allowed 3rd gear to simply freewheel. It was actually not a broken gear rather separated by the weak weld. The shifter stayed in position but acted as if I had simply clutched the car. The gears were not damaged and were re-welded via the original electron beam process utilized by Ricardo without compromising the gear integrity or hardness.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Man! Did YOU ever come out smellin' like a rose on that one!!!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
It's a beautiful thing.......and to use the excess $$$ for some more HP was icing on the cake.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Comforting news for the rest of us too.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ricardo (Adrian Turner) announced (via another forum member) that Ricardo had discovered a weak weld in the two gears that form 3rd gear. They claimed that they "had caught it before any made their way into production cars". Obviously this was not true as mine split apart and allowed 3rd gear to simply freewheel. It was actually not a broken gear rather separated by the weak welk The shifter stayed in position but acted as if I had simply clutched the car. The gears were not damaged and were re-welded via the original electron beam process utilized by Ricardo without compromising the gear integrity or hardness.

Would you mind giving us the year and serial number (last 4 digits of the VIN)?