Anyone have lap times...

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
3:12 Full Track at Millers, with street tires ( Pirelli P-Zeros)

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Those are race car times. A factory Porsche GT3RSR will run sub 1:20's but that is an out and out race car. Huge difference between street car modified vs. real race car. A FGT would need to loose at least 500-600 lbs, improve the down force, along with suspension and slicks. Power isn't the issue, its keeping it on the track through turn 8 at a 160mph. BTW, an Enzo :frown won't even come close to a 1:21 even with Michael Schumacher driving. MC12 maybe, FXX, yes:thumbsup , and I'm waiting for an owner to call me.
Jimmy

if ya cant beat a 1:21 lap time at willow springs with a million $$$ car then you might want to go back to race skool. i ran a 1:34 at this track in a POS datsun 240-Z worth less than 10K. :rolleyes

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
if ya cant beat a 1:21 lap time at willow springs with a million $$$ car then you might want to go back to race skool. i ran a 1:34 at this track in a POS datsun 240-Z worth less than 10K. :rolleyes

Well, Freddy,

still quite a substantial difference between 1:34 and 1:21, by all means....:bored
No, that's nothing less than another world !

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
cut the weight on the GT to less than 3,000 lbs and upgrade the suspension and shoe the car with slicks. twin turbo the engine to 1000 crank hp and put bigger brakes on and aero devices on the body. in the hands of a good driver this should be pretty damn close for alot less $$$ than an enzo. :thumbsup

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
cut the weight on the GT to less than 3,000 lbs and upgrade the suspension and shoe the car with slicks. twin turbo the engine to 1000 crank hp and put bigger brakes on and aero devices on the body. in the hands of a good driver this should be pretty damn close for alot less $$$ than an enzo. :thumbsup

now we are talking, Fred ! I'd say just the slicks, a pulley and tune, and maybe brakes are sufficient. Slicks on a track make soo much difference. let's remember the Gt is stock setup was equal on the top gear track to the Stradale and the Carrera GT3. Actually, a notch quicker. What the pulley and tune do is already AMAZING vs standard.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I'm trying to get slicks and light weight BBS for mine currently, and then (when warmer) will test against the Stradale and Enzo on the track. Same driver (for better or worse:biggrin ) so car alone the parameter measured..

Stefan

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA

The late Paul Mumford did that to a Viper with 700 hp... lap time 1:24.:frown

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal

Yes, and that 1:24 was with a serious driver, car and motor.

I'm not sure the aerodynamic efficiency of the GT relative to a Viper anymore than I'm aware of the road racing abilities of the two cars but getting an additional 300whp out of a motor for a session at speed in Freddy's theoretical GT would require some serious $'s I would think.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Has anyone on the board any firsthand experience tracking "hard" or racing a GT?

I would like to hear them share their experiences, especially related to "similar" cars.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

all hail the dodge viper :bow the GT's motor is in the back with a superior weight distribution and polar moments. lower roof height and a longer wheelbase too. many years ago F1 cars used to have their motors in the front and now they have their motors in the back. i could be wrong but i think that a GT can be modified to beat the vipers best time at willow. yes it will cost alot of $$$ but someday somebody will give it a shot and i would bet $$$ that if the car is sorted out properly and the right driver is behind the wheel that a heavily modified GT could produce a quicker lap time than a viper :thumbsup

Last edited:

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
I got a GT and a Viper, but if I was going to start from scratch and build a "fast" track car, between the three I'd go with a Vette. The new vette is hard to beat if you're talking sheer performance.

Edit* Hey Freddy, what the heck is a polar moment?

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
I got a GT and a Viper, but if I was going to start from scratch and build a "fast" track car, between the three I'd go with a Vette. The new vette is hard to beat if you're talking sheer performance.

Edit* Hey Freddy, what the heck is a polar moment?
kj,
I dunno, Dodge and team Viper turned out a lot of race proven stuff which is easier to build on rather then doing it yourself, having done that. I'm thinking a Viper competition coupe with a little more hp and some aero aids (big wing) might be close to Fast Freddy idea. I think Ford had the right idea, too bad $ woes caused them to cut the FGT short. IF they could have road raced the FGT, we would have benefited. :biggrin

We are really talking about turning a street car into a race car and its never cheap. :frown
Jimmy

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
what kind of lap time do you think a twin turbo saleen S7 with slicks and stiffer springs could turn out? my guess is that this car would most certainly give an enzo a run for its $$$. with that said i am thinking sub 1:24. 1:21 with the right driver......

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
kj,
I dunno, Dodge and team Viper turned out a lot of race proven stuff which is easier to build on rather then doing it yourself, having done that. I'm thinking a Viper competition coupe with a little more hp and some aero aids (big wing) might be close to Fast Freddy idea. I think Ford had the right idea, too bad $ woes caused them to cut the FGT short. IF they could have road raced the FGT, we would have benefited. :biggrin

We are really talking about turning a street car into a race car and its never cheap. :frown
Jimmy

No doubt about the comp. coupe but that's a purpose built race car.

I'm not sure if you can justify the xtra bucks for a base GT over a Viper or Vette. Not if your trying to acheive maximum track performance per buck spent.

Converting street cars(VIN #'d) into race cars, generally speaking, isn't the way to go. Certainly not if you can buy a race car direct from the Manufacturer( Ferrari Challenge, Porsche GT3 Cup, Dodge Comp. Coupe are a few examples).

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
what kind of lap time do you think a twin turbo saleen S7 with slicks and stiffer springs could turn out? my guess is that this car would most certainly give an enzo a run for its $$$. with that said i am thinking sub 1:24. 1:21 with the right driver......

Fast
I think the Saleen will kill the Enzo at Willow with your proposed mods, reason is ground effects on the Enzo don't do well on rough or bumpy surfaces. Why hasn't someone run an Enzo at Nurburgring? Too bumpy at least thats what the racers are saying in europe. As for the times, 1;23's with someone like Tommy Kendal driving.:thumbsup
Jimmy

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
I found this vid of a 1:21 at Willow. Car is a porsche 930 race car, 2250 lbs, 800 hp, on slicks driven by Dwain Demint a good driver. Car has gone 1:18's :cheers

http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/POC_video/Willow Springs/?action=view&current=DwainWSIRHotLap.flv

Last edited:

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/POC_video/Willow Springs/?action=view&current=DwainWSIRHotLap.flv

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
Can't seem to link. Go to www.porscheclub.com and express menu to video's

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
It's my understanding that Ford gathered novice drivers, intermediate drivers, and great drivers when developing the suspension geometries of the GT. They got to a point where the serious drivers were capable of driving around 3 seconds a lap quicker then how it is set up in stock form... why didn't they do this? the setup is capable of bringing the novice within a few seconds of the great driver, all while making it easy to drive.... with the more aggressive geometry, the novice and intermediate drivers didn't have the same level of confidence, and the gap between them and the great drivers was deemed too high... I think a fair amount of that testing was at Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, and Road America...

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
WSIR and Button Willow are home tracks for me.

The difference between a mediocre time and a stunning time is all in turn 8 -9 and a bit in turn 1. Self preservation reflexs ( huevos) are the only thing keeping most from great times at this track. You have to work up to it slowly, 100 rpm at a time. Most think the cars will not hold.

8 is a no lift turn for the fastest times, drive right straight through the apex . It's a little bumpy down low like this but you have the straightest line. Then brake almost as if you were going to drive off the track into 9. Turn and dive into the apex at full throttle ( work's in the C5ZO6), there is a slight bump right there, just let the car settle and work up your speed here. The G's will pull you to the left at the entrance to the pit wall. If you just clip the dirt you hit it about perfect.

I have a C5 Z06 with a set of T1 bars, Nitto R2's and Long tubes. Nothing fancy and am able to Run 1:31 here pretty consistent. I have seen 28's-29's in caged T1 cars that are actually a bit heavier ( cage weight ). I like the Button Willow Track better. The speeds are slower with lots of drifting action in the Z. With the bus stop and not going all the way to star mazda the Z will run in the 1:57 - 1:58 range on R2's. I did an enduro last May and cut a 2:00:50 lap in a 5.0 A sedan car. Had several laps at 2:01.

I would think the GT would have an edge on the Z through 6-7, 8, 9 and on the straight. With decent sticky tires I would guess 1:28-1:29's with an experienced driver is no big deal here. Hoosiers should bring it into the 27 range.

I had no trouble going fast at WSIR in my AS 93 Cobra, the security of the cage, someone elses money.....makes you go fast a lot easier. When the C5 Zo6 was new I ran 1:38's on stock tires the first day and got to 36's day 2. It's just seat time that makes you comfortable with the car. More is better. If you have not been to a school try the track in Pahrump Nv, it's a Z06 school, Spring Mountain. The track is built to train. It's an outstanding course and far better than others I have been too in the past. Better to learn in someone elses car than your own IMO. Speak with Victor or Dave. They will most likely let you run some laps in your car at the end of the class.

The C5 Z is an amazing track car, much easier to drive fast than the Vipers. You will gain a real appreication for it after a few hots laps with Dave or Victor.

More power is seldom the issue on a road course. I instruct at a few clubs and seat time is the big factor. If you are going to mod for the track I suggest you start with Belts, Tires, figure out tire pressures for the track you are running. I see too many folks try to up horsepower, they get a little faster but only on the straights. A good driver in a 98 M3 with a set of Hoosiers will easily take a novice driver in a 360, FGT, Z06, GT3. I have pissed off lots of guys like this in a 5.0 Mustang.

The FGT was built for this action and should run at or near the Top of the class. Seat time, Seat time , Seat time:thumbsup