Any well connected Ford people?

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
My dealer has found me a car; however, the downside is that while it isn't built (build date is the last week of July) they are unable to change the specification. They say this is because the chassis/Vin number has been assigned.

Does anyone know if this is true - is it written in stone? Or are there loop holes/people to talk to that can make this happen?

I don't want to change the colour, I just want to add: stripes, calipers and wheels... :frown

I felt sure today would be the day and then the rug got pulled out :ack

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
My understanding is that once the VIN is issued it is pretty much a done deal. My wife bought mine for a surprise 50th Birthday gift, she had to get some assistance from the head of the dealer council to free up an allocation that would allow the specific car I wanted and that had to be b4 the VIN was assigned, this was back in March. It may not be impossible, but I think it would take a favor from a Ford Exec. As an aside, my understanding was that most of the cars built in the 2nd half of July and August were all Canada spec cars so if you are in the U.S. there are not many cars to be built left.

Derry

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Thanks Derry; it's good to know it's legitimate and not just waffle.

This is definately a US car and is Midnight Blue with grey calipers (no stripes, no wheels and no MacIntosh)

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
The GT is in "balance out". Meaning they know exactly how many of each part they will need to finnish the production run. No changes can be made to an order if it is in balance out stage. If this were 2 months ago, you could have changed it up to 2 weeks before production.

Your car will probably be rarer because of it's configuration. If that does not matter to you, those are all easily fixed after the fact.

Scode

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
centerpunch said:
Here are a bunch of blue ones (sorry, some Heritages mixed in since they're blue, too!), probably most have ALL options.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...smission=&doors=&color=BLUE&color2=&x=85&y=10

If you contact them as this poster did http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1679 you'll probably find the car you're looking for.....

As I am based in the UK, I've run into a few issues with respect to sourcing my own GT.

Thus far, this is what I have done: -

I started by doing a Google search on Ford GTs and BIG US based Ford dealers (that is how I came across this site).

I e-mailed 10-dealerships off the back of this search. My request was simple - do you have a GT, could you get me one if you do not?

Out of 10 dealerships, I had 2 responses.... bloody poor show for a country that prides itself on customer service (and one I hold up to my UK employees as an example).

I then called the 2 that responded to my e-mail.

This was painful in itself: -

I'm calling from England, can I please speak with NAME

Let me see if I can get ahold of him for you...

[cue minutes of waiting, listening to muzac...]

He's not at his desk, would you like voice mail?

No, I'll call back...

And so on and so on!

I finally spoke with a lovely, helpful, lady at one of the dealerships who recommended I spoke with Ford Customer Services.

I called them, jumped through hoops and finally spoke with someone who recommended I spoke with Ford GT Customer Services.

I did as asked and spoke with a lady who sounded like she wouldn't know a GT from a Fiesta. After AGAIN explaining my situation, she was semi-able to help. While she couldn't search all the states, for all the available cars, she could search one state and see who had cars, although not the spec of them until she actual delved into the dealership itself.

She found me 6 black cars and gave me the numbers of all the dealerships.

I then phoned each one and spoke to a wild mix of people - some totally useless (one guy offered me an automatic GT.... I KID YOU NOT! After 2-minutes of trying to explain to him they didn't make an automatic Ford GT, we worked out that he was talking about a Mustang!) and some very helpful.

Once I had found physical cars, I started to research shipping, marine insurance, transportation, taxes, etc from this end.

I also spoke with Roush about SVA in the UK.

Once I had done this, I then came on here and started asking questions - and 3 very helpful UK members came forward to offer advice and help with respect to UK GTs.

At this stage, I also went to look at a physical car at a dealer. Don't forget the UK only recieved 28 (?) official cars, so it was looking for a needle in a haystack even to find personal imports for sale. I did however find a local Heritage car and another dealer with Tungsten and Red GTs (again hence my question about colours... it's not nice to buy a car (especially a pricey one) without ever seeing the car in the metal. Once I'd done this, I had concerns about how/if I could actually fit in the car - I'm 6'.3" and 230lbs.

So I started researching adjusting the seat height.

At the same time, there are no test drives in the UK, so Neilda offered to take me out in his car so that I could at least feel the car in motion.

Since that stage I have continued to look into a personal import route but due to the time issue - as well as the time difference between NA and Europe - I've been leaning more and more toward paying a dealer to do it for me. They have US brokers and connections that rely on economies of scale, which make the difference between a personal import and a dealer bought car, harldy worth the trouble.

As it stands, I have a UK dealer who is interested in finding me a car - I have been honest to him about what I want to find (in terms of colour (2nd choice option) and extras on the car) and thus, he is currently trying to source one.

He felt he was close with the car I started this thread about; however, after getting my hopes up that we could ammend the spec, he found out the answer was no.

SO, I hope you all understand that I HAVE done my homework, that all my questions are for valid reasons and that buying a GT in the UK is a frustrating process due to the difficulty of dealing directly with the end supplier.

As for buying a car with options I don’t want, or painting my own stripes on, in short, I don’t see the point in this. I intend to keep this car, not as an investment but as part/the start of my collection and thus, I’d like it to be factory stock. That may sound petty but as it’s mine for keeps, I don’t want to compromise.

I don't just post for the sake of it and nor do I want to waste anyone’s time any more than I want to waste my own; therefore, comments about bandwidth, telling people to use the search function (when they have) and acting as thought the questions I’m asking are ignorant and lame really tend to grate on my nerves. This is a general comment and not directed at anyone in particular but I’d ask people to remember that while this car may be old news to many of you, it’s new to me and access to both it, and information, is limited greatly by my geographic location. Thank you again to those who have been so helpful but the others, I’d ask you to judge me – and my posts – fairly and not with superior disdain.

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
centerpunch said:
I was not judging you, in fact, I'm amazed you got 2 responses from dealers searched that way.

I know you weren't and that is why I said, "This is a general comment and not directed at anyone in particular but I’d ask people to remember that while this car may be old news to many of you, it’s new to me and access to both it, and information, is limited greatly by my geographic location" :)

(PS - we need a normal smile - not a wink, not a laugh, not a big-grin - just a nice, simple, happy smile)

...your ex-web site and information shows how you are here to help others and it is appreciated. However, there have been some snide responses to posts I've made and as I said, while I appreciate my questions may be old to some, they aren't to me AND are only asked after I do a search
icon_smile.gif

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Nomis, you know it might just be easier if you flew over and did it yourself. Sometimes if I need things done in Europe, it's just easier to take a few days, fly over, and get it done the way I want it done. I found this saves MUCH frustration and I get exactly done what needs to be done. Punch is right, look at E-Bay, etc., find what you want, transfer funds, fly over, take care of it, and boom, it's done. Punch and Stefan have some experience with overseas shipping (worrisome weight limit, etc.), so they can probably give some good pointers. Your best bet would be East coast so no shipping across the entire USA.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
GT's in UK found

Nomis, while in Europe last week I flew back via Gatwick and picked up a "Top Marques" magazine from June '06. In it were a few GT's summarized below:

American Car Imports RED no stripes 020 8889 4545
Atlantic Sport Cars Inc Heritage 01582 401 049
American Carriage Co. White/Blue 0208 834 7221
Clive Sutton (2) Heritage & Yellow/ Blk 0207 483 6500
Hindsons Red 01753 648 064
Tom Hartley (2) Blk/ Slvr & Red/Wht 01283 762762

If only 28 landed in UK.... 35% are on the market.

Good luck, :cheers

Mike

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
The last number I heard was there are about 600 cars produced not sold. Of those the majority are what are called 4 option cars. If you are willing to have the radio then it should be an easy search as Centerpunch indicated. I found mine on Autotrader and it happened to be 90 miles from my house. These cars are not hard to find at least in the US.

There are 278 on autotrader today.

Last edited:

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
MAD IN NC said:
Nomis, while in Europe last week I flew back via Gatwick and picked up a "Top Marques" magazine from June '06. In it were a few GT's summarized below:

American Car Imports RED no stripes 020 8889 4545
Atlantic Sport Cars Inc Heritage 01582 401 049
American Carriage Co. White/Blue 0208 834 7221
Clive Sutton (2) Heritage & Yellow/ Blk 0207 483 6500
Hindsons Red 01753 648 064
Tom Hartley (2) Blk/ Slvr & Red/Wht 01283 762762

If only 28 landed in UK.... 35% are on the market.

Good luck, :cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Only 28 'Official' GTs were brought into the UK via Ford and Roush. These cars were all pre-sold and I know of only one of the 28 cars that is back up for sale (a white with blue stripes). These cars were sold for £120,000 and the one that is back up for sale is listed at £165,000! :eek

The cars you mentioned are all 'personal imports' and not part of the 28 official cars. The dealers you asked are well known in the UK and are asking silly money for their GTs (some of which aren't even located in the UK but are still US cars). I can personally import a car for about £118,000 (shipped, insured, taxed, SVA'd and on the road); where as these dealers want £30,000+ profit. Stupid money and I'll be glad to see them all get real; however, this may not occur because many of these cars are 05 models and were bought at the peak of the market and thus these GTs will owe them more than I can bring a car into the UK for.

The guys I'm speaking to in the UK are looking to make £5,000 on a GT, which is fine as they can take the marine risk, use their contacts to buy and take the hassle away from me. AND, they can actually provide me with a car that is in the colour/option scheme I'd like!

Thanks for the info but I've been down these routes :cheers

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Silverbullitt said:
The last number I heard was there are about 600 cars produced not sold. Of those the majority are what are called 4 option cars. If you are willing to have the radio then it should be an easy search as Centerpunch indicated. I found mine on Autotrader and it happened to be 90 miles from my house. These cars are not hard to find at least in the US.

There are 278 on autotrader today.

The broker I'm using has an ex-Ford contact in the US, who has a link into all unsold cars at the dealers. He tells me blue is getting thin on the ground BUT that being said, he may have found another 'ideal' car. I'll have to wait until Monday/Tuesday to find out more! :thumbsup

Even so, I have the Goodwood Festival of Speed to look forward to this weekend! Some nice cars, good friends and fine food to look forward to! Perfect to take my mind off the GT hunt :biggrin

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My GT purchase was considerably easier. Three simple steps.

1. Visit dealer.
2. Hand over obscene amount of cash.*
3. Drive off in brand new GT

Good luck in what is becoming a quest of biblical proportions!

*Neilda is not a member of any financial organisation, neither is he bright enough to know what he is talking about. Your financial investments can go down as well as up. This offer cannot be redeemed in conjunction with any other discount vouchers

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Neilda said:

1. Visit dealer.

Neil,

You're right - I could do that but the problem is I did some research (as you know) and found out what I could buy the car for - hence the silly UK premiums :ack are not an option for me

Ignorance would be bliss :wink ....but I have seen the light and it is $5,000 - $7,000 less than MSRP and no UK-Dealer-Luxo-Tax (I want them to be able to eat BUT it doesn't have to be lobster 3-times a day for 365 days based on the commission on my GT sale :biggrin )

And don't forget, when you bought your GT, US dealers were still selling cars over MSRP and in all fairness, even then, you bought a GT at probably the lowest price available in the UK... so you did what I did, just in a different market and with the stock on hand

toms

Apr 12, 2006
nomis said:
My dealer has found me a car; however, the downside is that while it isn't built (build date is the last week of July) they are unable to change the specification. They say this is because the chassis/Vin number has been assigned.

Does anyone know if this is true - is it written in stone? Or are there loop holes/people to talk to that can make this happen?

I don't want to change the colour, I just want to add: stripes, calipers and wheels... :frown

I felt sure today would be the day and then the rug got pulled out :ack

Generally speaking, a customer can change trim even if the VIN is assigned, up to about 2 weeks before manufacture. Painted Brake Calipers, Racing Stripes and the Light Weight Wheels are easily changed. Not sure about the radio. The GT Ford people have been very difficult to get information from and to contact, at least from the dealer perspective. My guess is your dealer can't get anyone to confirm a change and gave up. I have many stories of non-communication with the plant. :(

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Neilda said:

1. Visit dealer.

*Neilda is not a member of any financial organisation, neither is he bright enough to know what he is talking about. Your financial investments can go down as well as up. This offer cannot be redeemed in conjunction with any other discount vouchers

God, that was funny.

- doc

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
If time spent is equal too money lost, the price is getting steep! I like your approach Neilda and Doc has it right, that was comical. :cheers

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
bigdan40 said:
If time spent is equal too money lost, the price is getting steep! I like your approach Neilda and Doc has it right, that was comical. :cheers

It's called opportunity cost and trust me, the £30,000-£35,000 I'm saving is well worth it :wink

I've also had a lot of fun on the journey and met some good people... if I wanted to buy a wrong spec (for me) or a colour I don't really fancy, it would be easy. But I'm holding out for choice one until someone can confirm that there isn't an option to buy one as they're all built and all sold.

I'm not in a rush, I can wait... I'm patient :biggrin

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
hope you find your bloody car before this thread gets as long as the rally thread :lol :banana :lol

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
bony said:
hope you find your bloody car before this thread gets as long as the rally thread :lol :banana :lol

Well the UK Agent is in the US at the moment and has a spare 24-hours to look at a car that matches my spec.

MJ has pointed me in the direction of a Midnight car, should I wish to relent and have MacIntosh... which at the moment I am trying to avoid at all costs! :ack

I have included Black II in my search, so at the moment, it's a Midnight Blue or Black II GT with stripes, wheels and red calipers.

The UK dealer also has a line on a possible new build car BUT while Ford have said they (a top 20 US dealer) will get an allocation, it has not been confirmed for July - so that would seem to negate that option as I can't imagine a car confirmed for August?!?

Simon :thumbsup

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Geez Louise I had to shave by the time I got to the end of this thread. Here is my 2 cents worth of advice. I owned a blue with/stripes/wheels package. While at the dealer they had the exact same car no stripes. Truth be known I think it looked leaner and more European (no mention of the fer-brand here) without the stripes. With the stripes on the blue the car has a more brutal- "heavy metal rock singer" feel about it.
I ended up getting a tungsten/stripes/mac/wheels/cal-paint. At first I was a little unsure about the color combination but this color/stripe combo also comes across more European. Here is the interesting part. I have gotten significantly more attention in the silver one ( I prefer my animity so dont think I am seeking it out).
In any case if you need to compromise on some combination to get one do it. When you are driving it you wont care about the option package on the car (this will be confirmed by most members of this forum).
Also don’t expect to high a level of service from Ford (and I don’t mean that in a bad way). They sell Mustangs as their sports car and the GT is really an anomolly in their customer service system. You will get a high level of attention while at the dealer but remember you have entered a system that is geared to handle you as customer 1 of 1 billion sales. This is a distinction when compared to buying a lambo or prancing horse.
Best Luck and Let Us Know What You Get!! :cheers