Another one bites the dust

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Picked this photo up from another site (sorry if it has already been posted).

Driver apparently was not hurt (his site post, if that was really him, said he was just testing the air bags).

This makes about a half dozen GTs that I have seen pictures of that have been crunched (I think everyone else has survived, thank God). Since there aren't that many of the cars, that sure seems like a lot. I guess maybe it is also a warning to all of us that the cars can get away if we're not careful. Seems like when Vipers first came out there was a similar problem - I know a guy here (in Az) who just buys crunched Vipers (and yes, there seems to be a constant supply).

A little morbid, but maybe we should have a thread to pay respects to those cars that have seen their better days. These are the quick ones I found. I remember there is one that was t-boned (black one I think) posted not too long ago, and also a red one in a ditch that the dealer crashed.

http://www.imboc.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=48744&forum=1

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/gt40/gt40_20041223_002.shtml

http://www.watt.dk/direct/845720217//billeder/Ford GT/Picture123002[1].jpg

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
AZGT said:
Picked this photo up from another site (sorry if it has already been posted).

Driver apparently was not hurt (his site post, if that was really him, said he was just testing the air bags).

This makes about a half dozen GTs that I have seen pictures of that have been crunched (I think everyone else has survived, thank God). Since there aren't that many of the cars, that sure seems like a lot. I guess maybe it is also a warning to all of us that the cars can get away if we're not careful. Seems like when Vipers first came out there was a similar problem - I know a guy here (in Az) who just buys crunched Vipers (and yes, there seems to be a constant supply).

A little morbid, but maybe we should have a thread to pay respects to those cars that have seen their better days. These are the quick ones I found. I remember there is one that was t-boned (black one I think) posted not too long ago, and also a red one in a ditch that the dealer crashed.

http://www.imboc.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=48744&forum=1

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/gt40/gt40_20041223_002.shtml

http://www.watt.dk/direct/845720217//billeder/Ford GT/Picture123002[1].jpg

so far I've only seen three ones crunched. the ones you show with the thread. Might be the usual media hype, show the same scenes over and over again, and make drama... I doubt there have been so many wrecked, and I guarantee you any of these drivers would have had even less miles accomplished on a Ferrari.. The GT is exceptionally easy to handle, but maybe because of its
low price unexperienced drivers sometimes get a hand on big horsepower (or torque, if Vic reads this<), to go for the literal spin .. (in absence of asc)..

Just some thoughts..

Zilla57

GT Owner
Jan 6, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I have seen these three GTs crunched, along with another red GT a long time ago in New York. I remember reading in Autoweek's But Wait There's More Section how the General Manager of a Ford Dealership took out a SOLD GT for a little spin. He made it about 400 feet from the dealership and wrecked the front end. He claimed "the power got away from him." I'm sure he was promptly fired.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
SLF360 said:
... I doubt there have been so many wrecked, and I guarantee you any of these drivers would have had even less miles accomplished on a Ferrari.. The GT is exceptionally easy to handle, but maybe because of its
low price unexperienced drivers sometimes get a hand on big horsepower (or torque, if Vic reads this<), to go for the literal spin .. (in absence of asc)..

I agree, and I think the GT is very easy to drive. When I was young, I used to tool around in a Hillborne injected 427 (L-88) Chevy (the motor later ended up in a 66 Corvette, with a carb, and ran 10's). But that was so many years ago, that I am going to find myself a big parking lot so that I can get a feel for when the car wants to let loose. Until then, I am being very careful (no, not grandma careful) because I can feel that until you know the car, it would be easy to do a "whoops".

I know of at least two more crashes. The red one by the dealership where it also is in a ditch, and I think I saw the one posted on this site of a GT that (from memory) was crunched on a freeway (?). I will see if I can find them, but that is five seperate ones that I know of. It anyone has those sites, let us know.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Zilla57 said:
...I remember reading in Autoweek's But Wait There's More Section how the General Manager of a Ford Dealership took out a SOLD GT for a little spin. He made it about 400 feet from the dealership and wrecked the front end. He claimed "the power got away from him." ...

That is the red one I mentioned. Ouch - a customer's car. Thanks for reminding me where it was. I'll see if there is an image.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Posting site proposal

guys,

maybe we need a RIP garage here on the site, where we can park the pictures of GT's bent abd crashed to keep track ? Given that we are proud owners of a limited edition, somehow this remains interesting. Like what they say every Enzo crashed increases the value of those remaining, same (in flatter curve) is true here..And, we are the most knowledgable crowd of the Gt anyhow, so legitimite it would be....

DBK (and tha Boyz of course) , give it a thought ....

stefan

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I'm tempted to say that an RIP section would be a bit goulish somehow, but having got to know you all over the past six months or so, I think it's a good idea. Not only to celebrate the car, but to remind us all that we are not Gods!

Roman generals, when given a triumph, had a slave in their chariot as they rode through the streets of ancient Rome receiving the adulation of the crowds. The slave's role was to continually whisper "You are not a God" in the general's ear. That is rather how I see the RIP section.

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
Neilda said:
Roman generals, when given a triumph, had a slave in their chariot as they rode through the streets of ancient Rome receiving the adulation of the crowds. The slave's role was to continually whisper "You are not a God" in the general's ear. That is rather how I see the RIP section.
Very good analogy, Neil. I'm all for a RIP section, if only to try very hard not to end up in it!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
sorry child of the 60's...bad karma, don't want any part of it

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
LEMANSZ said:
sorry child of the 60's...bad karma, don't want any part of it

Did not mean it to be a bad thing, but I understand what you mean. I saw it more of a "we need to respect" the power of the machine and to not let the car take control - to be careful.

The car is very easy to go fast in and for us to maybe get a little stupid. I would bet that we ALL have exceeded the speed limit :) (maybe doubled the speed limit? Sorry officer, we really don't go that fast. I'm only up to 110 .............in a 40). I think the video of the GT racing down the freeway against the couple of cars and blowing their doors off is great (makes me want to do it), but 150 - 160 on a freeway with traffic is probably not a good idea.

Wow - maybe I am a child of the 60's.

Anyway, if it is bad karma and offensve, then obviously not a good idea. Thanks for the impression.

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
...seems like black is quickly becoming an increasingly rare color for the GT. What's with that color? Just coincidence or black makes you feel "bad to the bone" and therefore want to challenge the laws of physics? Uhm, streets are just too dangerous to go fast or to try any tricks with any car for that manner.....that's why there's tracks....

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
This wreck happened in New Zealand, the GT was left side steering. It is very hard to drive a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side. I wonder if this was a factor in the wreck. I have a right hand steering car, and always have to remind myself to take extra care when pulling out from one street to another.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Bony, that's a good point. I remembered that accident had happened in NZ but forgot to tie in the left hand drive element. I certainly find the GT a modest handful here in the UK and try to stick to two lane highways!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Here are a couple more that were previously posted on the forum. I wonder if the black ones are particulary hard to see because of the combination of height and color (maybe combined with night time driving?). Curious if the accidents were the fault of the other driver that hit the GT.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/exotics/4gt40_20051021_001.shtml

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/exotics/4gt40_20051023_001.shtml

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Here is the red one recently posted by Centerpunch

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060209/NEWS/602090802&SearchID=73235231032220

There does seem to be a little pattern that several were crashed by drivers that were probably just "taking a spin" or test drive in the cars and went into lauch mode without knowing the car. Maybe the guys that own and have driven them some have a better handle on what they do. It might be that "seat time" is required before you put your foot in it.

We need to be careful.

Found this later - another case of new drivers (car thieves in this case)

http://www.news10.net/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=14798

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
I second that vis-a-vis traction control. The GT may be very forgiving but it still requires some serious respect. I remember way back when playing with the then new fangled ABS systems and nearly coming unstuck when I got back in a car without them...

What is it with black? They are getting rarer by the week!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
they now are the most rare of the colors, followed by yellow

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
nice

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
More Seat time before Launch time problems

Here is another one posted by BONY.

It is a 9 mile car. New owner of two days wanted to check it out (the pattern is emerging). What is really amazing is that a couple of the cars apparently were run in to poles. Odds?

Also, another black one.

http://sybarites.org/2006/02/26/ford-gt-written-off-by-crash/