Another gulf edition just aquired

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Just took delivery of this brand new Gulf machine.

This is what happens when one has too much time on their hands.

What a hoot.

Been driving it around this past week in Hill Country; FUN FUN FUN

Seems to have either GAINED or LOST a WHEEL somewhere along the way, depending on your point of reference.

Here are some links providing a little information regarding the machine.

Morgan Gulf 3 Wheeler web site:
http://www.morgan3wheeler.co.uk/gulfedition.html

Informative video of the Morgan 3 Wheeler on the road:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmD_YdLl_X0

An unusual story surrounds the acquisition of this machine.

This Gulf M3W is the only “legally imported” Morgan 3 Wheeler Gulf Edition in North America. It is also may be the last one to be manufactured world wide being that their licensing agreement with Gulf Oil ended after my order was placed but before it was actually built. I must contact the curator of the Morgan Archive and Records Department to obtain the actual build number in relation to the total number of Gulf units built. The Gulf Oil licensing agreement was for one year or for 100 units, which ever was to come first.

The short version of how importing this Gulf Edition was accomplished is as follows:

Gulf Oil of North America and the Morgan Motor Company could not come to an agreement during the licensing negotiations, so the Gulf M3W cannot be imported into North America, although licensing agreements were secured for the rest of the world.

When I went to order my Gulf Edition, I was told, “Sorry, the Gulf Edition cannot be imported to North America” for the reason stated above.

Not an acceptable response, so I came back with the proposal to make it as a full Gulf Edition less the Gulf Oil logos so as to not infringe on the Gulf Oil Trademark and be able to circumvent any licensing agreements.

After two days of negotiations, I received approval from Morgan to allow me to place my order for the machine in accordance to the proposal I had set forth.

Contract written, signed, and deposit paid. SUCCESS !!

After almost six months of waiting the machine finally arrives. WOW - low and behold it arrives with ALL factory Gulf logos and accessories installed from the factory; a full on Morgan 3 Wheeler Gulf Edition.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Attachments

• ArrivalAtDealer_zps78d97de1.jpg
    ArrivalAtDealer_zps78d97de1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 569
  • 2013 Morgan Gulf 3 Wheeler.jpg
    2013 Morgan Gulf 3 Wheeler.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 541
  • M3WFront_zps436646b3.jpg
    M3WFront_zps436646b3.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 545
  • M3WRear_zps125314cc.jpg
    M3WRear_zps125314cc.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 541
  • M3WSideLeft_zps87cd83be.jpg
    M3WSideLeft_zps87cd83be.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 560

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Very cool! Those cars (actually a "motorcycle") are quirky as heck, and I love them. I would love to have one with the Spitfire paint. Enjoy it in good health.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Damn that's so cool. Very weird but still cool!

Ain't retirement great. More time for the toys.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Luv Morgans

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Very cool! Those cars (actually a "motorcycle") are quirky as heck, and I love them. I would love to have one with the Spitfire paint. Enjoy it in good health.

Thanks Sinovac.
Yes, it is classified as a motorcycle being there are only 3 wheels.
Been riding motorcycles for now more than 53 years, still have an Indian Chief which gets exercised regularly.
As my age creeps up, I am realizing that injuries hurt more and take longer to heal than they use to.
So now, with this machine I don’t have to remember to put a kickstand down.

Last edited:

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Damn that's so cool. Very weird but still cool!

Ain't retirement great. More time for the toys.

Hey Jeff.
Yes, I am enjoying the new found time.
I have always had a fondness for motorcycles and roadsters.
Open-air motoring in this thing, as on a motorcycle, subjects you to all of the sensations and elements around you.
Will do an engine re-map once the engine is broke-in; a little extra power is always a good thing.
Just got ‘a love it.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Luv Morgans

Me too Kingman.
The 3 Wheeler is now the only model they import into the U.S.; being it’s classified as a motorcycle they don’t have to deal with all of the nanny state regulations.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Please post your impressions about it after you get some miles under your belt. I wonder if it will lift a wheel like a sidecar rig.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Please post your impressions about it after you get some miles under your belt. I wonder if it will lift a wheel like a sidecar rig.

Oh, you mean like a Reliant Robin?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Oh, you mean like a Reliant Robin?

Hopefully not as bad as that pile of junk. lol

Great Top Gear episode.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hopefully not as bad as that pile of junk. lol

Great Top Gear episode.

One of the funniest pieces of TV ever :)

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Already have 500+ miles on the clock.
Is nothing like a side-hack, handles just like a car.
Handling is surprisingly stable and responsive; you would not think so with only 3 wheels.
Key is the 2 wheel independent suspension with rack & pinion steering up front and swing arm suspension in the rear.
Here is another video [the first half is of the M3W - second half is of a Caterham Seven] with the M3W being driven in a little more spirited manor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htI3weS49cc

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great video. When can I come to visit and get a ride???

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Great video. When can I come to visit and get a ride???

Anything can be “arranged”.:thumbsup

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Looks kewl, Fred - :thumbsup

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Looks kewl, Fred - :thumbsup

Thanks Ralphie'
Sherry and I are going to take it out for a run today once the temp hits 60f - 57f right now so I got 'a get going.
Heading out to one of your favorite areas - Center Point Texas.
Winter in this part of Texas is just so darn hard to put up with, no skiing available here.
Adios for now.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Saw one of those race last summer at the Old Timers GP convention at the Nurburgring. Driven by a British lady, and she hauled ass around the circuit, lots of sporty oversteer Saw her later in the paddock, shot this on my phone.

[video=youtube_share;MWy9dGZiYYo]http://youtu.be/MWy9dGZiYYo[/video]

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Saw one of those race last summer at the Old Timers GP convention at the Nurburgring. Driven by a British lady, and she hauled ass around the circuit, lots of sporty oversteer Saw her later in the paddock, shot this on my phone.

Yep, they can move right along.
Not nearly as fast as the GT, but it still has just as much of a fun factor [different, but still a lot of fun].

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I saw an original in a service station last year filling up. Must have a small tank. Very interesting vehicle and looks like tons of fun. This was after a car show and the owner was driving it home, some 30 miles. This was a totally restored vehicle he had owned for 12 years. Please post more pictures and get you a leather helmet and goggles which look great with it.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I saw an original in a service station last year filling up. Must have a small tank. Very interesting vehicle and looks like tons of fun. This was after a car show and the owner was driving it home, some 30 miles. This was a totally restored vehicle he had owned for 12 years. Please post more pictures and get you a leather helmet and goggles which look great with it.

Hi Tomy,

In a get up like that, I would have to change my name to the “FRED” BARON.:eek
Goggles – Yes:thumbsup
Leather Helmet – I don’t think so:willy

Sherry and I took it out for another 100+ mile jaunt today.
Good weather for top down motoring; or should I say no top motoring?
Machine ran superbly.
The 2 liter S&S engine is a torque monster considering the weight of the machine.
Morgan says it will do 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds [I don’t think it will do that based on what I am experiencing] but it is still pretty quick.
It is an absolutely enchanting machine.:bow

Fuel capacity is not very large at 25 liters or 5.676 gallons.
Fuel ratings are:
44.9 mpg Highway
21.1 mpg City
30.3 mpg Combined
Range is about 200 miles, plus or minus, if operating as a normal human being [which of course I always do].:biggrin

More pictures to follow when I stop driving it so much.:cheers