Amazing Helicopter Piloting

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Breath taking operation BUT Not in windy weather,

If I ever need a "lift" I would like this guy to do it.

Full screen and sound on…. https://www.youtube.com/embed/qJHlXe_RnYo

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
An Ace for sure !

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Yeah that's breathtaking alright and amazing !

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
That's how they put up wind turbines and I put A/C units on roofs.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ski lift towers have been doing it this way for the last 40 years or more...

Tomcat

GT Owner
Watch a LAMPS helicopter land on a "small boy" at night.
Translation, every day AND night young Naval Aviators take-off and land on a pitching/rolling/yawing patch of landing pad on Cruisers/Frigates (about the size of their rotors) in all kinds of weather for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Totally Amazing. Everyone in that video is my new hero. Not sure I am interested in any part of that project! Brave men for sure.

Mike

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
For the last few years, new and old helicopters are being modified with Auto-hover which is similar to a fixed wings auto-pilot but with much faster data update rates. This is a huge improvement for helicopters. In the past, it was almost impossible to keep a helicopter over a point on the ground because the wind is constantly changing, and even a very light wind will cause the helicopter to drift across the ground. Consequently, the pilot must constantly correct for the changing air currents and aircraft idiosyncrasies so the pilot is always behind the drifting and trying to correct back to the desired position over the ground. The auto-hover now automatically corrects for all these factors and will keep the helo steady over one spot on the ground. Don't know if the helo in the video has auto-hover.