All I want for Christmas is.....

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
....a Ford authorized passenger side Takata airbag!
I even asked Santa for one the other day and he just shook his head!
Lots of posts on this issue but my situation is a little different. I can't complete the importation of my blue 05 into Canada (can't register or licence it) until all of the safety recalls are removed from the car's vin. The only recall sitting there is the Takata passenger bag. While I really enjoy looking at the car, I bought her to drive so I'm really looking forward to the day that I can drive her (thankfully it is winter now so I wouldn't be driving her anyway).
I had hoped to drive out to last year's rally to meet meet you guys, many of whom I feel as though I already know as a result of reading your posts. Maybe 2018 will be the year!
The reason for my post today is that we seem to have some very knowledgeable and connected members of this Forum. I was wondering whether anyone might have an ETA on when this recall might be available? I can't wait to be able to drive my car!
Merry Christmas and thanks for any help.
Dave

Rick Mustang

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2016
Central Texas
I had similar issue when purchasing my '05, and I live in the U.S. I passed on a Canadian car because of all the extra hoops I would have to go through to import the car with a recall. I needed letters from Ford to U.S. Customs explaining the issue. At the time there were other cars on the market, and Canadian cars seem to be valued less than U.S. cars.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I have a wad of URGENT URGENT URGENT letters from Ford telling me to get my airbags replaced. Every time I’ve contacted the dealer, they confirm that they actually don’t have both sides available. Sheesh

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Does Canada really block the import if the parts aren't available? There were reportedly some dealers refusing to take cars in on trade (like Mustangs and virtually every Honda) but that nonsense ended.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I have a wad of URGENT URGENT URGENT letters from Ford telling me to get my airbags replaced. Every time I’ve contacted the dealer, they confirm that they actually don’t have both sides available. Sheesh

Ford did have the driver's side and replaced mine. I just turn off the passenger side air bag if someone is riding with me. (unless it's my lawyer) lol

Adios

GT Owner
Apr 24, 2010
E. Washington State
I just changed the driver side airbag on my GT.Ford tec did it in ten minutes,Asked the service manager what Ford was doing about passenger side airbags. They were told Ford was acquiring enough complete the recall. I was told this two weeks ago.

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
We replaced the driver side bag in my car before it came to Canada. It's only the passenger bag that is holding up the import process and leaving me in GT purgatory! I have explained to the government agency that deals with imports that no fix is available, no one can say when it will be and that I can turn the passenger bag off using the key, thereby eliminating any safety hazard. Doesn't seem to matter, which is why I was hoping that someone on our Forum might have a little intel.
Of course, if Ford were to offer me the use of a NFGT loaner until this airbag mess was resolved, I'd be ok with that too;)
Dave

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Ford Safety Recall 16S26
NHTSA Recall 16V-384.
Passenger side airbag inflator replacement: Parts not available to date. No ETA available from Ford.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I got a letter in the mail today that says spring 2018. More here:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/34373-December-2017-Passenger-Airbag-Recall-Status

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
Thanks Tony- I had just read Santa Xcentric's post! Great news!
See you at the Rally!