Airbag recall question

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Sorry to beat a dead horse but I saw somewhere on the forum that some of the service techs didn't know how to properly change the bags in a FGT. I searched for that thread but couldn't find it. They REALLY want me to get those replaced even though that was done in 2007. I have gotten numerous calls and letters from Ford but the local dealers wouldn't come to me. I also requested a certified GT mechanic which the only one is about 75 miles away. I told them I wasn't interested in driving that far and waiting around so they offered to send someone up to drive my car down there for me. No thanks. Anyway they have finally decided to send their guy up here to my house to change them out. My question is: What is the issues that arise if they are not familiar with the car? Are there any unique parts that they must bring with them to complete the job? I would like to ask if they have what they need before they come up here. Scheduled for later this week. Thank you for any advice and sorry if it has been answered already.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Good luck (y) and who did you find that's doing it? I didn't know we had any certified GT mechanics in FL.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's a fairly straight forward swap. The driver side is a canister replacement only - they should not change the center cap so if you have bubbles, you'll still have bubbles.

Passenger involves removing the lower dash panel which is a single piece that goes from driver to passenger side. It's held in with some clips. But, the center portion across the trans tunnel/radio is narrow, and it's best to have two people handle the two sides. They send only one person so offer to help. Take plenty of pictures of the steering wheel and dash panel covers in case they damage them.

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
I live in Tampa. They said there was a certified GT mechanic in Sarasota. I suppose I should confirm that.??
Good luck (y) and who did you find that's doing it? I didn't know we had any certified GT mechanics in FL.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I live in Tampa. They said there was a certified GT mechanic in Sarasota. I suppose I should confirm that.??

Oh I didn't mean to imply it's not true. I certainly don't know everything. Was really just asking who it is, while somewhat surprised I hadn't heard of somebody in FL before now. But still, yeah, I would certainly try to confirm.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Sarasota Ford has a GT tech, or you can call Heffner.
Best,
Mark

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Any Ford mechanic at the nearest Ford dealer can do the recall. I removed the driver’s side bag and sent to Shelby to repair the steering wheel emblem ( 15 min effort) As mentioned,the passenger side could use a helping hand but not complicated at all. The previous concerns involved mechanics scratching the upholster etc. The airbag recall campaigns did not start until around 2011.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
The GT tech (Rick) at Sarasota Ford is terrific. He is meticulous and services many FGT's and NFTG's in the area. If that's who gets sent, you're getting the best. If not, drive to Sarasota after making an appointment to have Rick do the job.

Reactions: dreimer

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Thank you for the replies. After watching the video posted on the subject, it looks like an easy enough job. I would rather do it myself (if they would give me the bags) but if they are sending a guy to my house, that is very convenient. Especially if it is Rick, the mechanic that was mentioned in the above posts.
I remember some years ago thieves were stealing airbags-I could get one of those dudes to to the job in just a few minutes.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
I had mine done a couple of years ago at a dealership and they "forgot" to record the number of the replacement, so I still keep getting recall notices from Ford. I recommend taking a picture of the unit with serial number showing before install, and another once in place.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
The local dealer sent a mechanic to my house to change my GT500 bags. I took the units out myself prior to him showing up. He replaced them on the bench. He then installed the bags only and checked for no error lights. I then finished the visible parts install. The mechanic was great and only touched the bag parts, I did the rest. You should be able to do the same. Be sure to follow the proper procedure for removal.