Air Inlet Sag and Rear ClamShell...

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
I am taking my car in to have the alignment of the clamshell looked at. In addition to finally starting to notice the body panel gaps do not end in the same plane (seems as if the entire thing is on twisted (under gaps on one side and over on the other). Also the back driver side bend rubs every so slightly when it is opened.

Well looking at this I noticed the smaller higher air inlet on the clamshell has a very poor fit for the internal piece. It is really hard to describe unless you look at it, but the surface inside the inlet is a separate piece. In other words the clamshell itself ends and the final visual surface is finished with a small inset piece. This inset piece on the top, does not follow the curve at all. It seems to hang down. See pic

So my questions are

1) Has anyone had any success with having the clamshell aligned? I want to figure out if it is a pain in the neck or not. I might live with it for longer if it is.
2) Anyone have this poor inlet fit? Any attempts to have it fixed? My sense is that it would not be a simple pop out the bad one and put in a new one, but may even require some repainting (just a guess).

Thanks!

IMG_2553.JPG

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You seem to be the first. Other people have had panel alignment problems, but no scoop reports that I've seen. How does your clamshell open? Is it easy, or are there problems? Neilda had some gunk on his from shipping that seemed to aggregate in the back corners. When he explained it to me, I had the same thing. He does have the body panel alignment figures and drawings, so PM him and he can PM them back to you.

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
The clamshell operates just fine. The only issue (if it is one) is that when you pull the release it dosent crack open. You need to knodge it a bit. I guess that is a bit of a drag now that I think of it, and I think it did pop right up the first few times I opened it. Oh well will have them look at that as well.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
05redrich said:
The clamshell operates just fine. The only issue (if it is one) is that when you pull the release it dosent crack open. You need to knodge it a bit. I guess that is a bit of a drag now that I think of it, and I think it did pop right up the first few times I opened it. Oh well will have them look at that as well.

Mine doesn't "pop up" either. I have to lift it using the upper vent opening. I haven't noticed the deformed vent piece you have but I do have a "paint booger" there.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
oh, that's ugly...never seen that before, they need to fix that. As for the opeing issue..I just give mind a little whack...and it pops up.

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
Clamshell Re-alignment

I just spoke to my dealer regarding a small re-alignment. I am experiencing a bit of rubbing on the rear panel when the clamshell is fully open. The dealership's GT Team Leader's response was that their policy was not to attempt such adjustments due to the overall complexity and collateral impacts of trying to adjust the body panels. This seemed to make sense. To me, the rubbing is not worth risking a case study in complexity theory.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If that is Ford's policy, how do they ever repair the body in the case of an accident? Do they have to fly out a factory expert?

I understand that you may choose to leave well enough, alone. But this just reinforces my belief that it will be difficult to find competent service for the car.

BlackICE

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My car had the exact same problem with one of my inlet scoops. I noticed it prior to delivery and the dealer replaced the part before I brought it home.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I've had two minor problems with the shell. The first is that there was a rubbing of the paint under the clamshell on top of the side air inlet vents on both sides which I fixed with T&B tape added to the clamshell where it was rubbing on the inlets (out of view when shell is open). The second is the plastic louvers on the indent on the back of the clamshell. Being Black/ Black the softer plastic warped and the seal between the louver and the clamshell became distorted. Warrranted and changed in ten minutes via three screws each side. Also picked up a second set for later (just in case)

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
BlackICE said:
If that is Ford's policy, how do they ever repair the body in the case of an accident? Do they have to fly out a factory expert?

I understand that you may choose to leave well enough, alone. But this just reinforces my belief that it will be difficult to find competent service for the car.

BlackICE

No Ford does not fly people out to fix body damage. You use local shops in your own area or where ever you see fit to have your car repaired.

Dave

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
Chris,

Any idea what was involved with the repair? how long did it take, etc?

rich

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I had alignment problems and they were corrected as good as possible by the dealer.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My clamshell was all over the place - I could get my whole thumb in a gap on one side and not even my little finger on the other side. Roush, here in the UK, realigned it. They explained that it's a complex movement (which it is) and some fine tolerances... however they realigned it perfectly.

It had never touched or damaged the paint surfaces though. Double check that area - it may not be undercoat you're seeing but a delivery wax/residue.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If I'm not mistaken, for real body work, GT's are to be forwarded to the body shops that service Jaguar aluminum car bodies (probably holds true for Aston-Martin as well.) I don't know the exact count, but there were at least 50 body shops in the US that were certified to do this aluminum body work.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
fjpikul said:
If I'm not mistaken, for real body work, GT's are to be forwarded to the body shops that service Jaguar aluminum car bodies (probably holds true for Aston-Martin as well.) I don't know the exact count, but there were at least 50 body shops in the US that were certified to do this aluminum body work.
In Italy, it is Aston. Not a bad place to park or pull in...

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
05redrich said:
Chris,

Any idea what was involved with the repair? how long did it take, etc?

rich
I was not there for the repair but I was led to believe it was very simple. The new part came in from Ford, they removed the old one and bolted in the new one. If I had not known the scoop was defective upon delivery I would not have known any work was performed. I've got to believe they could do this while you waited if they had the part in hand.

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Body work repair - i.e. not panel realignment but serious crash damage - is performed by Aston Martin only and at Newport Pagnel Works Service. As the Vanquish is a similar build technique, that's why they were chosen.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I noticed an alignment issue on my clamshell prior to delivery and they said they would fix it prior to delivery, that it was very simple and just a couple bolts. My hood also didn't want to latch closed, they again said not problem, just an adjustment.

When I picked her up, she was perfect. I can't imagine it's more than a hour or two of work. If you dealer doesn't want to do it, find another dealer that has a better GT guy.

In Florida, we've got one of the best.

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
I had the same exact issue, panel gaps not even and it rubbed a little when opening. I was able to fix it by loosing the bolts and readjusting.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
My clamshell was just rubbing a small amount right at the rear corner where the bumper and shell meet on the drivers side.....dealers body guy and I adjusted of all things the BUMPER and fixed it..there are 3 metal rods in the bumper and 2 of them are slotted for movement...also we found that whoever put the bumper on put the attaching screw for the 3 pieces on the top of the bumper (Bumper, cover plate, gasket) though only one hole..so the gasket wasn't fitting right...All is well now and I got me free touch up paint if I ever need it :)

Matt