Air filter change

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Even if the filter looked good it should be changed after 10 years, more often in wet climates. Paper, cloth, foam do go bad. imagine a WOT pull and sucking in a wad of filter. Engine would probably be fine but your shorts would be ruined forever.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Thanks to Kendall @nota4re for the tips. I think I would have gone insane trying to pull the airbox out without rocking it backwards. An extra set of hands to put it back in would be helpful but not necessary. My little tip as far as reconnecting the airbox to the intake boot: Tried for a good 10 minutes to slide the airbox directly into the boot. No go for me. Instead, hook the top of lip of the airbox under the top of the boot then swing the bottom into place. YMMV

Reactions: dshears

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Even if the filter looked good it should be changed after 10 years, more often in wet climates. Paper, cloth, foam do go bad. imagine a WOT pull and sucking in a wad of filter. Engine would probably be fine but your shorts would be ruined forever.
We had another forum member get a chunk of an old filter stuck in the throttle blade an high speed.:eek:
Had to shut off the vehicle and brake/coast to a stop to address.