A Track Day Observation

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Vic said:
If you are willing to sacrifice the seat adjustment rack, you might be able to bolt the seat right to the floor. This is basically what I did with my GTS. I always have the seat all the back anyhow, so its not like I lost functionality. If I sell it, I can always put the adjustment rack back in.

That is a great post about your track experience! Bravo! I live vicariously through your exploits! hah hah!

When driving at speed, especially on a track, it is important for you to be rather upright and not reclined. This allows the lower part of the torso to become more sensitive to movements of the car alerting you to make adjustments.

The more reclined you are the less sensitive your body becomes because your butt is no longer the early warning sensor. Also your arms become straighter causing additional stress and become tired much more quickly. Arms should be slightly bent thus reducing stress. The idea of having outstretched arms is no longer an accepted driving practice.

If your posture is poor it definitely impacts your driving skills. Thus being wedged into the car with your helmet up against the roof is a problem as Neil implies. Anything that would lower the seat as Vic suggests would be a big plus.

Even at 5'10" with short legs I am wedged against the roof unless I recline the seat back, losing some of the early warning senor ability.

Dave

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I agree. My posture is less than ideal in the GT when wearing the helmet, however tracking the car is an associated benefit rather than its central purpose so I'm going to end up looking like that guy in 'The Incredibles' for a while longer!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
centerpunch said:
I prefer a somewhat upright position when driving on the track too, but I think most Formula 1 drivers would maintain that they do pretty well from their reclined position.......

They are not reclined as much as you think. Look at the in car pictures.

Dave

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
They sit in that position to get a low as possible to keep the frontal area small. Just like us taller drivers of GT have to sit more reclined than optimal just to fit into the car.

BlackICE

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
These are the other photos from Goodwood...

Attachments

• L1000265.jpg
    L1000265.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 81

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Looking clear

Attachments

• L1000274.jpg
    L1000274.jpg