A New Color

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Can you speculate as to why Ford would take that position? I agree, it appears even at a high price-point demand will exceed supply. Are they making these at a loss? Will D.O.T rules change soon? If profitable why wouldn't they just continue to pump them out?

I can understand the limitations on how quickly they can produce them, but not on capping production.
Even if Ford was able to make Porsche-level margins, total profit on a niche car would be lost in the rounding of global sales. Decimal dust. The profit makers sell in the 100s of thousands.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
If you want one you will be able to buy one new or on the used market. Don't worry.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Can you speculate as to why Ford would take that position? I agree, it appears even at a high price-point demand will exceed supply. Are they making these at a loss? Will D.O.T rules change soon? If profitable why wouldn't they just continue to pump them out?

I can understand the limitations on how quickly they can produce them, but not on capping production.

I think there are a variety of reasons but a primary one is that Ford is not in the business of building supercars on a continuing basis and the construction of the car necessitates a slow production process. They could certainly accelerate the production process by compromising on some aspects of the car, but this is a maximum performance effort, so they are willing to sacrifice volume. I also think the extraordinarily compressed timeline between the decision to build the car and when it hits the road really focuses the program.

I will be very, very surprised if Ford makes any money on GT after all the expenditures related to the program are accounted for. That said, the press the car will get them would cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

Ford also just generally doesn't like dedicating resources outside of core business. GT is a fun diversion, but it's a blip on the radar.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Even if Ford was able to make Porsche-level margins, total profit on a niche car would be lost in the rounding of global sales. Decimal dust. The profit makers sell in the 100s of thousands.

Good point......so its just not worth devoting the resources I guess (?), even if each car produces a marginal profit.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Come on, it's just a car

I am also totally relaxed about this. It took Porsche until November 2014 to sell all of the Porsche 918 hypercars (less than 1000 cars). OK, they are somewhat more expensive compared to the price region we are looking for the new GT, but still comparable. The hype will go down in a few months and those that are still intending to buy are going to find out what the price really is and if the desire is still burning as hot :wink

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I am also totally relaxed about this. It took Porsche until November 2014 to sell all of the Porsche 918 hypercars (less than 1000 cars). OK, they are somewhat more expensive compared to the price region we are looking for the new GT, but still comparable. The hype will go down in a few months and those that are still intending to buy are going to find out what the price really is and if the desire is still burning as hot :wink

My thoughts too

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
FWIW, I think the car will be easier to obtain in foreign markets than the U.S.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
FWIW, I think the car will be easier to obtain in foreign markets than the U.S.

ummmm what? lol

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There, happy? :lol

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
No problems with that :)

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Car looks great in person in this color! Seen it yesterday.