700 HP Electric Car....Yes you can in the U.K.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Found this article about a "real" electric car for sports car guys. I posted the article but the link to the page is http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=567196&topart=newcarresearch if you would like to see the photos.

Very good looking car if it ever gets made, but I bet it will be a maintenence nightmare. It definitely is not a Chevy Volt! :cheers

Will Lightning Strike in the UK?
A native car company unveils a 700-horsepower electric supercar at the British Motor Show 2008 — but will it really work?

Well here's a shock: a good looking British sports car (sorry Lotus). This is the Lightning GT, and instead of guzzling super unleaded it creates 700 horsepower using batteries.

Or so the Lightning Car Company claims. But we'll leave off being cynical for a moment (don't worry, it is only for a moment) and continue telling you just how good this thing looks. It is all classic GT: long hood, low curving roofline, and massive multi-spoke alloy wheels, complete with a major surprise.

View Pictures: Lightning GT

Those blue discs? They ain't the brakes — at least not in the traditional sense. The Lightning GT uses four hub-mounted electric motors, providing direct drive to the wheels. Combined with just 30 battery packs, these deliver the electric equivalent of "700 horsepower+" and each motor can be individually controlled.

This means the car can modify the speed of the wheels depending on steering angle and velocity, and presumably any other parameter the team can program into the system — suspension load, for example. This should lead to exceptionally dynamic handling — assuming all the computers are talking to each other.

Zero to 60 mph will, apparently, take less than four seconds — "when it's fully developed." This leads us to the more eyebrow-raising areas of the Lightning’s specifications. Having just 30 batteries is surprising enough (most electric supercars use far more than that), but the claim is these give the car a 300-km [186-mile] range — on just a 10-minute charge.

This is, quite frankly, unbelievable. That's not to say the Lightning Car Company hasn't achieved it — it does have video footage of the car moving under its own power displayed on the stand at the British Motor Show 2008 — but we would really like to see a full demonstration before even thinking about handing over any money.

Lightning officials say deliveries could start in 2010, but the company still requires investment to make that happen. It also claims "£20,000+ [US$40,000+] savings on annual running costs versus equivalent petrol sports car" — very bold. But if your biggest concern is the lack of an exciting engine note, fear not: the Lightning GT includes a “sound module.”

You can blast out the sound of a smooth V6 or throaty V12, or cruise along in serenity of silence. Make of that what you will. We love the concept of the Lightning GT — the look, the idea, the innovation, the British engineering. But my goodness, we need some convincing that the thing is really going to work.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
nice looking car- hope these claims can be met......

but something about a british electric car and the name Lucas keep crossing paths in my mind:lol

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have just managed to update the aircon in my Rolls Royce to the very latest unit featured below....

1754_Electrical_machine.jpg

Joking aside, electric cars are a complete con - as is global warming in my opinion. Man made C02 makes up 0.117% of the atmosphere so taxing the hell out of us has nothing to do with global warming. Electric cars use heavy metals sourced from the far corners of the earth and are not recyclable - they won't last as long as 'normal' cars either.

Unfortunately the planet seems largely populated by mouth breathers who spend their time licking windows and believing the rubbish about global warming.

The earth heats, the earth cools down! It was hotter in medieval times.

Breath deeply............................

........and relax............. :biggrin

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
:agree:

Plus how about giving it an original name instead of combining the names of two Ford products. :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well, the car LOOKS good anyway! Me likey! :biggrin

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Here some pics

4 E-motors per wheel (4WD) sums up to 650 HWP and 750 Nm (at every RPM!). As a gear is lacking, speed will be limited to 200 km/h.

Not bad! I guess the Saudi's won't appreciate this development...
Desi

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

http://magazin.autoscout24.de/gallery_new/items/ga_Studien/ga_Lightining_GT/006.jpg

281cammer

Aug 20, 2008
Pretty cool car!! Too bad it will probably be WAY overpriced :(

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
You know technology like this is really cool to me. I often find myself questioning just what it is I like about cars. Is it the sound? the speed? the smells? When I was younger twisting a wrench on a $1500.00 MG-TD or Fiat 124 that I just bought it was also blood, sweat, and tears. But I have found that over the years the drive has gotten more sanitary ... more sterile. Its kind of like the debate we got into a day or so ago about BMW's. I love the 335xi. Why? Because it does everything I ask it to do so well. It handles, its fast, it looks good, it gets me from point A to point B on time and without a fuss, and its relatively inexpensive to operate. And that just might be the point ... its great transportation.

There is room at the table for both. Cars that make you "tingle" ... like the FGT / GT 40 and new technology electrics/hybrids/whatevers. which are great transportation. Reminds me of Will Smiths character in I,Robot. He had a bad ass futuristic Audi that did everything for him... then he had a motorcycle that was raw, fast and ran on Gas. Great scene ...

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Did Lucas :ack do the "electrics?"

:lol

PS - I hear you can now buy canned smoke to put back into Lucas systems....

Last edited:
106cf1715fc84aa49c1b84f9954fe67e.jpg

Awesome car!